New explorer owner 2010 V6 4.0l - some questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New explorer owner 2010 V6 4.0l - some questions

Cameron58

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Exp Eddie Bauer 4.0l
Just snagged one rust free here in the rust belt. It's a beauty. Had some questions:

1. Carcomplaints.com lists the 09 and 10 as great years for the explorer. Does the 2010 V6 model still suffer the transmission issues?

2. Does the 2010 have the same radiator leak issues?

3. Any other noteworthy things I should aware of?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’m curious as well, but as far as I know, no improvements relative to the 2006 redesigned explorer. There were a few minor changes such as the transmission cooler fittings at the radiator At some point I believe during the 2006 model year, and some changes to the interior door panels for 2007, but no mechanical improvements that I can think of.

The big concern for me is the timing chains

As loibl eluded to, the timing chain issue was never fully resolved. The situation with the guides and tensioners failing was improved around the '02 model year with updated guides and tensioners. Some owners never have an issue with their 4th gen Explorers, some do. If you do develop noise, you can start by replacing the external tensioners as soon as you start to hear it. Plenty of threads on here about how to do it, simple stuff really. Mine has 184k on the clock and I just replaced the factory external chain tensioners because mine started having a very light cold start rattle. So far, no more noise. Time will tell.
Other minor product improvements were done over the years. Nothing really noteworthy. The 5R55S transmissions hooked up to the 4.0L can be problematic. From my tech days, I remember getting some in with as little as 50k miles on them with extreme servo-bore wear. Others would come in at later mileage with VB issues, solenoid block issues, etc. Some failed from a simple lack of maintenance. Many of these transmissions last well past 100K miles with no issues until they just fail without warning. For me, once they hit 150k the expected service life has expired and any mileage you get out of them after that is just "gravy".
Again, my '06 EB has 184k on the clock and is running all of the factory powertrain gear. If something fails, it will bum me out and I will have to fix it. However, with the mileage I have on my Ex, it will be hard for me to blame it on "shoddy engineering". Vehicles are mechanical in nature, mechanical things have a service life then they break. Sometimes they break pre-maturely and that sucks for the person who owns it. Heck, sucks even when they have high mileage but a person needs the vehicle to be reliable as a daily driver. Just drive it, put back money every month for the "rainy day car fund" and enjoy it. These are pretty good vehicles and will last for quite some time with proper care and maintenance. Remember, vehicles are build by people on earth, not angles in heaven. They will break.
Hope this helps. Keep the bottom side down.

As loibl eluded to, the timing chain issue was never fully resolved. The situation with the guides and tensioners failing was improved around the '02 model year with updated guides and tensioners. Some owners never have an issue with their 4th gen Explorers, some do. If you do develop noise, you can start by replacing the external tensioners as soon as you start to hear it. Plenty of threads on here about how to do it, simple stuff really. Mine has 184k on the clock and I just replaced the factory external chain tensioners because mine started having a very light cold start rattle. So far, no more noise. Time will tell.
Other minor product improvements were done over the years. Nothing really noteworthy. The 5R55S transmissions hooked up to the 4.0L can be problematic. From my tech days, I remember getting some in with as little as 50k miles on them with extreme servo-bore wear. Others would come in at later mileage with VB issues, solenoid block issues, etc. Some failed from a simple lack of maintenance. Many of these transmissions last well past 100K miles with no issues until they just fail without warning. For me, once they hit 150k the expected service life has expired and any mileage you get out of them after that is just "gravy".
Again, my '06 EB has 184k on the clock and is running all of the factory powertrain gear. If something fails, it will bum me out and I will have to fix it. However, with the mileage I have on my Ex, it will be hard for me to blame it on "shoddy engineering". Vehicles are mechanical in nature, mechanical things have a service life then they break. Sometimes they break pre-maturely and that sucks for the person who owns it. Heck, sucks even when they have high mileage but a person needs the vehicle to be reliable as a daily driver. Just drive it, put back money every month for the "rainy day car fund" and enjoy it. These are pretty good vehicles and will last for quite some time with proper care and maintenance. Remember, vehicles are build by people on earth, not angles in heaven. They will break.
Hope this helps. Keep the bottom side down.

