New Ex Sport Arrived!.....Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Ex Sport Arrived!.....Question

Toddgfd

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Good Morning! I just took delivery of my new "SilverSport" last night and am over the moon. While she and I get acquainted, I wanted to see if anyone knows:
1)what is involved in the road testing that my vehicle was apparently randomly chosen for. They rolled up 55 miles and I interpret this as a good thing as they were probably testing the functions of everything.
2)Also, I noticed that the A4 nav SD card is currently in the SD slot, and I am looking for the right way to remove to avoid causing damage to the system
3)and the MFT display has the external temperature next to the clock...meaning the Sync version is not the latest right?

Thanks all,

Todd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good Morning! I just took delivery of my new "SilverSport" last night and am over the moon. While she and I get acquainted, I wanted to see if anyone knows:
1)what is involved in the road testing that my vehicle was apparently randomly chosen for. They rolled up 55 miles and I interpret this as a good thing as they were probably testing the functions of everything.
2)Also, I noticed that the A4 nav SD card is currently in the SD slot, and I am looking for the right way to remove to avoid causing damage to the system
3)and the MFT display has the external temperature next to the clock...meaning the Sync version is not the latest right?

Thanks all,

Todd

Not sure what road testing is, but to remove the map card just push it in and it pops out (spring loaded). I don't think there really is a "bad" way to remove it.

As for MFT, go to www.syncmyride.com and register there. Then run a vehicle health report and log back in to syncmyride.com If you don't have the latest version than it will tell you. I would be shocked if you didn't have the latest version as you just took delivery.

Thanks all,

Todd
Welcome to the Forum Toddgfd. :wavey:
If you have an A4 card in the navigation slot then you likely have the latest version since it was part of the update. As jrmexplorer mentioned, you just give the card a push and it will pop out. Just remember it has to be the slot for the nav to work.
Getting the temp display back beside the time was part of the 3.2.2 upgrade. The latest update V3.5.1 did not remove it.
Happy motoring.

NOTE: to make it easier for members to assist you, it would be very helpful if you listed your model and year in your profile so that it will show in the left margin by your Forum name.

Peter

Thanks

Thanks Guys. Card is out, and nice to know that the software is up to date. As far as the vehicle health report, I am unable to run one until 200 miles is reached according to the computer brain.

Still would like to know what kind of paces they put my baby through at the factory for drive testing:scratch:

BTW, profile updated!

"Road testing" can also be just another phrase for an engineer at the factory drove the car home one (or two) night(s). A random road test / engineer perk.

Can anyone confirm this? I would be surprised if Ford allowed an employee (engineer or otherwise) to drive the new vehicles in anything other than an official capacity. I mean, what if they crash these new cars? The cost of doing business is one thing, but a pleasure spin as a "perk" is quite another.

Can anyone confirm this? I would be surprised if Ford allowed an employee (engineer or otherwise) to drive the new vehicles in anything other than an official capacity. I mean, what if they crash these new cars? The cost of doing business is one thing, but a pleasure spin as a "perk" is quite another.
I seriously doubt that anyone would take it for a 'pleasure spin'. My salesman told me that vehicles are randomly selected for test drives and therefore have a higher than usual mileage on them. He had one on the lot when looked at it during one of my service appointments.

Peter

good luck with the Sport - I love mine :)

the only bad way to take out the SD card would be a pry bar or a sawzall (Although a sawzall is pretty much the greatest tool for removing things :) ). Just push it and it comes right out.

Mine had 240 miles on it but it came from another dealer across the state. I bet it was beat on pretty good. :)

not sure how to check the version on MFT. I logged onto syncmyride when I got home and it said I needed an update. I downloaded the file to a usb drive and updated it in my driveway to the newest version. Was really easy.

"Road testing" can also be just another phrase for an engineer at the factory drove the car home one (or two) night(s). A random road test / engineer perk.

Seriously?? Why would you even make up something rediculous like this to put a new owners mind worrying.

Road testing is random driving inspections to insure everything was built and operating within spec. This is how they can find issues during an assembly run.

With every random inspection, Ford puts an additional paper stuck to the window next to the window sticker stating it was chosen as a random inspection and officially states the mileage they put on it.

It happens randomly with every model.

55 miles seems like alot and honestly i wouldnt be happy about that. ive special ordered 2 vehicles so far and each one had less then 10 miles on them for the dealer inspection/taking it to the gas station for a fill up.

I've seen over 100 miles from testing. 55 miles is really only an hours worth of driving.

Not a big deal to me if it was from the factory. Now if the dealer did it, that is a different story.

To each their own I guess.

55 miles seems like alot and honestly i wouldnt be happy about that. ive special ordered 2 vehicles so far and each one had less then 10 miles on them for the dealer inspection/taking it to the gas station for a fill up.

55 miles? Seriously? How the hell does it matter?

Btw, back in Spring 2011....when there were no new Explorers to be found on dealer lots or as demos...I drove one that was just delivered to the dealer, special ordered, waiting on customer pickup. I wasn't going to order one without driving one.

So, someone out there...I put 40 miles on your new 2011....

Lol, mine had 36km on it when I bought it, I saw it drive off the truck, into the shop for PDI, maybe I should be worried now :p

I wouldn't want anybody out joy-riding my special order.

Have you ever rented a car? haha.

Hi everyone!

I just want to jump in here and clarify a few things. We do occasionally select a vehicle for quality testing at the plant. If your car was selected, you'll usually see a piece of paper in your vehicle (or included with your paperwork when you purchase the vehicle) stating that your vehicle was selected. Sometimes it will include the mileage they put on as a result of the quality check.

Crystal

Just out of curiosity (mine is far within what I call reasonable, just for the others on here) is there a "normal" or "acceptable" amount of miles that are allowed during these quality assurance tests?

Just out of curiosity (mine is far within what I call reasonable, just for the others on here) is there a "normal" or "acceptable" amount of miles that are allowed during these quality assurance tests?

Hi Azazell64,

I can't find any specific reference to either limits or a normal amount of miles that the testing entails. I've seen a couple of other folks on the forum that had vehicles that were selected for quality testing; you might want to reach out to them to compare notes. :D

Crystal

I'm not worried about mine, I was just curious to see if there was a set maximum to see if others concerns were warranted or not. Thanks for looking though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a relative who runs the paint shop at one of the largest auto factories in the country. They do a road test on the street and an on site track to make sure there are no weird noises, squeaks or rattles, etc and that everything feels as it should. Then they check the panel gaps and paint job for imperfections and make sure everything is assembled well and correctly. It is a standard quality control thing, not a free joyride for plant employees.

Back