New Ford Ranger Edge 4x2 Ext cab 2001 owner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Ford Ranger Edge 4x2 Ext cab 2001 owner

Dennis Glenn CD.

Reaction score
City, State
St Albert Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ranger Edge
Hello all. This is my my first Ford product in many years. I hope it works better than my previous rides as they did not fare well.
Anyone with some advice for the 2001 is welcome to pass it along to me.
The truck has 107K Km on it. I bought at a repo auction so I have no history on it.
I only have one key and I have been told that the dealer must program the key. Is this true or is it a rip off?
How does this truck work with synthetic fluids in all compartments?
How does it work as a trailer hawler? 3600Lb trailer?
Any secrets to make it work better?

1.yep if its a pats key
2. great syn fluids are great
3. fine
4. get a cold air intake

Welcome to the site!

If I may add something regarding the key:

The PATS key (has a chip inside) - you can buy this from places like ebay for cheap. Have it properly cut at any homedepo or Cantire and then bring it to your ford dealer. Unfortunately with only 1 key - the dealer has to do the programming. If you had 2 keys - then you can do the programming of a third key yourself.

This is also a good reason to buy a least a pair of the blank keys. Then make 2 duplicates - so that you wont have to go through the painful and expensive process again should you lose another key.

BTW my local Ford wanted $75 to program 1 key. And an obcenely overinflated price if they supply the blank and make it from scratch (which they would probably have another local locksmith duplicate anyway) - I think $175.

Back