Any videos that accurately show the noise that the motors make when the timing chains are having issues?

Anything I should pay attention to that might indicate when the transmission is developing a problem (besides having issues shifting from park to drive or shifting hard on the road)?

What is it exactly that fails in the transmission? Could I just take it to a mechanic (who specializes in transmission repair) and have them do some preventative work to it?

Plenty of videos on youtube. Most of them are will into the problem though, not when they first start. Just pay attention to your cold-starts and listen for "chain slap".
Well, there is the infamous 2-3 shift flare issue, delay when shifting from D to R, especially when the transmission is good and warm, followed by a hard "clunk" noise, servo-bore wear causing all kinds of shifting issues really, flashing o/d light with no 5th gear engagement, etc. Plenty of them. Do a "5R55S issues" search, you will have plenty of threads to read through.
There is no one EXACT issue with these transmissions. If you are not having any issues, then you are good to go for now.
Keep the bottom side down.

I’m curious as well, but as far as I know, no improvements relative to the 2006 redesigned explorer. There were a few minor changes such as the transmission cooler fittings at the radiator At some point I believe during the 2006 model year, and some changes to the interior door panels for 2007, but no mechanical improvements that I can think of.

The big concern for me is the timing chains

and @06EBMG might be interested.

I called two Ford dealerships in my state. The first said they'd never heard of serious issues with the 5 speed automatic tranny in the V6 2010 Explorer. The second dealer said the servo bore issue was mainly a problem on the pre-2006 trannys. He said the 2010 didn't have any issues as far as he knew, and that the V8 engine and mating tranny, wasn't even offered in 2010. That last bit is reassuring because on carcomplaints.com under "best vehicles" the 2010 explorer is listed as one of the few ford vehicles that is reliable, and since the V8 wasn't offered, the review is only considering the 5R55S tranny with the V6.

Idk, lots of people on here complain about the trannys on 2006+ (5R55S) but maybe ford made some changes to the 2009 and 2010 models. I'll keep my ear open for weird sounds and I'll pay attention if it starts to have difficulty shifting. I probably won't tow anything bc I don't want to push my luck.

Edit: well that second dealer doesn't know what they're talking about, the V8 WAS offered in 2010 https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?make=Ford&model=Explorer&year=2010&postalCode=

The 5R55S had issues all the way up to 2010, sorry.

v8 combo was offered with a different 6R tranny all the way up to 2010, that dealer does not know what they are talking about :)

The 5R55S had issueas all the way up to 2010, sorry.

v8 combo was offered with a different 6R tranny all the way up to 2010, that dealer does not know what they are talking about :)
yep I edited my post about that. So is the main cause of concern on the 5R55S the servo bore wearing out?

The 5R55S had issues all the way up to 2010, sorry.

Yup, 5R55 series transmissions did not stop having issues until Ford stopped manufacturing them. It went from the humble C3 3 speed automatic found in the Pinto to the 5 speed electronically controlled beast that it was when Ford stopped making it.

How many miles does your 2010 have?

I have a 2010 v6 5r55 146k miles original tranny and timing chains. The chains tick a little when its really cold but goes away when its warmed up and the transmission shifts ok but once in a wile it will have a hard shift. There is also a wining noise probally comming from the torque converter that I havent had checked out yet. The raidiator is original and so is the thermostat housing but the thermostat has been replaced twice.

All in all its been a pretty reliable vehicle besides when I didn't catch the rear diff seal that leaked all the fluid out. It ended up destroying the diff and right half shaft.

Before I bought my 2010 V6 I was lead to believe that the tranny issues had been solved for 2009-2010. 20K miles later I learned that they had not. Tranny rebuild at 112K. No timing chain issues so far at 138K now.

I also have recently purchased a 2010 EB V6 with 134Kmi on it. I always buy used cars and I run them through a full inspection and maintenance routine when I get them. The Explorer is no different. I would advise you to do the same. Don't just buy the vehicle, jump in it and start driving until something breaks. If yours has 100Kmi or more I would suggest a tranny and driveline service. And, of course do all the other things like oil, air filter, etc. Since you don't really know when the previous owner did any of that it just makes sense that you should go ahead and do it. FWIW: I'm about half way through the punch list.

Back