• Register Today It's free!

New Gauges on the way!!

zachow3

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 5.0 AWD
Have'nt found anyone that uses these but I purchased some gauges from Glowshift. I knew what i wanted but after more research these fit my budget better. These 3 are for my supercharger. Bought a 2 gauge pillar pod too. Building a 2 gauge holder for my center console so need 1 more gauge. Leaning towards a water temp. They look like good quality and very friendly customer service. Guess I will find out.
Anyway thought I would share some pics. I like the look:thumbsup:

Attachments

• 30boost.jpg
    30boost.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 828
  • OilPSI.jpg
    OilPSI.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 813
  • Wideband.jpg
    Wideband.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 883

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice i like the look also , Not Sure of the Brand either , but did see them before somewhere , let us know how the Oil and Water Work out , I Plan To SC my 91 Navajo with the Thunderbird Super Coupe Charger and some of the other parts Since i Own the Whole Car And Can Take Whatever off it

I just finished up the install of my Glowshift Fuel Pressure gauge this morning. A lot of guys on the Superduty forums say you get what you pay for. But others seem to have had good experiences so I figured what the heck.

I just finished up the install of my Glowshift Fuel Pressure gauge this morning. A lot of guys on the Superduty forums say you get what you pay for. But others seem to have had good experiences so I figured what the heck.

Fuel Pressure....Now i need another gauge!;)
And yes you do get what you pay for but these are not the cheapest out there.
With a 10% discount and free shipping I will give um a try.

Fuel Pressure....How did I forget that one?:eek:

Top one water/trans temp. Bottom one volts. Both from GlowShift. Had them for a while now, no issues. I love em.
DSCF1098.jpg

glowshift2.jpg

I went with the classic needle gauge. I am pleased with the quality so far.

I have glowshift gauges in my s2000. The wideband gauge is good but I don't really like the boost gauge. If I did it all again I would go for AEM even if it was a little more expensive and didn't look as nice.

I have glowshift gauges in my s2000. The wideband gauge is good but I don't really like the boost gauge. If I did it all again I would go for AEM even if it was a little more expensive and didn't look as nice.

The wideband is more important then the boost to me. Just was hoping to match them all up.

Top one water/trans temp. Bottom one volts. Both from GlowShift. Had them for a while now, no issues. I love em.
DSCF1098.jpg

Very impressive install! The color match on the pillar pod is flawless. That is the same color I need to match.

It's duplicolor light grey vinyl and plastic paint. Almost a perfect match. I gave it a base coat of black krylon fusion for insurance.

It's duplicolor light grey vinyl and plastic paint. Almost a perfect match. I gave it a base coat of black krylon fusion for insurance.

Thank you. I was going to ask for the color. I use the black krylon fusion too. Used it an all my exterior trim and just this weekend my center console.
That switch for your trans/water temp gauge...I had seen that before a couple years ago on this forum but as I get older I forget about those things. Can I ask where you got your switch? Might have to juggle the gauges around to make it handy to use.
Not great with wiring either so hopefully this wont be a big issue?
Again thank you for the picture and tips.:thumbsup:

No problem, I got the switch at radio shack. It's just a mini SPDT(single pole double throw). There are 3 contacts on the switch. The center contact goes to the sensor input on the gauge. The 2 outside ones go to the sensors.(i.e. water temp sensor and trans temp sensor) The nice thing is that Glow Shift uses the same sensor for all their temp sensors. All the temp gauges are essentially the same one with different labels. Piece of cake to wire up.

gaugewiring.jpg

No problem, I got the switch at radio shack. It's just a mini SPDT(single pole double throw). There are 3 contacts on the switch. The center contact goes to the sensor input on the gauge. The 2 outside ones go to the sensors.(i.e. water temp sensor and trans temp sensor) The nice thing is that Glow Shift uses the same sensor for all their temp sensors. All the temp gauges are essentially the same one with different labels. Piece of cake to wire up.

