New explorer owner 97 xlt | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New explorer owner 97 xlt

Bought my first Ford and its a pretty good one I'd say!

1997 Ford Explorer XLT

V6
4dr 4WD
Power windows, locks, seats
stock premium audio (I think) w/ 6 disc cd changer
leather
tinted windows
114K miles

I got it for a fairly good price and need to put a little work into it. I need new tires that is for certain! I am just having issues with which ones and where to get them put on. I have some telling me tires plus, some say order online and have them put on at wal mart, some say just order and have em put on at walmart.

After reading a GREAT post here I now know how to repaint the trim on the outside that has faded!!

I want to paint my grill also but not sure if I should just order a new one as I have seen a few for 20-30 dollars.

Also wanted to get some LED lights not just for style, but ones out and I cannot see from 0-40. I have seen some guides somewhere.

Oh, and yeah my camera for some reason (its horrible) always says 2004...

087-1.jpg

093.jpg

092.jpg

088.jpg

090.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those goodyears on my explorer from walmart...leave a lot to be desired. They came with the car when i bought it, so can't complain. Definately go with sears or somewhere else.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well, I have to go get paint for the trim, headlight resto kit, and some new cleaning supplies anyways so I suppose I'll go downtown this week after all. I just try, if possible, NOT to go to town when the Bike Rally is goin down. There are a TON of them roaring monsters on the roads!

Alright. :D Paint for trim???

yeah the faded black on the sides by the door, the two going down the back by the glass, the grille, and all the wipers.

Nice looking truck (of course I say that about any ex :d) sounds like you know what you're doing with it, I know I've got to get my pillars done, paraphoe's thread has me convinced that they can look great again with slight touch up. I used krylon fusion gloss for my plastic under my wipers over a year ago and they still look great.

Nice looking truck (of course I say that about any ex :d) sounds like you know what you're doing with it, I know I've got to get my pillars done, paraphoe's thread has me convinced that they can look great again with slight touch up. I used krylon fusion gloss for my plastic under my wipers over a year ago and they still look great.

I just went to O'reilly auto and got a can of paint, not sure what brand..something thats probably not the best, a lightbulb for my console that was out, and rain x headlight resto kit.

Now maybe I did something wrong, did it too fast, or didn't scrub hard enough but the kit barely made a difference. :(

Paint will have to wait till tomorrow, just had an all night sleep study followed by a 9 hour day time sleep study. Damnit im tired!

EDIT: <-- Your newest ELITE Explorer

the rain-x kit didnt do a good job for me either, all i did was go buy some 1500 grit sandpaper, wet sanded the light with and used the sealer and plastic restoration stuff it came with. my lights look almost new. hope that helps.

the rain-x kit didnt do a good job for me either, all i did was go buy some 1500 grit sandpaper, wet sanded the light with and used the sealer and plastic restoration stuff it came with. my lights look almost new. hope that helps.

Im really afraid to use sandpaper on my light. For some reason I feel like I'll destroy them or I will screw it up and make it worse.

Also, I got my lights installed on the dash, so now I can actually see all my gauges and I was able to get a set of 4 goodyear wrangler radials (with warranty, free rotation and balancing) for $340!

All thats left now is for me to paint, get my mysterious 4 wheel drive problem found, and a stereo!

just make sure you just keep checking it. 1500 grit is really fine, so wet sanding with it doesnt leave any gouges. Then you use the stuff in the yellow bottle from rain-x. then the sealer which makes it look brand new and smooths all the tiny scratches.

Back