New Front Pump 5R55S = must the trans be vertical to install the new pump | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Front Pump 5R55S = must the trans be vertical to install the new pump

08EddieCA

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 & 03 X (Eddie B & XLS)
First, I'm not good with Transmissions. I can do the basic maintenance etc but not anything inside the trans.

I may have a bad front pump for various reasons. Biggest reason is the TC may not have been seated properly and completely however I'm 99% sure the TC is seated fully. When I pulled the engine a few weeks ago I notice trans fluid at the bottom of the bellhousing.

Since I'm pulling the engine again this weekend, I want to install a new reman pump. I also have a copy of the service manual for the trans. The book says to have the trans vertical so nothing falls out. That gave me pause. I was planning on removing the pump and reinstalling the new pump while the engine bay is empty.

The only thing I can see falling out is a bunch of tranny fluid. Can't I simply unbolt the pump, remove the pump with the appropriate pump removal tool and install the new pump?

I have a photo of the trans with the tranny fluid in the bellhousing but I can't get photobucket to move the photo over.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will say your results will be poor with attempting this repair.When you pull the pump you wiill pull on the OD drum and lift it off the clutches. Could even dislodge the drive plate from OD planets. The fluid in the bell can be from the breather. If trans is overfilled or overheated it will send fluid out the breather. The breather is attached to the bell housing.

Great. I was also hoping it came from the TC and just didn't notice it when I pulled it off. I put a new engine in a few weeks ago but the crank is beyond spec so there is a massive vibration at 2600 rpms. Mfg just sent me a brand new engine. I'm now going to try simply replacing the seal and cross my fingers. Trans was overfilled. I will have to wait and see at this point. So no pump replacement is the consensus. Thank you for your input. Appreciated. New engine goes in this week. New flexplate, tc, and spacer.

@08EddieCA
After looking at the blown-up view of trans. internals, gotta agree, several parts will likely come out with the pump. There are 2 Overdrive Brake Drum seals and a Thrust washer which might cause trouble, not to mention the drum assembly itself.

What's wrong with standing the transmission up in a corner, and yanking out the pump? If you did any damage to the pump by tightening transmission to engine bolts with TC not seated, and don't know this for certain, the whole damn thing comes apart again! imp

Excellent point. The crank is beyond spec on my new engine generating a massive vibration and causing the rear seal to leak. I already have the new replacement engine with a new crank. Reason for the hesitation is I have a broken left hand. But I do agree with you. I may just have to enlist someone to assist.

Oh, forgot to mention I've never removed a trans before. I have the manuals but limited experience. That's another reason for my hesitation.

Back