• Register Today It's free!

New grilles

JarvisB

Reaction score
City, State
Washington, DC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
For some reason, billet grilles does not float my boat any more so I decided to sell it to one of the members here.

So I went ahead and bought speed grilles by street scene. And then I had the grilles shipped to Jon so he can powder coat them mirror black. He finished it yesterday and it looks great!

jarvisgrill001.jpg

jarvisgrill003.jpg

He is shipping it out to me today so should have it in my hands by next week.

I had to order this insert from ebay to put in the lower valence so those speed grilles can go in the lower valence.

I am thinking about finding a way to add a ford emblem in the middle of main grille. I always have liked the idea of emblem on speed grilles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pics of finished install!:D

This is what I plan on doing by summer's end!!! Looking forward to updated pics:D

Very cool. Jon PC'd my Speed Grilles for my 2nd gen last summer and I love the results too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jon is an awesome guy. he gave me a sick deal and he definitely is going to see some more parts coming in from me soon :) He painted my billet grilles as well, it looks good right now still. Just that billets does not float my boat anymore.

and yes I will come back with pics after I install it :) Hopefully I will be able to find a way to install a ford emblem on the main grille.

Just cant wait to go home in March so I can lower my explorer!

Guys--heck
I should have taken more time to get better pictures of those. I had a lot going on, but dangit a clean background would have helped a lot.

I am waiting for the installed pictures, for a bit of personal redemption.

Lol, those pics were good enough to me- As far as I can see there is no error then I am happy. Pretty easy to satisfy me eh? ha

The installed pics are going to turn out good thats for sure :)

I am looking to get the upper only (for now). According to the item description on Street Scenes website "Many Speed Grilles are available in finishes like Black Chrome, Bright Chrome, Polished Stainless, and Brushed Aluminum"
If you could of ordered it in black chrome, wouldnt that be the same effect as powdercoating them black? It looks good though. I would like a black grille and put the ford emblem in the middle of it (like on some F-150s) to complement those black ebay headlights lol. I think that would be an awesome look.

Id like something like that for my 2nd gen, all ive seen like that are pieces that go behind the stock grill in the openings, does anyone know if they make a full replacement grill?

I am looking to get the upper only (for now). According to the item description on Street Scenes website "Many Speed Grilles are available in finishes like Black Chrome, Bright Chrome, Polished Stainless, and Brushed Aluminum"
If you could of ordered it in black chrome, wouldnt that be the same effect as powdercoating them black? It looks good though. I would like a black grille and put the ford emblem in the middle of it (like on some F-150s) to complement those black ebay headlights lol. I think that would be an awesome look.

they said "many" not "all" and explorer is not one of them unfortunately.

and no, black chrome is not same with PC black as black chrome is like tinted chrome while the mirror black I got my grilles powdercoated, they are all black but gives out mirrory gloss.

Those speed grilles are only available in brushed aluminum for our explorers FYI.

Id like something like that for my 2nd gen, all ive seen like that are pieces that go behind the stock grill in the openings, does anyone know if they make a full replacement grill?

im positive there are same grilles made for 2nd gens. just look around. google it up.

they said "many" not "all" and explorer is not one of them unfortunately.

and no, black chrome is not same with PC black as black chrome is like tinted chrome while the mirror black I got my grilles powdercoated, they are all black but gives out mirrory gloss.

Those speed grilles are only available in brushed aluminum for our explorers FYI.

Actually Jarvis, the 2nd gen "Street Scenes Speed Grille" are normally available in brushed aluminum, but there was a "chrome" option available too. Not as common, but I've seen one or two out there on this site and others.

re: putting an emblem on your grille, try something like this.

I scored something similar last summer in Wisconsin for under $20 in a bargain bin. The emblem itself is of much higher quality than OEM. I didn't actually attach mine to the grille, but instead replaced the OEM plastic emblem with it. Looks pretty good actually.

Actually Jarvis, the 2nd gen "Street Scenes Speed Grille" are normally available in brushed aluminum, but there was a "chrome" option available too. Not as common, but I've seen one or two out there on this site and others.
Sorry for not being clear, I meant "our explorers" as in "3rd generation explorer owners" lol

I have only seen brushed aluminum for 3rd gen all over the internet.

Might be different for 2nd gen. Just like you said, there are few chrome for 2nd gen.

re: putting an emblem on your grille, try something like this.

I scored something similar last summer in Wisconsin for under $20 in a bargain bin. The emblem itself is of much higher quality than OEM. I didn't actually attach mine to the grille, but instead replaced the OEM plastic emblem with it. Looks pretty good actually.
Cool. Will keep this in mind. Any chance I could get the emblem off my stock grille? I dont think so but I should ask anyways lol.

update:

received the grilles today and I am in love with it.

BUT I ran into one issue. I need the stock grille to put the speed grille on my x. GRR. so I just ordered a replacement grille from ebay. and then I will have to cut the horizontal and vertical bars off and then install the speed grille insert.

As of now, I got the bumper grille insert installed, and I would say it looks awesome; IMO, it looks more complete especially with the valence insert I got off ebay.. I will try snap a picture tomorrow as it is dark right now and my blackberry isnt going to give you all any good pic in the nighttime.

But for the main grille, I am gonna have to wait until the replacement grille arrives which will be next week I am sure.

down below are some pics of the lower grille, it is kind of hard to pass judgement when it is not done but I really like how the bumper looks though.

IMG00076-20100304-1517-1.jpg

IMG00077-20100304-1517-1.jpg

IMG00075-20100304-1517.jpg

sorry the pics were taken by my blackberry, I will use better camera when it is all done.

Oh man I love it... that looks GOOD!:thumbsup:

Yup, I'm in love. Now I need to plant the money tree and go nuts!!! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very nice. Can't wait to see the full grille installed.

Back