• Register Today It's free!

New from Reading, PA

nickxxxr

Reaction score
City, State
Near Reading, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 4 door 4x4 4.0
new guy here. soon to be explorer owner. looking for advice from experts before i buy.

im looking at a 2000 explorer 4.0 5 speed 4 door 4x4. 126000 miles. needs brakes all the way around, abs light is on, needs inspection, and the idle hovers about 300 rpm for a sec or two than drops down to normal when you hit gas. im thinking a tps. he wants 1900 and i got him down to 1600. im assuming $500 in repairs. what do you all think? is it a good deal or not worth the money? any and all opinions, advice whatever is welcome. i really am looking to get into an explorer as my family is getting bigger, but wanna find a good deal. please help thank you. i appreciate it all

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

these 5 speeds seem rare around here, especially in 4 door. its one of the reasons i want it. are they actually a rare find?

oh yeah and to add to the list, the a/c comp is clicking on and off in a/c mode. should only need a recharge i hope and not a new compressor. forgot that one

Sounds like a good deal to me even with those issues.

hello from an eastern PA member.

sounds nice!

looking forward to being back on when i get all my stuff/issues straightened out here at the house

Welcome! I'm from Boyertown, PA. About 20 minutes from Reading.

Welcome to another PA resident!

thamks guys. still working out deal with the guy. alot of guys around me thats good

Welcome to another fellow Pennsylvanian. Seems like a fair deal. 5 speed exs are kinda hard to find. The OHV 4.0 is pretty solid, so you have a good drivetrain. Also, check the ball joints because if they have not been replaced yet, they could be bad.

Greetings. Fred Neck Md. here.
Bought my 2000 Ex, 140k, 4.0 auto 4x4 last summer for 1200.
Needed everything you listed and more. Replaced All Front End Components, All 5 shocks, Rear Spring Shackles, Brakes, Rotors, Fr. Hub assemblies, . All of that after previous owner (wife cousin) said..
It only needs a fuel pump!!!!
YES It Did Need, and Received one.
I did all the work in my Driveway, with a 10x10 Canopy for shade and rain guard. Why??? you may ask??
Just to prove to myself that I can.
And being a tinker most of life, Figured, Why Not, Retired, 67 y.o new tool box, and DISCOVERED This Wonderful Forum for Explorers!
The fine folks on this forum, can help you solve any issue you may come across. MAIN THING..
Get an OBD 2 Diagnostic Scanner, then Install The FORSCAN Program on a Laptop. It functions MUCH BETTER than using a Smart Phone w Bluetooth. ( I don't trust them)
The programs will find any problems, then once corrected , you can turn out the CEL light.
Also, Contrary to Public opinion here, I used DETROIT AXLE Components. Some Swear by MOOG, But after some poor fitting Moog parts, Returned them, Used D.A. , Not ONE Issue!! BTW, MOOG Components are Made in China Now, so unless you MUST SPEND extra money, D.A. does the job!

Greetings. Fred Neck Md. here.
Bought my 2000 Ex, 140k, 4.0 auto 4x4 last summer for 1200.
Needed everything you listed and more. Replaced All Front End Components, All 5 shocks, Rear Spring Shackles, Brakes, Rotors, Fr. Hub assemblies, . All of that after previous owner (wife cousin) said..
It only needs a fuel pump!!!!
YES It Did Need, and Received one.
I did all the work in my Driveway, with a 10x10 Canopy for shade and rain guard. Why??? you may ask??
Just to prove to myself that I can.
And being a tinker most of life, Figured, Why Not, Retired, 67 y.o new tool box, and DISCOVERED This Wonderful Forum for Explorers!
The fine folks on this forum, can help you solve any issue you may come across. MAIN THING..
Get an OBD 2 Diagnostic Scanner, then Install The FORSCAN Program on a Laptop. It functions MUCH BETTER than using a Smart Phone w Bluetooth. ( I don't trust them)
The programs will find any problems, then once corrected , you can turn out the CEL light.
Also, Contrary to Public opinion here, I used DETROIT AXLE Components. Some Swear by MOOG, But after some poor fitting Moog parts, Returned them, Used D.A. , Not ONE Issue!! BTW, MOOG Components are Made in China Now, so unless you MUST SPEND extra money, D.A. does the job!
Oh yea, I DID Get a F.E. Alignment and Wheel Balance. The old gad runs like New!!

Welcome.

Back