• Register Today It's free!

New Explorer Owner

sjkaholt

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer XLT V6 4x4
I just purchased a 2007 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 v6 4x4. Only had 68,000 miles as a local dealership trade-in.
Very happy with the rig so far. Looking to find out how to maintain my explorer properly, especially the transmission which I am hearing is prone to failing.

Actually the engine and the transmission like to fail with the 4.0l SOHC. I drop my transmission pan annually and change the filter and fluid. The engine is prone to catastrophic failures due to a poor design and plastic chain guides that fail and cause the chains to break and the interference engine will bend the valves. The engine is disposable. The failure can be delayed by the addition of a preoiler and regular synthetic oil changes, Congratulations on your purchase.

Actually the engine and the transmission like to fail with the 4.0l SOHC. I drop my transmission pan annually and change the filter and fluid. The engine is prone to catastrophic failures due to a poor design and plastic chain guides that fail and cause the chains to break and the interference engine will bend the valves. The engine is disposable. The failure can be delayed by the addition of a preoiler and regular synthetic oil changes, Congratulations on your purchase.
You say congratulations, but it doesn't sound like you recommend it... I am stuck though now since I own it and have to make payments. I do like everything about the explorer so far, but dreading any of these large failure items. I have a 3 year or up to 125,000 mile powertrain warranty, so if something big fails, I am hoping it is within that time frame.

Could be worse. They could have followed Chrysler suit and put the water pump on the inside of the block like they did with the ecoboost on the next Gen explorer. When it goes you have an expensive hunk of aluminium.

Back