New Explorer Exterior Burning Smell | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Explorer Exterior Burning Smell

I've had 10 brand new cars Acura, allot of Toyota, and a Mitsubishi and not one has smelled of anything burning.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had 10 brand new cars Acura, allot of Toyota, and a Mitsubishi and not one has smelled of anything burning.
Neither did my 2011 Explorer nor my 2014 Lincoln as posted earlier in this thread. Not ALL new vehicles do.

Peter

im only 22 and this is my first new car i bought on my own, parents gave me a used car for my first one, so it looks like i was missing out on all this

Questions for those experiencing burning smells, what grade of fuel are you using?
I only use 91 octane and only experience the egg/sulphur smell, which is common with ALL makes and models during hard acceleration and WOT.

Questions for those experiencing burning smells, what grade of fuel are you using?
I only use 91 octane and only experience the egg/sulphur smell, which is common with ALL makes and models during hard acceleration and WOT.

87 octane here but you might be blending a couple issues together though. Sounds like you are referring to the issue of exhaust/gas/fume smell that makes its way into the cabin during hard acceleration. The OP and subsequent posters were referring to a "burning off" smell once the car is parked, which seems to be part of the normal breaking in period that lasts for just a few hundred miles. The exhaust fumes smell is a much more serious issue, some resulting in successful lemon law claims.

87 octane here but you might be blending a couple issues together though. Sounds like you are referring to the issue of exhaust/gas/fume smell that makes its way into the cabin during hard acceleration. The OP and subsequent posters were referring to a "burning off" smell once the car is parked, which seems to be part of the normal breaking in period that lasts for just a few hundred miles. The exhaust fumes smell is a much more serious issue, some resulting in successful lemon law claims.

Exhaust smell and sulphur/egg smells are unique smells on their own.
As I posted, the sulphur/egg smell is present in All makes and models (not just Ford), when under hard acceleration.

Exhaust smell and sulphur/egg smells are unique smells on their own.
As I posted, the sulphur/egg smell is present in All makes and models (not just Ford), when under hard acceleration.

Gotcha, but unless I missed it, was just saying that wasn't the topic of this thread. Or maybe that's where you were trying to get the thread headed. Who knows, you might be on the right track....

to be fair your 10 cars were all foreign produced and thus spent a minimum of 2 months on a boat just to get to you, let alone rail travel and etc.

meanwhile my new 2016 explorer spent 2 days in transit to me from the plant.

not exactly the same situation.

Many of Honda's models are built in the U.S. in the East Liberty, Ohio and Lincoln, Alabama facilities. The Acura MDX is now being built at the Alabama facility. Toyota also builds many of its vehicles in the U.S. As for Toyota, Toyota manufacturing plants in the United States have produced the Toyota Avalon, the Toyota Camry, the Toyota Camry Hybrid, the Toyota Corolla, the Toyota Sequoia, the Toyota Sienna, the Toyota Solara, the Toyota Tacoma and the Toyota Tundra. Some Mitsubishi vehicles are produced at the Mitsubishi Motors North America production facility in Normal, Illinois.

Peter

assembled not 100% produced. so were those dash panels, engine covers etc all pressed in america or where they sent from china or what have you.

granted he didn't specify models - so yes I went on the idea that his particular models came from overseas.

my point to a finer level - very few people buy a new car that is less than 1 week from the factory. regardless of brand. to that end the closer to new it is, the more outgassing of the plastic solvents there is to deal with. usually it's a 3 month annoyance.

Had same problem with my 2012 after shutting the engine down. I had to replace evap valve and it cleared mine up that valve was also making it hard to stop after fill up. I have part number posted on here can get it if you would like.

Had same problem with my 2012 after shutting the engine down. I had to replace evap valve and it cleared mine up that valve was also making it hard to stop after fill up. I have part number posted on here can get it if you would like.
hard to stop or hard to start?

Peter

Had a problem getting it to start. It was just after fill up after that no problem

Ours definitely had a very strong "burning in" smell. We could only smell it when we would get out of it and stand by it after a drive. At 300 miles, I think the smell is really reduced. I'll see how it is after our next drive. It wasn't anything I was worried about. My truck was pretty bad just after having a custom cat-back exhaust put on.

