New Ex Owner - Trailer Towing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Ex Owner - Trailer Towing

oakley02

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT Ti-VCT
Hello all. I am happy to have found this forum, only wish it happened before I bought. My wife and I are the proud owner of a 13 XLT. An option it lacks from its build sheet is the 52T towing package (and some other minor items). When we bought it (preowned) from the ford dealer I was very explicit that we planned on towing a boat with our new vehicle. The salesman informed me that he would put a hitch on "at cost" after the sale. When I asked what the capacity would be, he stated 5000 lbs. After researching this forum, I now understand there is a engine oil cooler, among other things, that I will NOT have as a result of an aftermarket hitch install.

Has anyone done the conversion to the engine oil cooler? Does it require a new radiator? (I only see a drain on the radiator and not any aux plugs for a oil cooler setup). Does it seem fair that the dealer stated 5000 lbs. capacity without showing me the towing spec sheet that I later found online? Has anyone else had sucessful negoiations with ford or the dealer to resolve this issue?

Seems like ford saved $50 by removing this cooler to cost the customer hundreds later. Seems to go against SUV - Sport "Utility" Vehicle. Sorry to vent but I find this to be totally against the principals of an SUV, but otherwise we really like our new explorer...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't worry about it. The additional oil cooler with the tow package is tiny.

Run a full sythetic quality oil, and change it a little early (say 7,000 miles vs 10,000).

Hello all. I am happy to have found this forum, only wish it happened before I bought. My wife and I are the proud owner of a 13 XLT. An option it lacks from its build sheet is the 52T towing package (and some other minor items). When we bought it (preowned) from the ford dealer I was very explicit that we planned on towing a boat with our new vehicle. The salesman informed me that he would put a hitch on "at cost" after the sale. When I asked what the capacity would be, he stated 5000 lbs. After researching this forum, I now understand there is a engine oil cooler, among other things, that I will NOT have as a result of an aftermarket hitch install.

Has anyone done the conversion to the engine oil cooler? Does it require a new radiator? (I only see a drain on the radiator and not any aux plugs for a oil cooler setup). Does it seem fair that the dealer stated 5000 lbs. capacity without showing me the towing spec sheet that I later found online? Has anyone else had sucessful negoiations with ford or the dealer to resolve this issue?

Seems like ford saved $50 by removing this cooler to cost the customer hundreds later. Seems to go against SUV - Sport "Utility" Vehicle. Sorry to vent but I find this to be totally against the principals of an SUV, but otherwise we really like our new explorer...
Is your XLT an Ecoboost? If it is, the vehicles with the Ecoboost engine do not require an oil cooler.
If not Ecoboost is it FWD or AWD?
The factory tow package, in addition to the oil cooler also has the Tow/Haul switch which when used works in conjunction with the transmission to regulate shifting and engine braking when required. To tow 5000 I believe that you will need a weight distribution hitch.
Apparently it is now possible to have the OEM hitch installed. Check out the following thread (pages 4 & 5) as well if you haven't already.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328221

There is also a DIY video;
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...=B4hc_EE3NDg&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13724265602248

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...fO6VVoA0h8I&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_137242664871610

BTW, welcome to the Forum oakley02.:wavey:

Peter

I've seen the how to's but still feel a bit misleaded by the dealer...mine is 3.5L NA AWD. Does the synthetic oil bring oil temps down? I am only looking to tow 3000-3500 but could be for longer trips (100-150 miles).

Thanks for all the quick replys.

Has anyone successfully added the engine oil cooler to their non tow version explorer? I looked at the parts required for the install....looks like over $750 in parts are required if the radiator needs swapped out...thanks.

Back