new from ohio with a 5.0 1998 ranger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new from ohio with a 5.0 1998 ranger

Young_unn

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ranger,W/97 5.0
im from ohio, names josh

i just put a 5.0 ranger together, and learning new style motors very quickly

i usualy builld and drive daily old 50's and 60's with no computers! they are my hobby, but i always liked the idea of fuel injection starting on cold mornings and i love the rangers body. so i took a 97 5.0 with a mild build and stuck it in a 98 ranger!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! Take a picture of the engine compartment. Which transmission did you put into it?

not sure the trans, but i think its a 4r70w, the ranger is a 2wd, but i kept the tranfercase and all the other bits in for the 4wd, so i can hopefully, eventually change the front end out and have 4wd. the trans is rebuilt with a nice little shift kit.

the engine fits magically in the engine sompartment, i only had to pull the inner fenders to fit the headers in

picture sucks but ill get a better one later

is that the tubing and blue clamps to a Mac intake i c? Lol man keep that thing 2wd and turn it into a drag truck that thing would be sick with a turbo and 10 lbs of boost, a more aggressive cam hell mabe even the 347 stroker kit...Sick nasty ^_^

(Oh and BTW i dont know if ur into football but... GO BUCKEYES!!!)

is that the tubing and blue clamps to a Mac intake i c? Lol man keep that thing 2wd and turn it into a drag truck that thing would be sick with a turbo and 10 lbs of boost, a more aggressive cam hell mabe even the 347 stroker kit...Sick nasty ^_^

(Oh and BTW i dont know if ur into football but... GO BUCKEYES!!!)

BUCKEYES! lol

the only reason i would put 4wd drive on is i live in cleveland, grass is smoother than out roads, then i get lake affect snow lol.

ohh and it will get boost once i figure out the small issues with the motor first. its all set up and waiting.

thats awesome man u ever thought of stroking it to the 347 since u said u have experience building engines? Theres a guy in here JTSmith that stroked his 5.0 mtneer and its pretty sick.

oh and eventually if u need help with the tuning talk to a guy in here named James Henson he does the vast majority of tunes for the guys on the forum. www.hensonperformance.com

thats awesome man u ever thought of stroking it to the 347 since u said u have experience building engines? Theres a guy in here JTSmith that stroked his 5.0 mtneer and its pretty sick.

i was thinking about it. but not quite sure. im looking to have this truck as a daily driver.

i build a friend a stroker for his mustang, its fun to drive but not as a daily.

yo man do you have an MSN or Yahoo messenger?

oh and eventually if u need help with the tuning talk to a guy in here named James Henson he does the vast majority of tunes for the guys on the forum. www.hensonperformance.com

thanks ill have to talk to him soon,

im not sure but i heard that if i have cam changed etc. i need to tune the computer accordingly?

your 5.0L transfer case is actually a full time AWD t case is you rused the 97 Explorer 5.0L drivetrain

nice truck!
I have an 88 BII running a 97.5 Exploder 5.0L, 4r70w and a 1354 t case, I converted the truck to OBD-II so it actually thinks it is a 98 Mercury!

Nice work and we need more pictures/details....

your 5.0L transfer case is actually a full time AWD t case is you rused the 97 Explorer 5.0L drivetrain

nice truck!
I have an 88 BII running a 97.5 Exploder 5.0L, 4r70w and a 1354 t case, I converted the truck to OBD-II so it actually thinks it is a 98 Mercury!

Nice work and we need more pictures/details....

lol so does that mean yoke on the transfercase is spinning the whole time im driving lol.

my ranger thinks its a 97 explorer

im waiting to do the body, first i need to get the engine running right, my problem is in the engines forum i think. fenders dont match so they dont line up causing the header panel not to line up etc.

btw the way. it has an 8.8 traction lock with 3.73 gears, dual exhaust the interior is from a mountineer, with the leathers seats center condole, heads up display and the auto dimming rear view

flzhvd.jpg
<br><br>
zxpnkp.jpg

nice!

what do you mean "engines forum?"

can you pull the codes?

Yes your front driveshaft yoke is spinning always, the awd t case sends 70% power to the rear, 30% to the front

Also when you put your truck in park I believe it locks park through the front driveshaft so um yeah does your truck roll in park?

Sounds like you need to pull the engines computer codes

You can find my 5.0L drivetrain conversion thread in my signature, my 88 has 99 heated seats also, love your truck! lets get it running right!

nice!

what do you mean "engines forum?"

can you pull the codes?

Yes your front driveshaft yoke is spinning always, the awd t case sends 70% power to the rear, 30% to the front

Also when you put your truck in park I believe it locks park through the front driveshaft so um yeah does your truck roll in park?

Sounds like you need to pull the engines computer codes

You can find my 5.0L drivetrain conversion thread in my signature, my 88 has 99 heated seats also, love your truck! lets get it running right!

actually the truck does roll in park, Very slowly.

the only code it says is Engine running rich. i think bank one, when i put it on a computer its running about 25-30% rich on both sides

in the under the hood thread, or forum

heres some more pictures also

2zf1zdx.jpg

4t6q6w.jpg

2nsvvad.jpg

fjf1ci.jpg

2j64y2c.jpg

29ftlp4.jpg

welcome and nice ranger

Back