• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

New Cam Chain Tensioners

ssfrebo

Reaction score
City, State
Rock Port Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I just had my 99 SOHC in for new chain tensioners at about 22,000 miles. Before Ford replaced the tensioner, it sounded pretty bad on cold startup. It could rival my neighbors F-350 Diesel with respect to startup noise. Here's my question. Is the Ford fix supposed to eliminate the chain noise completely on engine start? I still get a very minor chain noise at startup, only when cold though. Or is some minor noise considered acceptable even when the tensioner is working as it should.....Scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

beachn974door

Reaction score
City, State
South Mills, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport Trac
Noise within 30 seconds of start up was acceptable last I heard.....I think. Don't quote me on that!

Nate1

All 4 wheels locked
Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville/Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 FZJ-80
WAIIT. I'm having the same thing done on my '99 Sport. I realize you are under 35,000... but did it cost you anything, or was there a specific program to protect you? I'm paying $1300 to have it done. :fire:
-----Nate

ssfrebo

Reaction score
City, State
Rock Port Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I didn't pay a dime for the repair, since it is under the Ford six year/100,000 mile extended warranty. Also, I understand that if it happens again during the warranty period, it is still covered. Again, this is for the tensioner only, no guide work etc. I don't know what they are charging you 1300 for, but this work involves a 50.00 repair kit and no more than a couple of hours work.

beachn974door

Reaction score
City, State
South Mills, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport Trac
There is a program for the front tensioner and upper and lower intake gaskets. But that is all that it covers. The program number is 01M01. For that price you must be getting tensioner cassettes done also. Which is alot more involved than just the tensioner. Hope this helps. Oh and by the way the program is good for 7 years or 100,000 miles which ever comes first.