New Diaries... what do you want to see? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Diaries... what do you want to see?

Glacier991

EF Tranny Guru
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA 95827
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
I have been gone a lot the last few months..... and have a lot of possible diaries sitting in my garage. In time I want to do them all, but would like to know what you all want to see first, second, etc. So far I have pretty well done the A4LD rebuild and A4ld VB rebuild. I have done a 5R55E VB rebuild (one of the most popular threads on the board, which I find interesting), and am finishing up a pretty comprehensive 4R70W rebuild....

Here is what I have in the works...

A BW 1354 TC rebuild
A BW 4405 TC rebuild

An A4LD "Frankentranny" rebuild
A 5R55E Rebuild

And on the horizon....

A 5R55E/W Frankentranny rebuild.

I have limited time this winter.... though more than the past 6 mos when I have had little time. I'd be interested to know what you all want to see first, and in what order. I cannot get them all done this winter for you, but want to do the things you want to see and benefit from. So this is your chance.... let me know!

ps. the 5R55E/W is speculative and will need some help in getting a W for disassembly and comparison. Not even sure it is doable.

pps. It helps to know someone wants the project results to buy... because my $$ layout will come back sooner when I know I am not just building a beautiful piece to sit in my garage.

Tell me what you need/want to see.

Glacier (Chris)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd like to see the transfer case diaries. BW1354 mainly. :D

I'd LOVE to see an E/N frankentranny with a gear ratio swap (if that is mechanically possible).

We briefly discussed this over PM a long time ago, but just to get it out in the open:
The first gear ratio of the 5R55E is 2.47 where as the 5R55N's first gear ratio is 3.25 -- which is almost a 32% increase in torque :)

For everyone else, the N has the highest set of ratios up until 4th gear (numerically higher). The S and the W are next in line and the E has the lowest ratio (numerically).

How much different will your A4LD Frankentranny be from Brain's? I wonder if any 5R55 (W) (S) (N) parts could be thrown into an A4LD? I know that the A4LD Frankentranny uses 5R55E parts. A diary on a CVT would be very interesting if you could ever get a hold of one. I know that they also make 6 speeds. This could also be a possible diary.

Brain's Frankentranny thread is to my mind the single most innovative thing on this entire forum. He was thinking WAY out of the box. He is my hero.

I'd like dearly to find out what in the W/S/N series might be reverse compatible if it was an improvement.... and hey, if it fits there, might it work its way into an A4LD frankentranny? concept ! Brain taught us to ask the questions, and experiment....something rarely done in auto trannies until him..

So... help me find a W or S or N and we can start comparing.

I'll stop whining in a min, but photo threads take huge amounts of time to put together... and when i have to come out of pocket for parts etc... it becomes a huge undertaking in many ways. Section525 donated a 4R70W and BW 4405 to the effort and I thank him. Help me locate a W,S or N nearby! Done whining.

Help me locate a W,S or N nearby!
I see that the N came in 99-up Lincoln LS and the Jaguar X200 while the W and S came in 02-up Explorer. Anyone know of other vehicles these transmissions were put into so it would be easier to spot at local yards?

According to this link: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0107_2002_ford_thunderbird/ the 2002 Thunderbird should have the one from the Lincoln LS. This is what it says: The only powertrain offering, at least at first, is carried over from the LS, in the form of its all-aluminum, 3.9L DOHC V-8 teamed up with Ford's 5R55 five-speed automatic transmission. The V-8 produces a respectable 252 horsepower at 6100 rpm, and 267 lb-ft of torque at a fairly lofty 4300 rpm. The only substantive differences are a lower final-drive ratio for a bit more off-the-line punch, and a burblier dual-exhaust system. Curiously, and unfortunately, the 'Bird does not offer the Lincoln's SelectShift sequential shift programming.

13-54 would be interesting.

Manual transmissions aren't very common anymore, but I wonder how much interest there would be in an M5 rebuild diary.

It's not transmission/transfer case related, but you did a nice front brake diary. I think a rear drum brake diary would be a nice addition. Drum brakes, with all those springs and adjustor mechanisms and such can be intimidating the first time.

Do you have any interest in differential rebuild diaries? People here are always talking about regearing for larger tires or other reasons. Some are interested in installing carrier replacement lockers/limitedslips/spools (or even lunchbox lockers). Some want to replace the clutches in their Trac-Lock. All of which could be accomplished based all or some of a diff rebuild diary. I expect there would be some interest in diff rebuilds. If you were interested, I think this is what I would be most interested in seeing.

Why not show how to use the transmission tester that you have?

In order...

Another 1354 vote.... and Mr. Shorty I'd be learning right along with everyone else on a diffy rebuild... but DO like to learn and share, so I will keep that in mind. I would also like to do an M-5 rebuild... though again it would be new territory for me. My hydraulic press would be a valuable aid.

I'll do a Diary or maybe just a thread on the trans tester, that is an excellent idea. Thanks James (your next box is about packed my friend).

BB, I started that during my last A4LD rebuild and ran into sound problems and really could have used a cameraperson.... the tranny was due to my customer and so I forwent the video to get it done on time. I would like to make videos of rebuilds of the A4LD, 5R55E and 4R70W.... time. I need more than 24 hours in a day. (sigh) I will keep working on it. My Frankentranny rebuild would borrow HEAVILY from Brains, but be formatted more like the 4R70W Diary I am working on now. I'd have a few additional changes as well. The Frankentranny is one I'd really prefer to pre-sell to finance. I'd kinda like the first one to be mostly virgin new parts if possible. (I already have a brand new A4LD VB for it!)

Meanwhile I appreciate the inputs.... I'll keep listening if you all keep talking.

FIND us a 5R55W... the idea of Frankentranny II is exciting. (If even possible).
Input.... need INPUT (Johnnie5)

Thanks guys...

I don't want to get off of the topic, but I found a rebuild video on the internet a couple of days ago for the 700R4. It is a big download (212MB). Is there a way to add this to a thread on this forum for people to watch, and download? I'm sure some people might be interested in it.

Other than a link, no.

I have a 4R70W I might be able to build to meet those specs. What year Mustang?

I have a 4R70W I might be able to build to meet those specs. What year Mustang?

LOL ut oh

It is a 90. The car is currently equipped with the AOD. I had planned to rebuild in the future and add the wide range gear set found in the 4r70w and a lentech valve body with electronic O/D....It would likely be stronger and cheaper to start with a 4r70w and make it work though...... Are there many differences in the cases for mounting purposes? I think the bolt pattern is also differnt on the bellhousing...

really I was just joking as you did not have an AOD as an option in your first post...but....

You are right, the AOD case is different. The 4R70W guts can go into an AOD case though. Get me an AOD case and AOD VB and I can do what you want. Upgrade possibilities to a real 4R70W are possible, with electronic swaps (like lentech). Main advantages are the VB improvements in the 4R70W.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

been a while since i've been on, kinda forgot my password, i hate when it forgets who i am then i forget everything else.

i'm interested in either of the TC rebuilds, or maybe an awd franken-case for the V6 trannies.

Back