New Gears???? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

New Gears????

Im planning on puttitng some 32's on my 94 explorer with my 3'' body lift but im wondering if i shuld get new gears i have 3.73's And if i shuld where would i get them and how much are they. i really dont weant to re gear tho please help

nick

rino351

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Golden, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I currently have 32's with 3.27 ratio. It is a DOG off the line and really doesn't have enough power for the trails.
My 4.10 gears should be here by tomorrow. 3.73 should be fine I think, but I will eventually go up in tire size, so I went high(low) on gears.
I got mine from 4Wheel Parts and it cost around $300
I do think that you should be fine with the 3.73
Ryan

DeRocha

NEX Vice President
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Brockton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 4x4
You can get buy with 3.73 gears. But as Ryan wrote 4.10s would be better, but its going to cost ($$) for installation.

Hey Ryan (Rino351) are you putting in your gears yourself?

rino351

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Golden, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Yes, my dad and I will be putting them in ourselves. He is very good with cars.
He completely restored a '69 Mustang Fastback from the ground up, including the engine and transmission and axles.
I wouldn't recommend installing them yourself unless you really know what you are doing-- it is very easy to screw up :)
Ryan

unclemeat

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport
Some things to consider when selecting axle gear ratio. Is the vehicle a daily driver? Is it going to see mostly trails or mostly pavement? Do expect to go to a larger tire size? Do you tow? Do you want to spin the tires? Do you care about fuel econemy?