• Register Today It's free!

New EGR Valve Design?

ruzztec

Reaction score
City, State
McCreary County,KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT 4.0/99 XLT 4.0
So i replaced the EGR valve on my girls 1993 explorer and as I completed and satrted the 4.0 i heard exhuast. After looking around i saw and felt that there was a hole made in the elbow of the EGR valve. a smaller hole below it where a provided screw can screw in. Now i dont like the exhuast pouring out under the hood but i have no part to bloack this hole off. Id this an aftermarket thing? Why would you have a hole there and should i epoxy it shut or hook something into it? I presume that on some models soemthing can attace their but in my case i merly have a plate that should screw in prehaps it was presumed to be on the old one yet was not. Can anyone give me some input befor I start using EXPOXY!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That hole was probably on the old one, too, and there was a little cover that bolted on to it. I had this problem too, and when I went to take the old cover off, it just broke. I ended up bolting on something else I rigged up with a little steel and a bolt. This is a good time to get inventive, just find someway to cover that up that can take the heat of exhaust.

Well i looked at the old one and it doesn't seem to have a cover at all. Hmm but yes i do have an expoxy that can take around 500+ degress F so it will do the job....iv had success using it on slipt boating exhuast repair. Just checking with you experts befor i went in sealing something shut only to find out i didn't need to and have to get another $45 EGV valve. Thanks bunches!

Sounds great! I thank you for your time sir

Try J-B Weld to seal it.

Back