Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Garner, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 F150
Callsign
N1LVN
Got my first package from Rock Auto today.

IMG_5182.jpg

The upper control arms and CV axles should be in on Tuesday. I'll have to pick up a kit for the sway bar bushings this week, and get to work tearing it down.

After 170k miles and a chewed up set of tires on there, I thought it was time to just do it all at once. Never touched any of the ball joints, and they boots have been split all the way around for several years now. The vibration and pulling on the highway lately told me it was time to part it and get some maintenance done on it.

Thanks to Turdle for convincing me to spend a boatload of money. I didn't order hubs, because another $300 on top of what I've spent was gonna sting a little. Worst case, I pick up a pair - best case I do it later - they are easier to get to than the rest.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats a beutiful thing. I had trouble with one of my upper control arm bolts comming loose and it was hard to get to. The moog bushing was a little tight in there and It has warn a little since. hopefully its a good pivot point now.

Ugh! It's always something! I got my second package in today, with the rest of my parts. Then I find out that the RH control arm is PART of a 2 piece design! CRAP! Guess what? They don't have THE OTHER PART! I'm trying to replace all of the control arms, and bushing, and I don't have the rest of one side. I've got the ball joint piece, but not the bushing end. This freakin' sucks! If I knew I wasn't getting both pieces (which admittedly I should have) then I would have been forced to switch to the one piece design. Now it'll cost me a stinking fortune in shipping to deal with this .... not to mention delaying the repair by several days. :thumbsdown:

Now, to try finding them locally so I don't have to wait for another shipment. Not that it matters. I tend to drag things out ... plus I've got a rental until next week! :D Then I guess I need to find someone to press them. I think I probably have that covered too. A bit disappointed that everything won't match now. :(

rizz,
is the 2 piece design favored over the one piece? that is crazy, why send out 1 part of a 2 part piece.... looks like you bought the whole lower control arm and they already have the bushings installed? that is cool.

Smart idea just doing everything. This past weekend, my plans were lower ball joints, TT and shackles. But when I was in there I kept saying "I could/should change this or that" Plus even though my outer tie rods were good, the castle nut would not go back on because the threads were rusted away. Try finding outer tie rods for a '01 Sport on a Sunday. 4 stores told me it was a special order only.

Credit goes to Turdle for talking me into just replacing everything, or at least confirming my desire to. I can take the money that it would cost to have a shop replace just the ball joints, replace the whole arms instead, only have to mess with an easier job of unbolting the old and bolting up the new, replace WAY more parts, and STILL not hit the money that the shop would charge me. NO BRAINER! I really should do the hubs too, and I will do the sway bar bushing and ends. I SHOULD also do the axle seals, but they aren't leaking, I don't think and ... well .... I don't want to mess with it.

can you tell us a total for the parts? I am thinking this might be way easier than doing ball joints

does rock auto sell a kit?

whats the maker of those parts?...cant be moog can it?

Uppers are Moog. Lowers are Cardone. Doesn't look like Moog makes lowers, and I didn't want to mess with the ball joint and bushings.

$455, shipped for

Part Number Part Type Price EA Core EA Quantity Total
1997 FORD EXPLORER 5.0L 302cid V8 MFI (P)
CARDONE SELECT 662027 (66-2027) CV Half Shaft Assembly $ 50.79 $ 0.00 1 $ 50.79
CARDONE SELECT 662101 (66-2101) CV Half Shaft Assembly $ 50.79 $ 0.00 1 $ 50.79
MOOG K8708T Control Arm $ 92.79 $ 0.00 1 $ 92.79
MOOG K8710T Control Arm $ 91.79 $ 0.00 1 $ 91.79
SPICER/RAYBESTOS 5071143 Control Arm $ 70.89 $ 0.00 1 $ 70.89
SPICER/RAYBESTOS 5071144 Control Arm $ 70.89 $ 0.00 1 $ 70.89
Discount $ -21.40
Shipping Location 1 Ground (FedEx or UPS) $ 22.91
Shipping Location 2 Ground (FedEx or UPS) $ 25.80
Order Total $ 455.25

Got hit twice for shipping 'cause the lowers came from a different warehouse. Forum discount made that a wash. Notice I also got the CV axles as well. Still really need $300 for hubs, and $40-$50 for the sway bar bushings, and $25-$35 for the right side upper Moog bushings. Total will be about $850, before alignment and tires. That probably what a shop would charge me just to replace the 4 ball joints.

Jon,

You think I'll be able to do this with a hand press? i.e. the c-clamp looking thing with the bolt in the middle? I might be able to find someone else with a real press if I need to.

With that mileage on original parts, you should also do the inner/outer tie rod ends while you're under there.

That's a good idea. Was meaning to look at that. Cha ching. Cha ching. It's only money right? :rolleyes:

You guys are killin' me here! :( But, you're right, I need to do this once. So, talk me into the axle seals while you're at it. And I guess I might as well order some shackles now, so I can crank up the front, and get the rear to match. I just don't want my stock 235-75R15 tires and wheels to look goofy 'cause the truck is too high. I am NOT putting larger tires on.

You guys are killin' me here! :( But, you're right, I need to do this once. So, talk me into the axle seals while you're at it. And I guess I might as well order some shackles now, so I can crank up the front, and get the rear to match. I just don't want my stock 235-75R15 tires and wheels to look goofy 'cause the truck is too high. I am NOT putting larger tires on.

I wouldn't bother with the seals if they're holding, and the shackles and torsion twist are easy enough to do later if you decide that's what you want.

If it makes you feel better a local shop "offered" to do 2 lower ball joints and 1 upper control arm, alignment kit, and an alignment all for the low low price of $1050. No kiss first either.... I declined, they offered again.... I said thanks for your time and they were kind enuff to charge $15 for looking at it.... Yeah, that was cool. I havent been back. And to think, all I wanted was a front end alignment.

rizz, do u know if the 2 piece upper control arm is better than the 1 piece?

If it makes you feel better a local shop "offered" to do 2 lower ball joints and 1 upper control arm, alignment kit, and an alignment all for the low low price of $1050. No kiss first either.... I declined, they offered again.... I said thanks for your time and they were kind enuff to charge $15 for looking at it.... Yeah, that was cool. I havent been back. And to think, all I wanted was a front end alignment.

rizz, do u know if the 2 piece upper control arm is better than the 1 piece?

yes it's better, it makes it easier to do an alignment, and gives you more range in the alignment. It helps more if you have done a torsion twist up or down, but if your stock height you'll be fine with the one piece.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it's expensive, but at least you're doing it the right way (complete rebuild) and using the top parts.

When I did my rebuild last summer, it used off-brand parts to save a few bucks. 6 months later the new ball joints started making noise again. 2 months after that, an endlink snapped.

Back