New Ford Explorer Sport: Fuel-Efficient, High-Performance SUV | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Ford Explorer Sport: Fuel-Efficient, High-Performance SUV

This ban has been lifted for all 2011+ Explorers :)

9523927685_db5e32ebfd_z.jpg

Great news, this has not been widely published!?:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We just bought (leased for 2 4mo.) ours two weeks ago. We're striking out of California from Colorado for Thanksgiving...my wife, 5/8ths (my better half...I'm 3/8ths) loves the Sport. After selling my Porsche boxter with trip and paddle shift, I'm in heaven with the power and acceleration...be careful on your first test drive...it will push you back into your seat. There seems to be NO turbo lag like lots of turbo cars and trucks...it's right there and eagerly available. We're under 1000 miles yet so I'll report after our Ca. trip. I can't even imagine what a track star this Exploder would be chipped? Anyone tried that yet? The seats are amazingly comfortable, more support according to 5/8ths than our old 2002 Lincoln which we traded in on this Beauty...Silver by the way...I'll post a pic if I can figure out this forum. I post on Garage Journal by the way as santagary. We live on a ranch in Colorado, near Pagosa Springs and Wolf Creek Pass. This sport doesn't even know the pass exists...nice power and torque curves...it's amazing. I'm really looking forward to the trip and seeing our kids,,, grandkids and three great grand kids.

porsche

The boxter seats really bothered and were really uncomfortable for 5/8ths so what's a guy gonna do but make mamma comfy, right? I miss the Boxter for sure...especially the screaming boxter six and the "like it's on rails handling." I'll have another one before I go to the nursing home...but this Explorer is VERY impressive...I'll know more after a 3k trip to CA. for sure which is why I leased it on a "trial" basis.

I buy and flip cars and trucks a lot on EBay... recently, I sold and shipped a '46 Ford pickup to Australia, which was featured last year in Vintage Truck magazine. I must have rust in my blood...and being born in Akron, Ohio, I was immersed in cars, tires, racing and all of it. I'm looking forward to this forum as much as I enjoy now Garage Journal.com

The boxter seats really bothered and were really uncomfortable for 5/8ths so what's a guy gonna do but make mamma comfy, right? I miss the Boxter for sure...especially the screaming boxter six and the "like it's on rails handling." I'll have another one before I go to the nursing home...but this Explorer is VERY impressive...I'll know more after a 3k trip to CA. for sure which is why I leased it on a "trial" basis.

I buy and flip cars and trucks a lot on EBay... recently, I sold and shipped a '46 Ford pickup to Australia, which was featured last year in Vintage Truck magazine. I must have rust in my blood...and being born in Akron, Ohio, I was immersed in cars, tires, racing and all of it. I'm looking forward to this forum as much as I enjoy now Garage Journal.com

Let us know what your avg mpgs are on the trip and be safe!

We found that the Boxster and Cayman seats were quite comfortable for both myself and my wife, but we also just had the standard seats, not the sport seats (not sure which you had). I have to agree that the handling on the cars was great, and I especially miss the Cayman. That said, the Ex has been a wonderful car which I have no regrets buying.

Have a great road trip!

boxter seats

I was really fine with the seats and I should have mentioned that 5/8ths had L4-5 fusion, hence the discomfort I guess. Although she can still put her palms flat on the floor, even with shoes on. She might also been afraid of my speed demon demeanor whenever I drove that car...God now I really miss it...I've got to stop talking about it!

back from the CA trip

Well, we're back from our T-Giving trip to Fairfield, Napa and beyond. We put 2450 miles on the Sport and averaged 20.3. We cruised a lot at from 65 to 85 mph on the Interstates. The 20's picked up a lot of road noise when the pavement was rough, which were most of the Arizona miles and a lot of the CA. miles. We brought back several cases of wine picked out from dozens of "flites" and sippings at many wineries in the Napa Valley. The one thing I hate are the smallish buttons operating the cruise control on the left lower part of the steering wheel...especially that damned +set button on the far left...it's too low and very much too small...I won't lease or buy another one until they fix that feature. That may sound picky, but it drove me to bad language and strong drink every day I drove it! HA! What else is new? The seats are incredible and the moon roof is a nice touch. We also came to realize that this is a BIG suv...it looked smaller on the showroom at Ziems Ford in Farmington, NM...plug! I ran out of wine money before I ran out of room with just the rear seat folded down. That rear area seems much larger and for sure is much easier to load and unload than my old beloved 2002 Town Car . The headlights are amazing...we drove in fog and light drizzle from Flagstaff to Pagosa today. The handling around curves is amazing...we drove 50 miles or so in the Napa Valley with 15 and 20 mile an hour curves...that would have been a great Porshce road for sure, but the Sport handled it nicely. The acceleration continues to amaze me in second gear and up. The paddle shift works nicely without needing to shift to Manual and was pointed out by someone earlier in this forum. Overall, we were impressed and I guess we'll keep it. ;) PS: A dozen or so troopers "allowed" us to pass unscathed when we were obviously travelling 15mph or so than the rest of the traffic....out of admiration and respect I guess! HA! It was scary at first, but then we came to expect the treatment...cool!

20.3 mpg I thought it would have gotten a little better then that. My V8 Sport Trac 4x4 with 18" AT'S on it got 20.5 to 21.5 mpg. But all in all not to bad I guess for a 365hp 4x4

We averaged between 27.2 to 26 on the current tune on a 1200 mile round trip.

oil change frequency?

We did the 1st oil change at 3345miles yesterday and the oil looked clean. It took 6 quarts of Mobile 1 5-30 and a new filter. 5/8ths and her friends are finding any excuse now to drive to Durango and Farmington, 120 and 200 mile trips...I rarely get to use it except when I take it to the carwash and gas it up. I'm sure looking forward to our next trip...probably to Tyler TX in April for another visit with kids and grandkids and the Azalea Trail which is cool. Any other new owner/lessees out there???

We averaged between 27.2 to 26 on the current tune on a 1200 mile round trip.

I have no idea how you got that awesome of a mpg, but congrats. I just got back from driving from New Orleans, LA to Destin, FL, and back, and only averaged mid 20's on the highway. And this was with fresh synthetic oil, perfect tire pressure, average ambient temps of mid 50's, average speed of 70mph, and absolutely no wind at all that would otherwise have any effect on mpg's.

I'm running the stock Ford tune, and the only mod I have is a drop-in K&N filter, which shouldn't make any difference at all.

The only time I've seen anything above 21mpg is when driving on the downhill portion of a bridge, lol.

There is a tune with an SCT handheld in it. I just changed to synthetic yesterday so we'll see how it does going to Florida in another month. On the stock cal I was getting 23.5 max on the highway which isn't too bad for a factory cal.

There is a tune with an SCT handheld in it. I just changed to synthetic yesterday so we'll see how it does going to Florida in another month. On the stock cal I was getting 23.5 max on the highway which isn't too bad for a factory cal.

Where did you buy your SCT handheld...tell me more and school me on this as I would love more mpg. Merry Christmas and a speedy, healthy, prosperous New Year to you all...let me be the first. g

Happy holidays everyone!

How is everyone getting such good mileage? Went to Texas from California. 1400 miles one way and I got about 18.5 mpg

How is everyone getting such good mileage? Went to Texas from California. 1400 miles one way and I got about 18.5 mpg

How fast were you driving? My '02 V8 4x4 Explorer is avg about 19mpg (last tank was 19.4) on my 70 mile daily commute. I run 87 non-ethanol, avg about 65 mph and manually figure out my mpgs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back