• Register Today It's free!

New explorer mod questions

PHOTOGRAPHER

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer
I am (HOPEFULLY) taking delivery of a 2013 Explorer XLT black on black sometime in the next few days. I ordered it on october 25th and it was scheduled for delivery last week and is yet to show up. Sigh.

Anyways I have some simple questions on a few simple things I want to do and was hoping to get some guidance from experienced explorer owners.

I am familiar with cars and modding cars and everything but this is my first domestic vehicle, my first SUV, my first Ford and my first Explorer so its a bit of new territory. Any help with anything would be great.

-I would love to find out if anyone that does not have a limited model ended up painting their front silver grille. I ended up with an XLT with options but when I found out that the front grille is not color matched I got sad. Design, and style matter to me so I really would love to get the grille if not the back chrome bar color matched.

-I definitely want to get a set of nice all weather floor mats. Im guessing the Weathertech digital ones are the best? Any other opinions or deals out there? Do they have them at the dealer for less or should I just order them online?

-Since Im a photographer and carrying a lot of gear I really need to get something to protect the rear bumper from scrapes and scratches. My last car's bumper got thrashed from moving things in and out. I see that there is an OEM Ford accessory bumper cover but it doesnt look like it wraps around the edge of the bumper. Is there another option out there to look into?

-I saw something about replacing the short antenna with a slicker looking one. Shark fin perhaps? Is this an option? Is it a hard swap? Any thoughts on the best ones?

I think thats it for now.

Thanks,
-T

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I love my Weathertech floor mats. Husky also makes a good product. Between the two it is almost like a Pepsi Coke argument. :)

I ordered a rear bumper guard since I load and unload golf clubs into the Ex almost daily during the summer. I also have a tenancy to use the rear bumper to tie my shoes. For that reason I bought the BMC Extreme Customs bumper cover. Looks great and is another solid product. What I like best is it has a lip that protects the edge of the bumper.

I just had clear bra installed on the rear bumper. It was much cheaper than any of the stick-on plastic covers that I found online.

I got Husky mats, only because I could get all the 1st/2nd/3rd row pieces all together and cheaper on Amazon that with the Weathertechs. I thoroughly enjoy them, especially since they'll save my OEM mats during the lifetime of my Explorer.

And I got a sport, so I can't help you with the painting of my grille. It's already black...lol

Thanks guys.

I ended up ordering the Weathertech digital package and the BMC bumper guard that was recommended above.

I also ordered a black shark fin from VG.

I might look into plastidipping a few pieces, but im hesitant since itll be a brand new car.

Any thoughts?

Welcome.

$70+ is a lot of money for a bumper protector. Im debating buying some clear bra material and just doing a piece that goes from the trunk opening down the back a little bit.

Yes you are right, $70 is a lot of money for a bumper protector if your is still in good shape. I originally had the Ford spec. protector and my kids beat up the edge of the bumper which is not protected by the Ford product. When I installed the new piece, it covered up the existing marks/chips to the bumper. In which case it was well worth the money. The bra material would work well as long as you can get it cut properly and applied straight.

good to hear that i got the right bumper cover coming. everything is on its way now if Chicago could only send me my damn Explorer!

the dealership gave me a new focus for a week until she comes in.

I'll vouch for plasti dip youtube it and watch the videos the guy does with dipyourcar.com if you do it like he says it works and works well

Back