Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 EB, '93 Limited
My question is,

I am going to rebuild the engine in Red and I am looking at upgrading the cam while I'm there. I really want to maximize the low end grunt of the 5.0 since I am using it in an off road, DD setup. More horsepower would be nice, but not necessary.

I have seen some cams mentioned like the E303 and the XE264HR, but I am not sure what I need exactly to install either in a stocker.

Thoughts?

Oh and I know the exhaust sucks, that will be addressed later after I get a running engine again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im and currently doing research myself, and i keep comming back to the stock cam is the best for the weight of the explorer/torque, e303 sucks,

2 consideration:
1 is the stock valve springs are to soft... so you will need to upgrade them(even the stock HO mustang cam is to much lift for them)
Alex parts has a drop in spring kit.
2. its my understanding the explorer ecm has a hard time with different cams and is less forgiving than compared to the foxbody ecu.

still doing research myself, im sure some others will drop in, just what i have gathered so far, i have a 96 5.0 that will eventually go into my 94.

I don't think you'll have any trouble at all with the ECM, but the springs will need to be revisited for sure.

Your cam will do all you need with the crap exhaust systems that can
be crammed in such a little space.

1. Advance the cam 2 degrees. It will drop the max torque down lower by at the expense of top end.
2. 4.10 gears to take advantage of low end torque multiplication.
3. A big nasty torque converter (like from a Crown Vic).
4.Smile when you crawl up a mountain!

Alphabet cams were designed in the dark ages.

XE264HR

was specifically designed for trucks with the 5.0 it makes more torque down low then the other cams
This is the BEST CAM choice for your application
The E303 cam is okay but not as good of a grind as the comp 264hr

You will need new valve springs and PROBABLY longer pushrods or rocker shims

I just went over the install of this cam in the 2007 Ranger build Im a doing, including part numbers, spring install and how to measure for correct pushrod length to get the proper valve train geometry
I did a month of research before buying the right camshaft.

the stock cam SUCKS!! There is power to be had with the right camshaft upgrade but you MUST match the valve springs and pushrods to your setup.

The stock exhaust manifolds are choking how much power you can make with or without a cam upgrade, remember just by adding headers the explorer engine gains 24+ HP......with cam it gets more, intake, good exhaust and you are starting to see the potential

Thanks for the recommendation 410! I was hoping you would put your 2 cents in.:D

Fortunately the heads were completely redone with a new valve job, however I will need to replace the valve springs if i go with the 264 cam. I noticed you used 6.3" pushrods in your '07 build, I'm assuming I would still need to measure for mine? (Probably due to the resurfaced heads and different gasket thicknesses, right?)

I may splurge on some torque monster headers or OBX ones if i can find them. Since I have a freshly rebuilt 4r70w behind that engine with less than 15k miles I think Red will be set to handle the power! I probably won't change the intake, Kris and Russell had the stock one powder coated red for me (as well as some other parts) when the V8 was first put in, so it has sentimental value. I'll be happy with a lower torque band and a little more horsepower never hurts. :burnout:

yes should measure for every engine combo, having the heads machined = pushrod length changed!
You may decide to run some roller rockers too....To me they are too noisy with basically zero power gains in our rpm range so we stuck with the stock stamped 1.6 ratio and save $$$$

Stock explorer cam is basically HO mustang....its like so Ho Hum soccer mom performance in a huge pig of a 4 door exploder, a good cam really wakes these suckers up. Of course the other mods help to make it all work together....like the converter, shift improvements, and pcm tune.....

My BII is all stock still as far as the engine goes, in the next year or so I plan to change that with the cam and finally get a tune possibly some aluminum heads and all new exhaust :)

What springs did you wind up using for the new cam? I read in your '07 Ranger build that you changed them because of the valve lift?

yes the factory springs are weak weak for this much lift you must upgrade the springs
I ran the springs Comp Cams matched to my cam, they are Super super nice springs to hold in your hands quality throughout! I mean they are springs but as far as valve springs go I am very impressed with the quality from Comp Cams....I did get angry with Comp cams for a couple of reasons like they sent the wrong retainers at first and it took way longer then they originally said...but now that is hindsight.

What are the right retainers?

Ill get the invoices out today and post up the part numbers
If you order everything from Summit, Amazon ,jegs etc you can save some $$$$
The pics I took when I resized them to post online you cannot read the part numbers anymore
I will make sure the part numbers for the cam, springs, spring cups and retainers, pushrods, and valve seals are in the thread and posted here.
I am planning this same cam upgrade for my BII as soon as funds allow

So this is the package I'm looking at, minus the pushrods, as I need the measurement tool to double check the length. I can hold off on the rest of it until I'm sure its right, but I need the cam now so that I can get the cam bearings pressed when the block is machined.

Cam.png

However, I need to verify the retainers and dual valve springs. The description says I may need to clearance the spring seats to clear the larger OD of the new valve springs. I guess I'll have to measure that on the head first.

@410Fortune can you chime in on the springs and retainers you used for your build? The ones I'm looking at have a 10° valve locks instead of a 7° like in your build.

Yes let me get the invoice out for you today! I got sidetracked earlier....will do this am

Back