gaugewiring.jpg

Found the switch at Radio Shack.
Gauges are still in transit. Should be here Friday.
Had another queation about color matching. I cant find a light grey but there is a medium grey for plastic and vinyl that appears to be very close. That's all I could find on Duplicolor's website anyway.
Another issue I have is matching the black interior color.
I used the Kyrylon Fusion gloss black on my exterior trim and really like the results. Tried it on my center console and I am not to happy. It's much to shiny and shows any and all defects.
Sanded that off and applied a black primer but was wondering what the equivalent stock black color would be so I dont have to paint the whole interior parts the same. Duplicolor does have a a semi gloss.
Would that match?
Not looking to repaint the whole interior.:D

And albi1cnobi1 thank you for all the help.
Another question was is ther any additional parts I need for hooking up the water/trans gauge like you have yours?
Beside wire, any special fittings and such?

This is the set up i'm looking to recreate.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• IM000043Large.jpg
    IM000043Large.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 762

Double checked. It's duplicolor medium grey. No there aren't any special connectors, just a few butt splices, a couple of spade lugs, and a couple of scotch-lock taps for the illumination dimmer wires. You'll need a place to install the trans temp sensor. I installed an external trans filter and the filter mount had a port for the temp sensor. Check out this thread for that. Starts at post #489. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34136&page=25 If you need anything else just let me know. Oh and for the black, i haven't done that yet so I'm no help there.

Double checked. It's duplicolor medium grey. No there aren't any special connectors, just a few butt splices, a couple of spade lugs, and a couple of scotch-lock taps for the illumination dimmer wires. You'll need a place to install the trans temp sensor. I installed an external trans filter and the filter mount had a port for the temp sensor. Check out this thread for that. Starts at post #489. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34136&page=25 If you need anything else just let me know. Oh and for the black, i haven't done that yet so I'm no help there.

I do like the extenal trans flilter mount behind the bumper. One of the few places with any room left.
The black I meant was only for the center console, radio bezel and around the instrument cluster. As well as the steering wheel/column. Not the whole interior if thats what you thought. That is the same gray as yours. Just tryingt to rematch the center console that i messed up.
Noted that the Glowshift gauges are not to hooked up to a dimming circuit.Apparently they dim by 30% in the dark on their own.
I assume thats how you hooked them up.
Did they require you to drill though the firewall or was thier an existing hole to thread the wires through?
Trying not to spend any more money right now but you keep puttin good ideas in my head:D

There is a hole in the firewall where something else went through and I snuck through there. There is a dimmer wire on the gauges, and you're right they don't hook to a dimmer wire in the truck. It hooks to the parking or headlight wire. It senses +12v and dims the gauge when it sees it. Yeah I understood what you meant about the black. I plan on refinishing mine as well but haven't gotten to it yet.

So many sensors on thes engines. Makes it hard to know what is where. Found the oil pressure. I think I know were the water/coolant temp sensor is. The boost and air/fuel I have a handle on.
Jegs must not have your style of fitting anymore. They have a setup for around $100 but it comes with a gauge as well. Not sure if i want to put down that kind of money right now. Looks like I could drill and tap a sensor mounting hole on the Derale model which is much cheaper. Not sure. Oh well ...thanks for all your help. It's much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another issue I have is matching the black interior color.
I used the Kyrylon Fusion gloss black on my exterior trim and really like the results. Tried it on my center console and I am not to happy. It's much to shiny and shows any and all defects.
Sanded that off and applied a black primer but was wondering what the equivalent stock black color would be so I dont have to paint the whole interior parts the same. Duplicolor does have a a semi gloss.
Would that match?
Not looking to repaint the whole interior.:D

I painted mine with Krylon gloss black, then low-gloss clear. It looks very close to the original, without the rubber texture. I've heard Plasti-dip spray is close to stock and will give you the same rubber texture, but I havent tried it yet.

pic ***** time: (Al, you should have seen this coming :D )

DSCF1785.jpg

Back