new computer in older truck to control newer trans? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new computer in older truck to control newer trans?

tootalltechie

Reaction score
City, State
Prince George, BC Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1986 ranger STX/1992 Aero
Hi :)
I was just wondering if anyone has tryed to swap in a new computer to control a newer automatic transmission?
I have a 1992 Aerostar 4.0L EAWD and thinking of changing the transmission (A4LD) to a more modern version. Has anyone done this in a Ranger or Explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

interesting thought...but i dont have the answer.

Any transmission above the A4LD would require a different wiring harness. Which transmission do you have in mind (4R55E, 5R55E)? You would need the PCM from an OHV engine, not a SOHC engine.

I'm thinking of any of those that would fit in my Aerostar. Wiring is no problem to me, I'm a Electronic tech. I have to hook up the transfer case (T28) to the transmission. I have 93, 97 truck service manuals on CD plus there is the info I can get from the local library. I figure using the computer from the vehicle that the transmission came from is cheaper than getting a stand alone controller. But this all could be wrong since I have not done it yet.

not wrong at all

why not grab the later model 4.0L engine along with it and complete the swap? It may make it easier then trying to mix a OBD-I engine wiring harness/sensors/fuel system with an OBD-II transmission controller.

I dont think you will find a stand alone controller for the v6 automatics on the market?

First decide what year trans you want to use, then work backwards from there.

Read the sticky thread about the 5R55S Swap into a 2nd gen.

Back