New engine installed, turns but won't start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New engine installed, turns but won't start

The_Commodore

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
I put a new 92 engine in my 91 and wired everything. I can turn the engine with the starter, but it won't start. I pulled out a spark plug and turned the key, it does not spark. Anyone know what the problem could be?

So, the starter is doing it's part, but you don't see spark from the spark plugs. Do you have fuel pressure at the fuel rail? Does the ICM have power? Does the PCM have power? Are you certain you got all the connections back in place? so many possibilities, especially where you've just installed the engine, that I really don't know where to begin.

I checked the fuel pressure and its ok. I also changed out the coil pack from my old engine, had no luck. I assume the ICM and PCM are the computers, where do I find them? I have never worked with car computers and don't really know what they look like.

PCM=Powertrain control module aka main computer. On my '92 it's behind the kick panel, just below the glove box, just forward of the passenger front door.

ICM=Ignition control module. controls ignition timing, in conjunction with the PCM. Mine is located in front of the battery, next to the radiator.

Back