• Register Today It's free!

New Exhaust Pipes.

|SkidRow|

Reaction score
City, State
T, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer XL
Well, I found out why my engine is running louder. The exhaust system under the truck is beginning to fall apart(rust.) So I was wondering what the stock diameter and lengths I would need. Found an Auto Parts store that has exhaust pipes that are pretty cheap and I'll need a new muffler to. I've searched and found how to install a new muffler, just need some details on the correct lengths and diameters of the new piping I'll be installing.

I have exhaust coming from near the front-middle of the vehicle, so I can see and smell it when I get out while it's running :(

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check Napa's website and I think Rock auto is another good one. You can order premade parts that don't cost a whole lot. This would be a good time for a flowmaster cat back, no?:thumbsup:

I think the stock diameter is 2 inch, but not sure. If you are thinking of making your own, there are lots of bends in the tailpipe section.

Good luck,

I vote to just buy a new catback system. its not terribly expensive and is easy to install yourself. stock piping is 2.25" i believe.

Go on ebay, you can get a catback system shipped to you for like 100-120 bucks

As much as I'd like to get a new exhaust system in there, I cannot afford it. I have already put more money into that what I paid for it, a little over 2 months ago. The only things that I really need is the exhaust and a rear u-joint. I'll have a closer inspection on my muffler in the morning, but I think it needs to be changed if the rest of the pipes before it need to be.

As I have stated before; I am from the North, which means the prices here are jacked up.

Also, I do not really care about the sound, but it is nice to have the bigger engine sound(which I have right now) which drowns out the whine that I get upon acceleration; also, I have seen a big increase in gas mileage, I went from about 11MPG to just under 16 MPG(City, and I finally, but stupidly unlocked the hubs, which I didn't know were still engaged)

I appreciate the answers and will look for some pricing on the exhaust systems they have to offer here and will most likely install myself, when it warms up a bit here :)

i went to oreilys to get my exhaust fixed and was less than $50 and i welded it up myself and it has a really nice deep sound to it. i have a thrush chambered muffler.

A cat-back system is just the pipes you'd buy for the system anyway, put all together.

You can buy the Dynomax performance stuff (rear pipe and Super Turbo muffler) sometimes cheaper than an "OE" type muffler and pipe.

My suggestion would be the Walker front pipe (cat to muffler), Dynomax Super Turbo muffler (or Walker/Thrush muffler for a cheaper one), and Dynomax rear pipe (muffler to back), since that's what the catback system is, plus the front gasket and bolts and clamps.

You can also do a "budget system by using a regular length muffler in place of the stock length one, and just using a 12-15" straight pipe in front of the muffler, but you'll still need the front and rear 91-92 Explorer-specific pipes for the rest to work.

91-92 Explorers should all have 2.25" diameter tubing, so it's best to go with a system that has that.

Ahhh Anime right on cue with the Dynomax Super Turbo whoring :p:

i got single in and dual out 40 series flowmasters and they are 2 1/2 inch tips

Ahhh Anime right on cue with the Dynomax Super Turbo whoring :p:

The kick in the butt that came from installing one leads me to offer the advice to other members. Not to mention that the Dynomax stuff is usually lower priced than the regular replacement stuff, plus of course it flows niiiiiiice...:D

I'll be getting a bit more than I had expected this payday and I will check into the exhaust systems you guys have suggested and let you know what my choices are. I was hoping when I got the truck, that the exhaust would hold together through the winter so I can do a bit more work on it myself; but it slowly start to break apart, so dis-assembly is pretty much done for me :p Or them, rather.

Thanks a tonne guys!

Another question, off topic of my OP, but does the '92 XL have a low gas light? I didn't want to test this myself in case it didn't! lol

No, they don't have a low fuel light.

Back