• Register Today It's free!

New From UK

mick 1836

Reaction score
City, State
Stafford,England,UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4.0. XLT. RHD.LPG
Hi fellow Explorer owners,I have just joined this group having reacently purchased a 1997 4.0 Explorer here in England UK:). Are there any other English owners in this group? I hope that some of our American Explorer experts will be able to answer a few questions. The car has covered 46,000 mls and I have bought it mainly to tow a large caravan. I hope to get her dual fuel converted soon so as to reduce my running costs. One of the first questions I have is how much does the English vertion of the Explorer differ to the American spec?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i got a few questions about words or phrases i didnt understand.

"a large caravan" - is that like a trailer?
"dual fuel" - is that like gas/electric?

Sorry, large trailer is indeed a caravan twin axel that I should be collecting within the next few weeks.
Dual fuel in the UK the latest craze is to convert your petrol engine to petrol and gas (LPG) which is half the price of petrol.
I hope you get this reply in the correct place although I have used chat rooms and news groups before your system is a bit new to me so please forgive me if I make a mistake:confused:

Welcome to the group. You will find all your answers here.... :confused:

Welcome to the site!

The petrol/gas conversion sounds rather interesting. What exactly is involved with it?

I have a friend in London right now and she's having a great time. If funds permit I am hoping to visit her in April. But money has its ways of disappearing!

I know we have a few UK members on the site and I am sure we will be able to help you out with any questions you may have.

Take care and happy postin'!:)

Thanks for the replys so far :), the question about how does LPG work? :confused: well I am no expert but it basically works the same way as how petrol enters your engine, the main differance is that over here petrol is 80 pence per litre where as LPG is 30 pence, please visit the following web site which can explain it better.
www.dotslashslash.com .
I have today received a catalogue form an American company Performance Products, however I have to e-mail them because there catalogue does not indicate if they do mail order to the UK also do they sell products for English spec Explorers, I am sure there will be a number of items that are identical but if it is wrong the shipping charges to send then return could be more than the price of the item.

Another UK Explorer Owner

Hi

To answer you questions, our Uk/European Spec Explorers are identical to the US Spec (excepting obvious RHD parts).

On your Dual Fuel conversion, I looked into this and I found a few difficulties, although many companies do the conversion, they omit to mention that it may cause backfires in the manifold that will destroy the plastic inlet manifold, only one company does a conversion, flying gas an Italian Company that doesn't cause this and will not degard the performance, however the cost was £2k + VAT.

If you what any info on this you can e-mail me on mark_drysdale47@hotmail.com[url/] ...his helps and please feel free to contact me.

Back