New Bronco dead before it was alive?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Bronco dead before it was alive??

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH
Char said that she read the the new Bronco project was dead in the water because Ford's top management didn't want to introduce a vehicle that would "only" sell 60,000 units per year. Has anyone else read this, I can't find the article in any of my mags.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently read something like that. It was either in the new Four Wheeler or last month's Popular Mechanics.

Sucks, doesn't it?

Yep

I saw that somewhere too, but I cannot remember where. I remember reading the 60,000 unit sales figure, Ford's estimate that it wouldn't reach it, and the resulting decision. I don't know if I read it in a magazine, on this website, or somewhere else on the internet though.

[Edited by GJarrett on 06-14-2000 at 08:05 AM]

Just another disappointment. Ford doesn't have the guts to be a leader and to be first with anything. Chrysler may be #3, but at least they have guts. They broke ground with the Viper, Prowler and even with the styling of the Dodge Ram. This year Chevy is going to break new ground with the Avalanche.

Ford is still stuck with the "you can have any color as long as it's black" mentality. How sad. Ford get off your butts and support your enthusiasts!

I'll pretty much say kudos to what everyone else has been saying. I remember when companies would make these awesome vehicles but everyone is ruled by the almighty dollar and I guess we can't really blame them for that. Ford used to make the Bronco (the old style I'm talking about) which was a great vehicle but then they said "we are selling x amount if we keep it as is, if we make it more of a family vehicle (larger, more seats, etc.) we could sell two times x. Then they took the bronco and said "well if we made a foor door version we could sell even more, then they realized that the two doors weren't selling as well as the four-doors and wouldn't be releasing a 2-door only model anymore as it isn't worth the production if they only sell x amount of units again. I loved the old old broncos, loved the newer ones too, but they go with what they sell the most of, whether we often like it or not, heh heh.

this guy i work with went to the ducks unlimited convention in memphis and he was talking about a ford hymelaen(spelling???) expedition that was the coolest thing he'd ever seen...just wondering if anyone else has heard of it

Ford needs to grow some cajones and put something REALLY different out. Sure the Sport Trac is, but Nissan and Dodge both have similar ones. The new Tbird is kind of, but at $40k, how many people an afford it. Ford canned all enthusiest cars. The SHO, SVT contour, Tbird SC, Bronco. Now if you've got a family great, but I hope I don't have kids for 8 yrs and I want to have fun in the mean time. They're putting out a "high performance" ZX3, but come on guys, it's a little 4 cylinder and it's small. And again, I hope someone from Ford is reading this, WHERE IS THE 5 SPEED!!!! I want to buy a Ford but I can't. In the words of Dr. Evil, Throw me a fricken bone here!

Damn....

Check out page 10 of the July 2000 Four Wheeler...it's in the Letters section, under the heading "Sound Off"; a fella from Fremont, CA was going off on manufacturers for not making a stock trail-capable truck or SUV. The editor then came back with the story of how Ford was considering bringing back the Bronco as a "bare-bones four wheeler, while offering numerous customizing options." Says that despite a lot of excitement around the project and Ford getting back to it's four-wheeling roots, it was killed by "the top levels". They decided it didn't make sense since they couldn't project more than 60,000-70,000 unit sales.

BULLSHIT!!!! How many Wranglers are sold annually? I can't begin to express how much this disappoints me. How the hell are we supposed to stay loyal to Ford when they won't build the vehicles we want? They have so many damned 4x4 station wagons, why not build a tough four-wheeler and include that market (i.e., US)? The Escape should have been designed to compete with the Wrangler, not the CR-V and RAV-4; it should've been the second coming of the classic early Bronco. Damn them! I'm done holding my breath. I'm very close to picking up a 93 Sport with insanely low miles and manual hubs, transfer case and tranny, but the Wrangler and Cherokee are mighty tempting considerations.

The Expedition Himalaya was a concept truck introduced at the SEMA show, in 98, I believe. Cool looking truck with 35" tires, rear tire carrier, no rear top (like a Big Bronco), roll bar, off-road (still independent) suspension and the 4V 5.4L V8 out of the Navigator. However, God forbid Ford offers an off-road oriented truck from the factory, so we'll never see the damned thing. If I find a pic, I'll post it.

