New explorer owner heat problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New explorer owner heat problem

Reaction score
City, State
Mass
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Limited
ok i have a 96 explorer limited its the v8 awd if that matters. The problem is the blower for the front doesnt work but the rear vent does. It doesnt matter what setting i put it on and heat or a/c. Vent,panel,def,floor nothing works in the front. When i push the different settings though i can hear it switching over and the display works perfect. Anyone have any ideas my aim is black94g20t thanks in advance guys :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Open the hood and look to the left rear corner-
against the firewall is the blower motor housing

Now-if you look close, it's round-
Pretend it is a clock, and look where 4 oclock would be. You'll see some wires there-looks like a plug--

there are 2 8mm screws holding that plug in-
remove them, and I'll bet you see a burned blower speed resitor.

OH--wait
have you checked the blower motor relay and the fuses to it--check these first

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180814&highlight=power+layout

checked all the fuses they are good ill check the resistor(just went out ill have to check the resistor tomorrow i have work and its gonna take a few to get the resistor out. how do i tell if its no good?

is there a seperate motor for the rear? cuz my rear works lol also whats the best way to check the blower and is that hard to replace.

The blower is pretty easy to check and replace. To check it, just take a couple wires and go from the blower right to the battery. If the blower doesn't come on it's bad.

Hang on... do you have the electronic climate control? if so, you have a blower motor speed controller, not a resistor pack. In that case, the odds are the speed controller is shot.

Probably a shot blower resistor, check online dealers for a good price. I have a feeling they fail because the evaporators crap out and sling dirt and oil on the contacts. This causes them to short out. Mine was definitely burnt and shorted from dirt, and I had a leaky evap. As a PM its a good idea to pull this thing and clean it with electrical parts cleaner.

For the OP, I would also check the A/C, especially if that module turns out to be toast. You could have a leaky evap.

yes i have the ECC its a limitied where can i get one of these would autozone have it.

if anyone can get me a part number and a place to order this piece it would be great. thanks guys

Indeed, you don't want to know the price for a new speed controller... It's not cheap.

Oh, and for the record, since you have the electronic temp control, you do not have a resistor pack, so we can end all discussion on that issue too. :)

I'm pretty sure this is the one.
OEM Catalog
Item Number MSRP Core Price Price
XL2Z19E624AA $73.98 $0.00 $53.27

CONTR ASY - A/C BLWR

I use billdubetoyota.com for parts. You will have it next day in Mass.

Give them a call to confirm it is the module that goes into the fan plenum.

Confirm yours is bad with a visual inspection. It is not fun to install, you have to rewire 5 wires with crimps. Good thing is the price dropped about 50% from a few years ago when I got it. If your ex is 10yrs old you should definitely pull this module and clean with parts cleaner to avoid a short.

I didn't realize the prices had come down so much on those... Last time I saw, they were over $100.

I didn't realize the prices had come down so much on those... Last time I saw, they were over $100.

yep..I was shocked. I guess its supply and demand. They may have overstock and these cars are getting older. The kit also fits 94-97 Tbirds/Couger/MK.

well im off to the pick and pull tomorrow to grab a few of these if i can find any and also some blower motors and anything else i can find because its 40$ all you can carry lol. if not ill order from that site. thanks guys

well i got 2 blower motors and a speed controller from a mountaineer only thing is the plugs are different i did cut the plug with the controller though. any idea how this would wire up the pins inside the controller are set up in the same way as the ones from my truck just a different shape plug itself. if anyone has wiring diagrams for a 96 limited with eacc and a new mountaineer i think its a 98 or 99 so i can splice the wires in that would be great.

I don't have the schematics for a 96 at home. I'll see what I can dig up on Monday.

'96 Explorer
1 TAN/ORG
2 BRN/ORG
3 WHT/PNK
4 ORG/BLK
5 BLK

'99 Mountaineer

Same as above

All the wires are the same color and in the same order looking at the diagrams I have for both vehicles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks guys everyone on here is awesome and willing to help. hopefully ill have heat again tomorrow lol

Back