• Register Today It's free!

New Engine, Big Oil Leak

brysonj

Reaction score
City, State
Powhatan VA 23139
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 EB 4x4
I recently inherited a family members 1995 Explorer EB 4x4 (vin X) free of charge on the condition I was willing to fix what was wrong. So, after a new long block engine, automatic transmission, starter, exhaust system and fuel pump it seems I should be set to go for awhile...but not exactly.

I took my time in taking this thing completely apart and putting it back together myself. This is not the first car I have done in this fashion, but admittedly I am somewhat of a novice on Ford. The idea was to have a reliable daily driver, no frills...

The first 500 miles have been rough, but searching this forum has been very helpful. My first big problem involved a 4R55E transmission arrived with a bad EPC solenoid; swapping out the old one fixed that problem. Next was a timing cover seal that I promptly ruined by not removing the plastic seal protector in the balancer before reinstallation. That first oil leak was a quick fix.

Problem #3 might be the worst yet. A more serious oil leak (dripping at idle) has developed centering between the engine and transmission. I strongly suspect the rear main to be the culprit. I have some questions about this.

The new engine arrived with a tag stating that I was to use gasket sealer on the flywheel bolts to prevent oil leaks. The bolts from the old engine had no sealer on the flywheel bolts, and I have never known the 4.0 to be an engine where the flywheel bolts pass through an oil passage (I know this is not the case on all ford engines, however). So, I did not apply sealer here. Does anyone know if any 4.0 cranks have oil passages that are open to the flywheel bolts?

The new engine arrived with another tag indicating not to "overtorque the flywheel bolts" to prevent oil leaks. This was a new one to me...while I was careful to torque the bolts to around 65 lb/ft, could overtorquing here somehow damage the rear seal (I don't see the connection)?

Assuming I tear this thing apart and validate that the leak is coming from the rear seal, (and not the flexplate bolts) the service manual indicates replacement to be a tricky proposition, involving some specialized tools. Does anyone know where I can find this tool? Any tips for doing this right? I don't have a garage lift so R&R in the auto trans is a real chore, don't want to be making a habit of this.

Catching a lot of "I told you so's" from the wife IRT the reliability of this vehicle so I need a fix that will keep me out of the garage for a while.

Appreciate all comments and suggestions.

Certainly does sound like your having a headache of a time. I do not recall hearing about the flywheel bolts passing through any oil passages. I highly doubt it. I did a OHV 4.0 and there was no such tag/sticker. Is this a new engine, reman., or junk yard? Are your valve covers tight? Maybe they are leaking down the rear making it look like a rear main seal. I guess if you pull the engine out again you'll be able to tell for sure, but the best of luck to you.

-Drew

Back