• Register Today It's free!

New Cam Chain Tensioners

ssfrebo

Reaction score
City, State
Rock Port Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I just had my 99 SOHC in for new chain tensioners at about 22,000 miles. Before Ford replaced the tensioner, it sounded pretty bad on cold startup. It could rival my neighbors F-350 Diesel with respect to startup noise. Here's my question. Is the Ford fix supposed to eliminate the chain noise completely on engine start? I still get a very minor chain noise at startup, only when cold though. Or is some minor noise considered acceptable even when the tensioner is working as it should.....Scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Noise within 30 seconds of start up was acceptable last I heard.....I think. Don't quote me on that!

WAIIT. I'm having the same thing done on my '99 Sport. I realize you are under 35,000... but did it cost you anything, or was there a specific program to protect you? I'm paying $1300 to have it done. :fire:
-----Nate

I didn't pay a dime for the repair, since it is under the Ford six year/100,000 mile extended warranty. Also, I understand that if it happens again during the warranty period, it is still covered. Again, this is for the tensioner only, no guide work etc. I don't know what they are charging you 1300 for, but this work involves a 50.00 repair kit and no more than a couple of hours work.

There is a program for the front tensioner and upper and lower intake gaskets. But that is all that it covers. The program number is 01M01. For that price you must be getting tensioner cassettes done also. Which is alot more involved than just the tensioner. Hope this helps. Oh and by the way the program is good for 7 years or 100,000 miles which ever comes first.

Back