New Ford Explorer Sport: Fuel-Efficient, High-Performance SUV | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Ford Explorer Sport: Fuel-Efficient, High-Performance SUV

SIAP - we are moving from CA to VA. I will be towing a 1965 Mustang GT 350 (new aluminum 306 crate engine with EFI) on a U-haul auto transport trailer. My options are towing with my 2016 Explorer Sport (Eco boost, 4WD) or my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 (Hemi, 4WD). The Explorer actually has more horsepower and I would prefer to use it to tow (newer, better brakes, more HP, better gas mileage), but will it burn out the turbos trying to tow a car that far?
Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dumb question maybe, but that being said, one i need to know. Is the 20% above or below the 35% limit? :)

The lower the percent, the darker the tint. So 20% is darker than 35%.

SIAP - we are moving from CA to VA. I will be towing a 1965 Mustang GT 350 (new aluminum 306 crate engine with EFI) on a U-haul auto transport trailer. My options are towing with my 2016 Explorer Sport (Eco boost, 4WD) or my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 (Hemi, 4WD). The Explorer actually has more horsepower and I would prefer to use it to tow (newer, better brakes, more HP, better gas mileage), but will it burn out the turbos trying to tow a car that far?
Thanks for the help.

No, the Explorer will be fine towing the car. :thumbsup:

2016 sport

Turned in our leased 2014 sport and picked up a 2016. Quite a difference in the feel and sound of the '16. Better exhaust note, nicer looking interior. We kept the same Ingot Silver color so the neighbors don't know if we bought a new car or not...none have asked. We bought this car instead of leasing. Ford treated us nicely with a 3 month early bird turn in on the '14. 5/8ths is very happy with how it drives and is starting to get into the turbos once in awhile. I think we're hooked. My only complaint is how the dust and road spray collects on the rear window and deck lid, but then all crossovers have the same issue...terrible engineering and wind tunnel designing I believe.

No, the Explorer will be fine towing the car. :thumbsup:

Turns out there's some legal issue between U-Haul and Ford where U-Haul will not allow you to toe anything behind an Explorer. It's the only vehicle in this situation. Lame.

Turns out there's some legal issue between U-Haul and Ford where U-Haul will not allow you to toe anything behind an Explorer. It's the only vehicle in this situation. Lame.
That policy changed a few years ago. U-Haul will rent trailers etc to Explorer owners.

Peter

That policy changed a few years ago. U-Haul will rent trailers etc to Explorer owners.

Peter

Correct. I think for 2011 and up, you should be okay.

Nope. They still won't rent an Autotransport (4 wheels off ground).

I just went to uhaul.com and priced out an Autotransport for a 2011 Ford Explorer 3.5 AWD that would be towing a 1997 Honda Civic 2-door (car I have). I believe the issue comes down to what you are towing because if I'm not mistaken, the 2011+ Explorer have a max tow rating of 5,000lbs. Since the car I choose falls within that range, it's doable.

I did try to price out my Explorer ('02 V8 4x4 with a 7200lb tow rating) and the Autotransport was not available (expected).

This is just a reminder to all that today is Tricia's birthday , As you all know she is one of our Ford Customer Service Reps and she has helped most of all with the updates on our vehicles orders including mine. Please wish her a Happy Birthday.
Thank you.

Happy Birthday Tricia.

This is just a reminder to all that today is Tricia's birthday , As you all know she is one of our Ford Customer Service Reps and she has helped most of all with the updates on our vehicles orders including mine. Please wish her a Happy Birthday.
Thank you.

Happy Birthday Tricia.
Thank you very much, NY1PR2012! :D

Tricia

How is the Launch mode with 2016 XP Sport? Did anyone tried that at the red light? I wonder if such a heavy vehicle could even reach it at 0-6 in 6 seconds?

How is the Launch mode with 2016 XP Sport? Did anyone tried that at the red light? I wonder if such a heavy vehicle could even reach it at 0-6 in 6 seconds?
You should be checking out the threads in the 'Modified' sub forum where members installed 'tunes' in the Sports.

Peter

I just got my Ford Explorer sport 16 delivered yesterday, Magnetic white. Picked it up today. Fast as a rat and no turbo lag at all compared to my previous 14xlt. The 3.5 Ecoboost turbocharged makes all the difference. Truck sits noticeably lower, has tighter steering and the suspension also tighter. MFT is fast and is easy to use.

Team -

I've driven several Explorer XLTs as rental cars recently. They feel huge, larger than they are and not in a good way. What are your thoughts about the difference in driving dynamics on the Sport?

I'm not looking for BMW dynamics, but candidly I do have a BMW nearing lease-end and will be replacing it with this car. So I'd like it to suck as little as possible by comparison.

Thanks.

Team -

I've driven several Explorer XLTs as rental cars recently. They feel huge, larger than they are and not in a good way. What are your thoughts about the difference in driving dynamics on the Sport?

I'm not looking for BMW dynamics, but candidly I do have a BMW nearing lease-end and will be replacing it with this car. So I'd like it to suck as little as possible by comparison.

Thanks.

If you are coming from a BMW then buy nothing short of the Sport or Platinum models as anything less will probably be a disappointment. I used to drive BMW and Mercedes.

I have not been disappointed...

We live on a ranch in Colorado, near Pagosa Springs and Wolf Creek Pass. This sport doesn't even know the pass exists...nice power and torque curves...it's amazing.
Gary, this is an old post I'm quoting; not sure if you are still around - but we did last 4th of July at a campground at 160 & 667. I bet that's near your place. Great time, a little rainy.

I towed my pop-up over the pass behind my aging 2004 V6 Explorer, which required everything it had on offer, especially going back the other way. It was the trip that got me thinking about consolidating my new sedan and the old SUV into a new SUV, to make our family outings more enjoyable. I may find myself in your neck of the woods again this summer in a Sport!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back