New computer and need help programming keys | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New computer and need help programming keys

Mitchs07explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Meridian, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT V8 AWD
07 XLT V6
For a reason or two (mostly transmission related) I wanted to try a new computer in my explorer. I went to carcomputerexchange.com and gave them the vin and all that good stuff. They sent me what I assume is a matching “refurbed” computer (had dust around the plugins). I installed it and ran through the key program procedure and all seemed well but I can’t get the vehicle to start. It’s a no crank no start so it’s obviously the PATS system. What I don’t understand is that I’ve ran the key reprogram procedure 3 or 4 times but can’t get this new computer to recognize the keys. I know I can contact an automotive locksmith to program the keys but I was hoping to avoid that expense as I’m not sure a new computer is going to fix my problem anyway.
I put the old computer back in and it fires up just fine. I’m wondering if anyone has reprogrammed their keys themselves and can tell me the proper procedure or if I’m going to have to go to a locksmith.

Do you have Forscan? If so, you can go to the website and request a temporary extended license (free) to get into PATS.

If you don't have it, you owe it to yourself to get it if you are working on Fords.

Do you have Forscan? If so, you can go to the website and request a temporary extended license (free) to get into PATS.

If you don't have it, you owe it to yourself to get it if you are working on Fords.
I do have forscan, I forgot about accessing PATS through that program, thanks for the heads up.

Back