New Explorer project, I need input | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Explorer project, I need input

First post here. I have been a 4x4'er for many years. I have mostly used Jeeps , Scout's and FJ's in the past. I have done spring overs, axles swaps, engine conversions, etc,etc. I currently have a stock 2004 4X4 F-150 and 2006 4X2 Ranger. I do not have an off roader at this time but that's about to change. I have decided to depart from the old iron and bulid something a little more high tech.

The next project will be an Explorer with a mild lift and 33's or 35's. I have been getting alot of good info on this site and I'm continuing to wade through the vast amount of info. These are the questions I have:

1. What is the best year Explorer for my base project? I want to start with a low mile rig and had a 2000 mod in mind. Any years I should stay away from?

2. Should I hold out for a V8 model?

3. Diffs are 8.8's right? If I go with 35's I'll want 4:88's. If I go with 33's I could stay with stock 4:10's. Any problem going to 4:88's with a 8.8 ?

4. Who makes the best 4" and 6" lift kits?

5. Will a 6" lift clear the 35"s?

6. I may do a SAS later, I have lots of Scout Dana 44's, will they work?

Thanks for your advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well it all depends on the money you want to spend. The cheapest route to clear 35's is a 3in BL an 2 inch suspension lift. With trimming. But the most expensive routes are the 5.5" RCD kit or a 4inch superlift with a TT up front and SOA in the rear. 4.88's and the 8.8 is no problem. The companies that actaully make lifts for the explorers are Superlift trailmaster and then an adoped RCD kit for the ranger. A V8 AWD model would be great. IF you pull the awd xfer case and put a manual t-case in. other then that search around there is an incredable amount of information on this site....WELCOME

Are all V8 modle trucks AWD? Thanks and ya I'm still searching :thumbsup:

Yes...all V-8 Explorers are AWD. You will find that the 95+ Explorers have a lot less available to them as far as lift kits. Also, the 95+ are IFS in the front, so you won't get good articulation unless you go SAS. The 91-94's are TTB so the articulation is better. As far as gearing, I'm on 33's with 4.56's and it's just about right. That's with the OHV V-6.

no some V8's are 2wd

if you need a offroader, get a 1st gen(1991-1994)

sn0border88 said:
to each his own.

I must agree with 95. The 1st gen is easier to lift, easier to do a solid axle swap with, and has a great mill under the hood. The tranny's do suck though. And they are cheap. The v8 would be nice but the awd wouldn't..granted you can swap that x-fer case out. It's my opinion that the 1st gen is the best offroad platform you can get with an explorer...but opinions are like buttholes...everyone got one and they usually stink :D

I agree as well, but there is no right or wrong answer. Everyone has their own opinion.

JDraper said:
Yes...all V-8 Explorers are AWD. You will find that the 95+ Explorers have a lot less available to them as far as lift kits. Also, the 95+ are IFS in the front, so you won't get good articulation unless you go SAS. The 91-94's are TTB so the articulation is better. As far as gearing, I'm on 33's with 4.56's and it's just about right. That's with the OHV V-6.

Would 35's work ok on a IFS? All my experience is with straight axles. Articulation won't be too important on this project as it will be mainly a semi serious trail/hunting/camping rig. Any problems regearing an IFS?

not really......the IFS doesnt really like the 35's but you should be fine. The gears for the front D35 i belive are reverse cut...

Blackdog said:
Would 35's work ok on a IFS? All my experience is with straight axles. Articulation won't be too important on this project as it will be mainly a semi serious trail/hunting/camping rig. Any problems regearing an IFS?

If your experience is with straight axles, then dont stop now. Swap it before you even start, you will eventually ;)

Blackdog said:

Biggest problem you would have would be eating wheel bearings...and they ain't cheap!! :eek: The wheel bearings on the IFS are a sealed unit going for around $200 each, and you can't rebuild 'em.

Shame you're not closer, I've got a '94 on 33's for sale that would be a perfect vehicle for that.

Back