New Complete Leaf pack, 2.5/3" lift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Complete Leaf pack, 2.5/3" lift

MickeySpiers

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
The 14 year old Rancho springs on my Explorer are shot. I've really liked the on-road ride with the Rancho springs, but they don't make the kit or the springs anymore. Duff doesn't sell their parts individually, so they're out as a replacement venue. Since my stock rear springs are 22 years old with a 14 year old AAL, I'd like to replace them with a new, full spring pack. The Deavers are not only expensive, but much softer than I want for my daily driver so they're out. Skyjacker appears a decent alternative tho they may also be softer than I'm looking for... I've read that the Rough Country lifts don't have the greatest lift components, but how are the springs themselves? Have I missed any alternatives? I plan to pick up a set of coils that match the rear springs from the same company. Which makes SkyJacker lower than the Rough Country option as I've read that SkyJacker coils are soft, and need spacers installed to get the correct height. I'm running 32s with my Rancho lift, no rubbing, so I woud like to get like coils in there.

So I guess the question is, what can I get that is like the Rancho leaf/coil setup I've got now? Unlike most users on this forum, I don't want an uber-flexy suspension, I want one that doesn't have the truck wallowing around on asphalt where it unfortunately spends most of its life. Opinions welcome, I haven't been able to find much on these smaller lifts with complete leaf spring packs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most companies only offer the AAL to go with a 1.5-2" coil lift.

The only company to offer a 2.5-3" rear leaf spring for the Explorer is Old Man Emu. They are decent, but also flexy.

Do you have to have new springs? Unless they are really shot, you can usually bring new life to old springs with rear shackles and front spacers. Even just lifting it 1/4" with Warrior WAR123 shackles (not WAR153) in the back and two or three 3" diameter washers in the front as spacers can put things back into alignment and restore some spring tension.

Don't forget you can also use leaf springs from a newer Explorer, the springs from the 2nd gens fit a first gen just fine, so you can grab a spring pack at the salvage yard from a much lower mileage Explorer, perhaps throwing in poly bushings and maybe a new AAL if you want, and be back in business on that end. 2.5" springs aren't all that common but you can always use the 1.5-2" springs and F-150 spacers to get around the same height.

Have you called Rancho to ask about parts availability? They might even have a bunch of old stock in a warehouse somewhere and have some springs or kit parts they'd love to sell you for cheap.

Do you have to have new springs?

Have to, no, but I'd like to get away from the sagging, worn out stuff. I just finished replacing every steering component outside of the steering wheel, and the springs and coils are all that's left of the suspension that I haven't revamped to new. I've seriously considered a new, OEM leaf pack and another AAL for the back. Shackles and spacers don't do anything for suspension travel, so I want to avoid them. I guess I figure the original set lasted 22 years, hopefully another set of new stuff will get me another 22 years.

Have you called Rancho to ask about parts availability?

I just finished a fairly extensive rebuild of the truck which included the full Poly set from Energy Suspension, and the radius arm and sway bar bushings didn't work with my Rancho setup. I spent a decent amount of time on the phone with Rancho and they informed me there was nothing left of those old lift kits, which they apparently discontinued in 1999 about a second after I bought mine.

Unfortunately there's no getting around the leaf spring sag, even if you buy brand new, they will sag within a short period of time due to the weight of the fuel tank on the drivers side. Best bet is usually to get a set off a low mileage Explorer, and swap them so the drivers' side spring is on the passenger side and vice versa. This way, it levels out somewhat and the drivers' side sag isn't so bad. Those WAR123 shackles or the AAL helps get back some of the lost height.

You can count on those Rough Country leaf springs sagging down to 2.5" or even less, so you could get those, then swap sides after awhile to even things out and get the 2.5" lift you want.

Slightly longer shackles do help flex some, AALs hinder it. I'd agree longer coils are certainly better than spacers, but it might be a good temporarly measure in the meantime if you want new coils but can't find anything for a 2.5" lift. Perhaps a member here will read this thread and has some old Rancho 2.5" coils and parts laying around. Otherwise if Rough Country makes 2.5-3" coils, you could go with those. They aren't the best, but if you're looking for street performance and not a lot of flex, you might be more than pleased.

Feel like selling the radius arm and sway bar bushings if you're not going to use them?

Unfortunately there's no getting around the leaf spring sag, even if you buy brand new, they will sag within a short period of time due to the weight of the fuel tank on the drivers side.

I've been lucky with the uneven sag. Sitting in the garage with a brimmed tank of gas (hit Costco tonight) I measured 20 3/4" from the center of the center cap on the passenger side to the top of inside of the (unmodified) fender arch, and 20 5/8 on the drivers side. 1/8" difference with 17 gallons of fuel isn't too bad after 14 years! I hope my next set treats me as well. For what its worth, the front measures 20 1/2" from center of hte hub to the top of the inside of the wheel arch, I wonder what that equals in lift height...

Slightly longer shackles do help flex some, AALs hinder it. I'd agree longer coils are certainly better than spacers, but it might be a good temporarly measure in the meantime if you want new coils but can't find anything for a 2.5" lift.

I totally agree about the AAL hindering flex, which is fueling my search for a whole new set of springs. Hadn't thought of shackles helping tho, good point. I'd love to hear a review from anyone with the Rough Country stuff to see if they are any good... And the spacer thing may be what I have to do if I can't find a good replacement coil - my current issue is that with the sagging front end, the camber (or caster? Can't ever remember which is which) is too far out of whack, and the tops of the tires are slightly aimed at each other, even with the big ball joint adjuster dingle-whoppers installed and maxed. A little more lift, and I'd be within spec and stop chewing through tires. Them Nitto's ain't cheap!

Feel like selling the radius arm and sway bar bushings if you're not going to use them?

Absolutely, PM me and we can work something out, I'd be glad to get them to someone that can use them!

The camber is off, but you don't need new springs for that. Find a place that sells fasteners and buy some big 3 inch diameter washers with a 1-1/4" hole. Use those as alignment shims and stack them 1, 2, 3 high to adjust the camber back to spec and restore the lost lift height. You don't lose any flex doing this, and it will help out the suspension a ton by putting all the parts back into alignment. It'll also save your tires.
Hard to beat for a few dollars worth of washers. It'll actually cost less to do this with washers than it would if you bought new alignment bushings, and you get the height back rather than just compensate for the spring sag. Even if you get new springs, the washers will always be handy to have for future camber adjusting needs.

Back