new front springs needed with winch? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new front springs needed with winch?

davidk

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Limited
I'm going to install a Warn front receiver on my 93 XLT 4dr 5spd so I can occasional mount a Warn 9000 receiver-mount winch. Do I need to modify my stock front suspension, such as springs, a lift, steering stabilizer, etc.? I'm staying with my 235/75/15 Michelin LT LTX-AT tires (just bought new ones). Thanks for any help.
David

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It will be fine on the front end...it isnt that heavy...LOL

Thanks for the reply. Let me add a few things. My Explorer has 178K miles on the stock front springs, I don't know how long they last. I just replaced the Bilsteins, though. I'll be adding a second battery per the suggestions on this site, just in front of the radiator expansion tank. With the extra weight of the winch, the pretty beefy mounting bracket and the second battery, would this adversely affect the front end regards steering stability? Or is the stock front end OK to handle that extra weight. Since it is not lifted, should I not bother than with a steering stabilizer? My off road stuff is mainly forest dirt roads in the Sierras (all seasons and all conditions) and dirt/sand roads in Nevada (ghost town hunting). Thanks again.

David

i don't know if this helps since i have a completly different suspension than you but my brush guard probably weighs more than your winch and it didn't make my front end sag or effect my steering at all...plus i've never heard of this issue from anyone with brush guards, winchs, etc on the front end...
edit: couldn't hurt to lift anyway though :D

Dave, if after the install you are unable to achieve the proper front end alighnment (Camber), then youll have to add springs. The front is more than able to handle the wieght. I have approx. 150 pnds of bumper and winch at the front and had to change the springs to compensate but I dont think that youll have any issues.

Thanks for the input. After I get the front receiver, brush guard, 2nd battery and winch installed, I'll have the alignment checked. My concern was for front end stability at highway speed (I never drive over 70), sounds like it will be OK.

David

Back