• Register Today It's free!

New explorer owner, IL

eXcali

Reaction score
City, State
Bourbonnais, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT AWD 5.0
Hello, I've done a little work on Explorers in the past, and finally came across one for myself. I picked up a 98 XLT 5.0 AWD a couple of weeks ago, and got it very cheap. The price was 100% reason for my choice, but after some time driving/cleaning/working on it I have come to like it very much.

Before this purchase I was a big Durango fan, I owned a 2004 Durango SLT 4x4, and own a 99 durango 4x4. I haven't had the chance to take it off-road yet as it's been in single digits here. But I have put BFG AT KO's on the front, and waiting on taxes to put 2 more on the back. So far it's driven like a champ, 8 inches of snow the other day and the BFG's gripped like it was a clear 75 degree day.

A list of my future mods:
BF Goodrich AT KO's all around, 235 75 15's.
Clear headlights, markers and tail lights.
Green film from console stripped and cool blue LED's put in place
White gauge faces with black trim
Cool blue LEDs under driver and front passenger seats
Red LED added to door reflectors
License plate lights replaced with blue LEDs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I plan to post pictures as I complete these step by step, I imagine it will take about a year before I have a finished product due to $$ and time constraints.

nice man i have a 98 5.0 but mines a 2WD (got lucky on that 1 since i like drag racing my X) ill bet ya after driving your explorer for a while you may start to like it surpassing the durrango lol plus you get addicted to that low end torque. right around 300 ft lbs lol. did it surprise you when you put your foot down?

Actually I had the Hemi in the 04, it had some outstanding Torque! I just replaced the air filter and gonna do SeaFoam tomorrow so I haven't gotten a big show yet, but what I have seen so far is very respectable. I will really tell the difference when I pull a trailer, the Hemi pulled a 16 foot, double axle loaded with about 4000lbs very well, but I don't see myself needing to pull anything that heavy or large again. It definately has more punch than my 99 durango, and it's a lot closer as my 99 is still in Indiana.

Oh I put a K&N flat filter on it tonite, I reved it a few times and it sounded a lot more throaty, and better power. Haven't taken it out yet as I've been drinkin and tinkerin.

well ill tell ya mac has some really good performance parts for it they have a cold air intake for about 150 bucks and a really good exhaust for about 250 on explorerexpress.com if your interested. heres a vid of the exhaust on my 98 5.0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhG7lL4zOqY

leave a comment on youtube if you like it lol i have 5 or 6 vids on my profile so check em out too lol

sounds good, I haven't looked at my exhaust yet, does the 5.0 have an exhaust resonnator after the muffler that can be removed to get more growl out of it?

welcome

i dont believe so

Thanks cheesypoofs, guess there is no cheap shortcut for me then. If I get my list finished I may have to look into that system you showed. I had a shop in Indiana which did custom mufflers, and they ran about $200 for a custom build, I may have to do some digging to find out if I can find them, or if they are still in business even. I also had a buddy who could take your stock muffler and modify it for the sound you wanted.

thats pretty kool lol do the modified mufflers give you the same performance and high end gain of an aftermarket one?

thats pretty kool lol do the modified mufflers give you the same performance and high end gain of an aftermarket one?

When he would modify them, it involved cutting off the ends, then splitting the main housing. After this he would rework the chambers inside, mostly removing some of the sound dampening metal and giving a better flow and cleaner rumble. I don't think these mufflers would pass any state inspections so it couldn't be used in places like CA. Also you don't get the gain you would with bigger pipes. But he only charged like $50 and used your existing muffler, then welded it back together. I'm sure over time the welds might fail, but I took him my muffler from a 91 lumina years ago and it held for 3 years, might still hold today if it wasn't stolen.

its a kool idea but it almost seems like youd be better off buying aftermarket. plus if you were just going for a muffler you can get aftermarket mufflers starting at 40 bucks from shopmufflers.com. im happy with my Mac tho lol for a whole catback setup 250 was more than reasonable and the 3 inch out pipe really helped with high end torque

I got work done for a 6pack of beer from him, so it was well worth it for me. I'll have to do some digging, I'm sure this wasn't the only guy who does mods and the only shop to do custom work. If I find a place near me I just might have to check them out. I'd rather deal with someone I can drive to if there is any problems than to deal with a mail-order place.

Back