New Explorer Exterior Burning Smell | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Explorer Exterior Burning Smell

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer 2013 XLT
We leased our 2016 Explorer two weeks ago and today we had to bring it in for service due to a faulty power window switch. When we parked at the dealer, we notice a burning smell coming from under the hood. No smoke. Pointed this burning smell out to the Service Dept. and they can't find the source. We had to leave the Explorer for the switch and to find the source of this smell. This burning smell was so strong that we actually were afraid that the SUV would go up in flames.

I searched on this forum and there were a couple of posts with a similar problem in older Explorers. Has anyone had this problem in a 2016 Explorer?

Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We leased our 2016 Explorer two weeks ago and today we had to bring it in for service due to a faulty power window switch. When we parked at the dealer, we notice a burning smell coming from under the hood. No smoke. Pointed this burning smell out to the Service Dept. and they can't find the source. We had to leave the Explorer for the switch and to find the source of this smell. This burning smell was so strong that we actually were afraid that the SUV would go up in flames.

I searched on this forum and there were a couple of posts with a similar problem in older Explorers. Has anyone had this problem in a 2016 Explorer?

Thank you.

If its the 3.5 TiVCT V6 motor, this seems to be normal for the first several hundred miles. Not sure what causes it though...

It probably smelled pretty bad because it was parked in an enclosed space. My wife's 2015 Limited standard V6 had a burning smell for a few days when we first got it. Wasn't too worried. Figured it was just something residual from whatever they applied to protect the finish during transport or whatever dust/debris that might have built up by sitting on the lot for several months burning off when it got to operating temps. No smells since.

I could see how it would cause concern though. In our garage, the smell was strong enough to make it's way into the house. Had to open the garage door a few nights.

Thank you.

My 2016 sport has around 500km on it and I also smell a faint burning smell as well after turning the car off and stepping out. I think it's more on the passenger side. I'm thinking it's coming from the exhaust as we haven't driven it on any long drives. I'm hoping that after the break in period of 1600km, I won't notice the burning smell anymore.

I have been through the burning smell also! It has been gone for a while now . We have 500 miles on the odometer. My guess is that the turbos heat up and burn off all the production oils along with the exhaust.

Thank you all for your input on this matter. I hope it is something minor. I will report back with Ford's findings. Hopefully I will get my Explorer back on Friday.

For previous Explorers, the smell was a very common occurrence. Under hard acceleration, you could smell it. Do you smell it with your off? Another thing was the PTU leak could cause a brown sugary smell.

Keep in mind that the infamous Walmart plastic bag and similar can wreck havoc in your nose membrane after running over one of those "harmless" bags. It is next to impossible to remove that bag once it is melted onto any part of your engine/exhaust hot spots. You have to usually let many months of driving pass by before the smell of burnt plastic disappears.

I know this is a little off topic but more than one person has returned to the dealership talking Lemon Law/Refund/Buy Back/ only to be humbled once the person was directed to the undercarriage of the vehicle while on the lift.

Buzz

so glad i found this, picked up my sport today, put maybe 40 miles or so on it, parked it in the driveway after work, opened the door and smelled like something was burning, very glad i found this, and looking like this is normal

so glad i found this, picked up my sport today, put maybe 40 miles or so on it, parked it in the driveway after work, opened the door and smelled like something was burning, very glad i found this, and looking like this is normal

Oh yeah, new cars have smelly exhaust systems because of the fresh catalytic converters.

For previous Explorers, the smell was a very common occurrence. Under hard acceleration, you could smell it. Do you smell it with your off? Another thing was the PTU leak could cause a brown sugary smell.

This hasn't gone away for 16 under hard acceleration and yeah when new the "burn off" of the new oils/seals/coatings lasted for several hundred miles.

Oh yeah, new cars have smelly exhaust systems because of the fresh catalytic converters.
Not saying it can't happen but neither my 2011 Ltd nor my current 2014 MKT had any kind of 'new car' burn off smells.

Peter

few things - our 2016 had a pretty strong smell from miles 200 through about 11K.

first I chalked it up to the new plastics venting gases (you know that new new plastic smell) and since there are numerous plastic covers and the like - and the car was built some 3 weeks prior to our picking it up.

second - first oil change happened at 1600 miles - and it got worse with hard acceleration. turns out numbnuts at the dealership didn't tighten the filter up all the way. - found that at mile 8K with oil change number 2.

to 6 months and 11K miles - smells have dampened down to nothing. Hard accel smells seem to be gone or significantly lighter.

the plastics smells will go away - but it takes time.

My '14 Sport had some "new car" smells, but they dissipated in the first 1000 miles or so. Remember, most of the metal(that's not painted, think exhaust system) likely has a coating of oil/lubricant from the forming/transportation process. Some new vehicle smells are not uncommon.

We picked up our Explorer and it was determined that the burning smell was due to a sticker on the exhaust pipe melting off. The service department removed what was left and so far we have not smelled anything burning and neither did Ford. We have a 45 minute ride home from the dealership, so I figured that was enough time to see if we still had that burning smell. I also drove the Explorer today and did not smell anything. So far, so good. Although Ford reassured me that everything is ok, I'm still a little leery so I'm not putting the Explorer in the garage just yet.

Thanks again to all of you for your responses.

We picked up our Explorer and it was determined that the burning smell was due to a sticker on the exhaust pipe melting off. The service department removed what was left and so far we have not smelled anything burning and neither did Ford. We have a 45 minute ride home from the dealership, so I figured that was enough time to see if we still had that burning smell. I also drove the Explorer today and did not smell anything. So far, so good. Although Ford reassured me that everything is ok, I'm still a little leery so I'm not putting the Explorer in the garage just yet.

Thanks again to all of you for your responses.

Thank you for supplying this info, might just crawl under for a look see.

When I first test drive mine it had under 5 miles they literally just rolled it off of the trailer and the smell was awful smelled like a big chemical fire. I am now a month and just under 3k miles in and it still faintly smells when I park and walk by the front grille.

When I first test drive mine it had under 5 miles they literally just rolled it off of the trailer and the smell was awful smelled like a big chemical fire. I am now a month and just under 3k miles in and it still faintly smells when I park and walk by the front grille.

its normal. When I leased my Ford Edge Sport and XP 14 XLT, it had that burning plastic or chemical smell. I spoke to my friend, manager, at Ford and he told me not to worry and that it is a new engine, exhaust system that burns out that factory paper or chemical. I thought that the engine was over heated as the smell was coming from the front of the car, but it was normal. I took a couple of 300 mile road trips and the smell was gone.

I wish Ford would have a fix for a new car smell after leasing a car of 2 years. I miss that smell of the interior of a new car as it only lasts for 6 month or so.

Have any of you folks ever had brand new cars before? This is common until oils, paint, whatever was used in the manufacture of the new car burns off. It usually lasts a few hundred miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have any of you folks ever had brand new cars before? This is common until oils, paint, whatever was used in the manufacture of the new car burns off. It usually lasts a few hundred miles.

+1

Lol. Happens with all new cars. Funny thread. Watch out for those walmart bags!

Back