New Bronco in 2010 - too good to be true? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Bronco in 2010 - too good to be true?

Paul N.

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fredericksburg, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
Just saw this on fourwheeler.com - a lot can happen in two years, but it sounds good...

"Okay, first, the bad news: It’s been reported by a variety of online sources over the weekend, and we can now confirm that Ford will indeed discontinue the Ranger next year. But wait, there’s more . . .

Now, the good news: Ford will re-launch a new midsize truck, to be known as the F-100, in late 2010 for the 2011 model year. The new pickup, to be based off a chopped and lightened F-150 platform, is said to be roughly 4/5ths the size of the current F-150 and will be available, a’la the Dakota, with a choice of V-6 or V-8 engines; the 250hp, 3.5L twin-turbo direct-injection V-6 will be offered as standard equipment with the 4.4L V-8 available on upscale trim packages. Among cab configurations to be offered will be a genuine five-seater crew-cab model. (Translation: Adios, Sport Trac.) We’d be perfectly happy with the base V-6, but we have one request: Can we get ours with a stick tranny and a rear locker? Please?

And now, the totally-awesome-*****in’ news: To compete against the Jeep Wrangler and the upcoming Hummer H4, Ford will manufacture a midsize 4x4 SUV off the same chassis as the upcoming F-100. And yep, the vehicle will be called the Bronco, and according to sources, it will have solid axles at both ends, a removable top, and a fold-down windshield a’la the Wrangler. The new Bronc’ is slated to go on sale around the same time as the F-100. We’re happy to see that the success of the new Wrangler has convinced Ford execs that there’s still room for a trail-oriented 4x4 sport-ute in its small SUV line, and we can’t wait to get our hands on one.

Finally, a brand-new Ranger based on a still-under-development Ford global mini-truck chassis will launch in late 2012. We’ll pass along more info about all these new trucks as soon as we hear more about them."

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We can only hope it stays true to this concept...

bronco concept.jpg

Was there another thread about this somewhere? I had seen one already..maybe it was on another forum.

I doesn't look great, but I know ford could make it worse. So lets all just pray they don't.:p:

Yup, here's the other thread about the Ranger. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=209318

That's great news about the Bronco though! I can't wait to see what Ford will bring to the table. Solid front and rear axles is already even more than what i would have expected from them. It's about time they realized that an offroad-oriented vehicle can be successful if executed in good fashion - a la Jeep Wrangler and Cherokee for the past several, uh, DECADES!

That's not going to be on the street... the street model is going to be MAJOR! You can bet on it..

Is today April Fools?:scratch:

I read somewhere about 2 years ago that ford was deticated to the Bronco, only they we're going to keep everything super hush-hush as long as they could until launch... I mean come on....How hard would it be to take a Flex body, shorten it, raise it, put it on a frame and change the nose....and BAM!! Bronco!

I now name the "New Bronco "... NB ;) Get it:p:

If it has IRS... will it be trash?

If it has IRS... will it be trash?

Yes. It'll make it as capable as a third gen Explorer -- more or less useless off of the pavement. If Ford does that it will never be able to compete with the Jeeps or Hummers that it's going to be trying to steal the market from.

^Colin's right... IRS is really the future... can you imngine a truck that had a auto level type system or something that would extend the tire down...to keep you from rolling over. If done right it could be un stopable...It just take all the fun out:rolleyes:

Correction - 3rd gen is not yet a rock crawler, but it does perform very well otherwise :) But the Bronco, notice the bottom of the pic? It is sealed off... IRS.

IRS with an 8" clearance?

Yes. It'll make it as capable as a third gen Explorer -- more or less useless off of the pavement. If Ford does that it will never be able to compete with the Jeeps or Hummers that it's going to be trying to steal the market from.

IRS isn't the end of the world, as long as it's designed right and not going through the damn frame...

^Colin's right... IRS is really the future... can you imngine a truck that had a auto level type system or something that would extend the tire down...to keep you from rolling over. If done right it could be un stopable...It just take all the fun out:rolleyes:

8" inch clearance, add 35" tires plus room for a 2-3 lift, this would be a good thing, no?

8" isn't really much? Mine has 12" or more I think.. I'll have to check;)

the Bronco, notice the bottom of the pic? It is sealed off... IRS.

You are correct! The picture is a concept vehicle from a couple of years ago - it was built on the Fiesta platform.

That's why I posted the article - first time I'd heard that they were going to build it as a body on frame vehicle with solid axles and a removable roof...

Ah! Removable roof would be sweet! (Fiesta platform, hahaha!) :)

The full-size Bronco was the last of the real 4x4's, outliving the Dodge Ramcharger by a couple of years. They were great trucks. Sure, the ride was harsh compared to most sedans, but this was before the SUV craze, which popularized the loss of 4x4 capability in the interests of "comfort." The people who would buy an "SUV" have no real business driving a real 4x4 like the Bronco.

I loved my '90 Bronco, and yes, it was less comfortable on the highway than a car, later Explorer or other SUVs, but it was a truck after all, and it was great off road.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are correct! The picture is a concept vehicle from a couple of years ago - it was built on the Fiesta platform.

That's why I posted the article - first time I'd heard that they were going to build it as a body on frame vehicle with solid axles and a removable roof...

My bad for posting a rebadged Fiesta. My approval was meerly based on the looks which I love.

As for IRS, anyone whose watched the Baja races, those trucks are IFS and IRS and can tackle just about anything. However, most OEM IRS that comes off of assembly lines currently isn't any good for things tougher than a gravel driveway.

Back