New Engine P2197 code | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Engine P2197 code

weshag

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
P2197 Sensor Signal Stuck Lean - B2 S1

I just started my new engine after a slow and steady installation. Everything is good except for a P2197 and running a little rough. New items that pertain to the drivers side and fuel system.

New O2 sensors
New fuel filter
New plugs
New wires
New injectors
New PCV
New Camshaft sensor
=================================
Edit** Adding numbers
-----------------------------------------------------------
Fuel Sys 1 = CL-Fault
Fuel Sys 2 = NA
Calc Load (%) = 50.6
ECT (°F) = 111.2
STFT B1 (%) = -5.5
LTFT B1 (%) = 0.0
STFT B2 (%) = 0.0
LTFT B2 (%) = 0.0
Eng RPM = 888
Veh Speed = 0
Spark Adv. = 11.5
IAT (°F) = 62.6
MAF (lb/min) = 1.3
TPS (%) = 18.0
O2S B1 S1 (V) = .32
STFT B1 S1 (%) = -5.5
O2S B1 S2 (V) = 0.000
STFTB1 S2 (%) = 99.2
O2S B2 S1 (V) = 0.020
STFT B2 S1 (%) = 42.2
O2S B2 S2 (V) = 0.000
STFTB2 S2 (%) = 99.2

I also swapped an old sensor back in on Driver side front but still came back with the same error so I put the new sensor back in.
-----------------------------------------------------
End Edit
=============================

Any thoughts that might guide me to a solution are appreciated.

FYI - Starting the engine and no longer hearing the chronic timing chain rattle is soooo nice.

Im not sure which sensor it's referring to. Do you have any kind of scan gauge that can look at live data?

Check out the O2 sensor voltages. Could be a bad O2 or an issue with the wiring.

Im not sure which sensor it's referring to. Do you have any kind of scan gauge that can look at live data?

Check out the O2 sensor voltages. Could be a bad O2 or an issue with the wiring.

I don't think my scanner will tell me anything more than the codes but I just bought it so I'll check on that. It was only ~$90

This should be the front driver side if I have done my research correctly. I plan to check my wiring and make sure that still looks good. Double check all my vacuum connections. If no one here has better suggestions I can switch the O2 sensors front to back since they are the same and new plus I still have the old ones. Either way that can either solve or eliminate the sensor as the cause.

Tried the to test for a leak on the intake manifold using wd-40, brake cleaner, and Propane. None produced any change that might point at a leak. They are new gaskets so this seemed unlikely.

Sort of down to two options
- One of the new injectors is bad?
- Short in the wiring harness?

Or would taking it to a shop with a full diagnostic machine help eliminate either\both of these?

Anyone have other ideas? Inspecting either of these requires pulling the intake manifold so it would be great to avoid that if possible.

The freeze frame codes are a bit foreign to me, do they tell anyone anything?

I appreciate any help offered.
Thanks

Back