Sorry to rant so...just really frustrated, just like the fella from Fremont who sounded off in Four Wheeler.

they also forget that some of them ost capable off-road machines sold off the lot, lets say a wrangler <shudder> sells millions of units... but 95% of those will never see off-road, quoting the MGD commercial "the only time this SUV will see any off-road action is if it accidentally backs over a flower garden!" so Ford could make one just for four-wheeling, and people nto interesting in using it for off-road at all would buy it, if it looked cool enough :). Occasionalyl 'll see a wrangler dropped and with big fat tires... <shuddering again>

It is kinda sad that we, the customers, are posting here on this message board and others, screaming for a capable off road vehicle and none of the manufacturers are paying attention. We all know that Ford is reading this message board. They come out and play with us and yet the refuse to address our concerns. There was the one little survey thing that was posted her last year. What became of that? Nothing. It is just an archive on the board.

Ford has the perfect opportunity here with this message board to get an idea of what their customers (who are willing to pay) want in a 4 wheel drive vehicle. I have said it before and I will say it again. They just don't care. If Ford had any balls they would survey they membership of this message board. I am sure that this is one of the largest gatherings of current/future Explorer owners. With this message board they have a free marketing survey but they refuse to make use of it. I wonder if they are actually reading what we post.

I have been a loyal Ford owner and fan for as long as I can remember. I am in the market for a new vehicle and I have money to spend (and I am not alone) but Ford doesn't care what you or I want. Let me tell you this Ford Motor Company, unless something changes drastically and in a hurry I will go elswhere when it comes time to buy a new vehicle.

I agree Paul, 100%. They don't care. They care NOTHING about their customers. I also have been a loyal Ford customer. There has been a Ford in my household for over 20 years. I don't see myself buying another one with the company in this state. I think an Infiniti QX4 or something along thiose lines would serve me just as well, for the same money as my Limited, and I'd have good service from a company that cares about me.

[Edited by Stephen on 06-20-2000 at 09:31 PM]

This is quoted from the salesman that sold me the Taurus. "All new Ford SUVs are nothing more than 4WD grocery getters, it's pretty sad actually". I asked him about who off road worthy the Escape was and he started laughing. HEY FORD YOUR OWN SALESPEOPLE THINK YOU'RE A JOKE!!!!

Paul- for $34000 US, you can get a basic Land Rover, which is pretty nicely equiped to begin with. I think that would make a great off road vehicle, even out of the box. A used one wouldn't be that bad either. Of course you are still buying from Ford.

I haven't met a salesperson yet that knows anything about the capabilities of the vehicles they are selling. This is not limited to Ford sales people selling Explorers.
They are taught on how to sell a vehicle to the average car buyer that drives it to work or grocery store and goes on a trip every now and then (on the interstate). If you read one or two car magazines and a road test or two of the vehicle you're interested in, you probably know more than the salesperson.
If you're an enthusiast (offroad, sports car, whatever), you definately know more than the people in the showroom. They know all the little 'koowl' things like where the power outlet for the cellphone or computer is hidden under the dashboard, but ask them to explain the difference between ControlTrac and AWD and you get a blank stare. Maybe a 'Oh, the AWD comes with the V8', but that's about it. Ask an Explorer salesman how to change the Kleenex box in the center armrest and I bet you he doesn't know.
Sorry about the rant, but a car salesperson is trained in selling to the average car buyer which is 98% of their clientele. That's were the majority of their money comes from and that's what they're concentrating on.
Come to think of it, can't really blame them. They too have to make a living.

The salespeople at this dealership specialize in trucks, 70% of their business. It's the biggest truck dealership in WNY. What's funny is he came out and told me that by himself. True most salepeople don't know half of the products they're selling but this dealership they know quite a bit. When I got my Explorer, at another dealer, the guy didn't know what engine was in it...possibly a V8 he said...it was a 93.

Originally posted by Peter Weber
Ask an Explorer salesman how to change the Kleenex box in the center armrest and I bet you he doesn't know....

Peter, he'd have a real hard time changing mine! ;)

Gerald, can't expect them to be aware how individual vehicles are customized :).

Gerald, just thought of something. Did you 'customize' yours because you ran out of Kleenex and didn't know how to get a new box in there . :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats true, car salesmen are pretty clueless. My son knows everything about cars, I mean EVERYTHING. I know a lot but he knows more. Its funny whenever we test drive a car, the salesman always talks to him not me! I asked the Lexus salesman if the Nakamichi stereo had RDS (Radio Data System. I had just driven a Cadillac that had it) he didn't even know what that was. I test drove a 95 Lincoln Continental before I got the STS. I asked if the air ride system was the same as the system on the 93 Continental I was trading in. He said, oh Lincolns dont have air ride. When you're talkin 'bout air ride you're talkin 'bout Cadillacs. Well, I had owned two Lincoln Continentals, they have air ride. When the test drive was over, I showed him the air ride switch in the trunk. When you switch it off, it says "Air Ride Off" in the message center. Oh, but Lincolns don't have air ride :rolleyes:

Back