Had a problem getting it to start. It was just after fill up after that no problem
That's what I thought you meant when you said hard to stop. ;)

Peter

to be fair your 10 cars were all foreign produced and thus spent a minimum of 2 months on a boat just to get to you, let alone rail travel and etc.

Well I can't comment on all of them but at least my all time favorite 07 Tacoma was Union built at the time in the nummi plant in Fremont California which until 2010 was a Toyota/Gm joint venture (Corolla/Prizm, Matrix/Vibe). It's now only partially open (Tesla) but at the time the taco was locally designed and since it's still only made for the us/Canada market all of the major parts were locally built from local materials. I believe the drive train was imported from Japan and the bed was assembled in Mexico. If your familiar with Toyota manufacturing process there efficiency is not to warehouse any material as the parts are made/ assembled there are pre assigned to a specific vehicle so they get slapped together almost immediately with minimal shelf time. Since they shut down nummi the tacos are now assembled in San Antonio (1794 I believe they call it) but by non Union labor, certain configurations were also assembled in Tijuana Mexico.

I don't know, man. We bought our 2015 at the end of the summer. It was the last one on the lot. It sat there all year. Still had the burning smell, admittedly though, not as long as most others. It probably lasted only a couple days.

Well I can't comment on all of them but at least my all time favorite 07 Tacoma was Union built at the time in the nummi plant in Fremont California which until 2010 was a Toyota/Gm joint venture (Corolla/Prizm, Matrix/Vibe). It's now only partially open (Tesla) but at the time the taco was locally designed and since it's still only made for the us/Canada market all of the major parts were locally built from local materials. I believe the drive train was imported from Japan and the bed was assembled in Mexico. If your familiar with Toyota manufacturing process there efficiency is not to warehouse any material as the parts are made/ assembled there are pre assigned to a specific vehicle so they get slapped together almost immediately with minimal shelf time. Since they shut down nummi the tacos are now assembled in San Antonio (1794 I believe they call it) but by non Union labor, certain configurations were also assembled in Tijuana Mexico.

Yes I'm familiar with Deming's production system that toyota implemented.

the few times I've notice the strong solvent smell in a new car - they've all been american makes - and off the truck deliveries.

my explorer was just like this and I thought it made some rational sense. No other car I've bought was fresh off the truck before, none exhibited the amount of smell the explorer did for the first month.

at the nissan plant in MS - those dashes and the like do come from a plant down the road - but the molding and the bits are all made elsewhere (presumably mexico). IE the dash assembly is put together from pieces molded elsewhere. same is true at the Mercedes plant in AL. (or it was back in 2002).

meh - either way

I got into a brand new (off the truck again) Ford F-150 and it didn't smell like our explorer did.

If its the 3.5 TiVCT V6 motor, this seems to be normal for the first several hundred miles. Not sure what causes it though...
I just test drove 2 new 2016 Explorers at different dealerships and the smell of something burning was so strong the salesman opened the windows. Car seat heater/cooling was on both times, but not sure if that's the cause. I've bought a lot of new cars (Mercedes, BMW, Audi, GM, Explorers and Escapes, etc). Nothing has smelled this bad. Hopefully just due to new car burn off of oil or labels, but It's making me worried about buying the Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just test drove 2 new 2016 Explorers at different dealerships and the smell of something burning was so strong the salesman opened the windows. Car seat heater/cooling was on both times, but not sure if that's the cause. I've bought a lot of new cars (Mercedes, BMW, Audi, GM, Explorers and Escapes, etc). Nothing has smelled this bad. Hopefully just due to new car burn off of oil or labels, but It's making me worried about buying the Explorer.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
There is a long thread about exhaust smell caused mainly by hard acceleration. Not sure if that is the issue.
I've had 2 new vehicles in the past 4 years, a 2011 Explorer and a 2014 MKT. Neither produced any 'break in' smell at all.

Peter

Back