New Explorer Radio/CD Changer | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

New Explorer Radio/CD Changer

olddog4041

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Exployer Eddie Bauer
Hi:
I have a 2004 Explorer, Eddie Bauer model. The 6 disk CD changer went upside down. Not ejecting the CD's. I pulled the battery (only because the terminals were coroding, so I cleaned it and greased the connections while I was at it).
According to several web sites disconnecting the power would reset the CD changer just like a mini computer. Not so lucky.
The cost of an aftermarket replacement unit rivals that of a new updated player. So I am checking out various new units.
I feel competent to do the installation myself, but am a bit confused about the after market wiring harnesses required. Appreciate any advice you can round up.
Tx
Olddog

BigRondo

USMC 1371
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Charlestown, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Escape SE
Hi:
I have a 2004 Explorer, Eddie Bauer model. The 6 disk CD changer went upside down. Not ejecting the CD's. I pulled the battery (only because the terminals were coroding, so I cleaned it and greased the connections while I was at it).
According to several web sites disconnecting the power would reset the CD changer just like a mini computer. Not so lucky.
The cost of an aftermarket replacement unit rivals that of a new updated player. So I am checking out various new units.
I feel competent to do the installation myself, but am a bit confused about the after market wiring harnesses required. Appreciate any advice you can round up.
Tx
Olddog

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

Swapping out the OEM head unit for an aftermarket unit is relatively easy process. www.crutchfield.com usually includes the correct harness for free if you order from them. They are a vendor here. I can personally vouch for their exceptional customer support. Here is the Crutchfield thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357207

Here is a good thread for swapping out the head unit in the 3rd Gen Ex: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271666

Good luck & happy Exploring! :biggthump

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!