• Register Today It's free!

New Guy Alert!

Kial032

Reaction score
City, State
Felch, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 FPIU Base, 3.7L
Hey all, new here. Just purchased a 2017 FPIU base. Any and all suggestions for upgrades are welcome. What things am I going to have to do to make it more "family friendly" I.E. unlocking doors/windows... I have a key fob on order, and have FORScan and a spreadsheet ready.

I plan on enabling keyless entry, and eventually will be installing a remote start (12voltsolutions), because it's cold as balls up here. I also plan on taking care of the rear hatch auto lock feature. Vehicle wont arrive until the middle of next week, so I'm trying to get a list of things to do so I can try to knock them all out at once.

Things I'm unsure of on these vehicles:
Are the rear doors only controlled by the front door lock buttons?
Do the 2017 Base models come with SYNC? (This one has a 4.2" screen and a rear camera)

Any and all feedback is appreciated. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Many PIU owners have done various mods to their Explorers. Browsing this subforum may be the best way to start and familiarize yourself with the 'Search' feature at the upper right.

Peter

Hey all, new here. Just purchased a 2017 FPIU base. Any and all suggestions for upgrades are welcome. What things am I going to have to do to make it more "family friendly" I.E. unlocking doors/windows... I have a key fob on order, and have FORScan and a spreadsheet ready.

I plan on enabling keyless entry, and eventually will be installing a remote start (12voltsolutions), because it's cold as balls up here. I also plan on taking care of the rear hatch auto lock feature. Vehicle wont arrive until the middle of next week, so I'm trying to get a list of things to do so I can try to knock them all out at once.

Things I'm unsure of on these vehicles:
Are the rear doors only controlled by the front door lock buttons?
Do the 2017 Base models come with SYNC? (This one has a 4.2" screen and a rear camera)

Any and all feedback is appreciated. Thanks

SYNC was a separate option in 2017 (mine had it). Do you have volume and scan controls on your steering wheel and does SYNC come up on your settings menu? If yes, then you have it. Can you clarify what you mean by "rear doors controlled by front lock button"?

SYNC was a separate option in 2017 (mine had it). Do you have volume and scan controls on your steering wheel and does SYNC come up on your settings menu? If yes, then you have it. Can you clarify what you mean by "rear doors controlled by front lock button"?
I'll have to check out the steering controls when it arrives... as for the rear doors, are there unlock and lock buttons on the rear doors, or are they only controlled by the buttons on the front door.

I'll have to check out the steering controls when it arrives... as for the rear doors, are there unlock and lock buttons on the rear doors, or are they only controlled by the buttons on the front door.

There should be buttons back there unless the vehicle was specifically ordered without them. That was also an option as was one to disable rear power window switches. You don't perchance have the VIN, do you?

There should be buttons back there unless the vehicle was specifically ordered without them. That was also an option as was one to disable rear power window switches. You don't perchance have the VIN, do you?
I do. 1FM5K8AR3HGC57437

It appears you DO have SYNC, but also both your rear door locks and rear window switches are disabled. You also have BLIS and reverse sensing both of which were relatively rare options on a vehicle that appears to have been configured as a marked patrol unit. Given the color, I take it it was some sort of a sheriff's unit?

So I see it has the rear power window delete on it, and it has SYNC. I appreciate the help this far.
I'll have to look into getting the rear windows operational again, whether it's through FORScan, or if it's a plug I need to change over.
What is "HID PLUNG W/R HNDL INOPERABLE"

So I see it has the rear power window delete on it, and it has SYNC. I appreciate the help this far.
I'll have to look into getting the rear windows operational again, whether it's through FORScan, or if it's a plug I need to change over.
What is "HID PLUNG W/R HNDL INOPERABLE"
Hidden lock plungers (buttons) with rear door handles (inside) inoperative.

It appears you DO have SYNC, but also both your rear door locks and rear window switches are disabled. You also have BLIS and reverse sensing both of which were relatively rare options on a vehicle that appears to have been configured as a marked patrol unit. Given the color, I take it it was some sort of a sheriff's unit?
I believe it was highway patrol in New Hampshire

Hidden lock plungers (buttons) with rear door handles (inside) inoperative.
So there aren't any buttons back there? Haha this is sounding like it's going to be a pain to get back. Unless they just have some kind of cover over them. I thought I had read there was a plug behind the front seat that either needs to be unplugged, or plugged in to get the buttons to work again.

I see now that it's probably as simple as adjusting the child locks on civilian models to get the inside handles to work.

So there aren't any buttons back there? Haha this is sounding like it's going to be a pain to get back. Unless they just have some kind of cover over them. I thought I had read there was a plug behind the front seat that either needs to be unplugged, or plugged in to get the buttons to work again.
Open your front doors, the buttons are inside the jamb, at the top of the rear door(s), the cables were generally just not hooked up to the rear handle and should be taped inside the door, all our units were delivered that way.

That plug you are referring was in the crown Victoria and that was to disable the rear window switches, the explorer is similar, it has a loop of wire Ford instructs up fitters to cut to disable the rear switch, that wire runs along the drivers side seat under the mat.

Greetings~ I am on the verge of acquiring a 2016 PIU from the Utah govt. fleet at the Capitol and am gathering as many details as I can before I take delivery. I noticed you pulled up a delivery sticker for another PIU model using the VIN. Is there a tool for doing that or do you just have special access to Ford's database ? That would be an awesome bit of info to have when starting this customizing project. I put in many years with Ford and GMC and now it's time to have some fun. Very interested in finding out more.

Cheers ~ David

Welcome David. :wave:
Only your 2nd post in 7+ years. I guess your vehicles don't have a lot of issues.:D
The Window Sticker is usually available when the vehicle has been built but not long after for the majority of owners. My guess is that the member that posted it must have special or paid access to that info. Good luck.

Peter

Thanks, Peter. I will be busy here soon. I worked for Ford and Lincoln dealers for many years in the bayarea and Chicago before that.
Most of the past years I've been restoring and customizing the scarcely seen supercharged Thunderbirds made between 89 & 95. Had six of them during the gold rush and kept only one after 15 years. The 1989 five speed is an amazing machine and was worthy of all the hours of labor and re-design that I and my fellow engineers put into this chassis. I actually posted tons of stuff on the Super Coupe Forum going back to 2003. [sccoa.com]. But parts are nearly impossible to source now with even the aftermarket parts companies dropping the ball on critical components, like crank sensors. So I am just going to hang on to this 1 of 2213 manual trans SC models and drive it on special occasions.

My 2nd gen Explorer survived 236K mi. in the nine years I've owned it. It is still a great looking rig with lots of upgrades, but the 5R55E has finally lost reverse and I see a small stream of coolant oozing out between the head and block on the pass side. I won't junk it, but will try to someone who wants a project to work on. I still drive it, but am careful to park where I don't have to back up :oops:

I want to get going on this '16 PIU. I was hoping to find out what was on the original build sheet for this rig. It was the governor's personal security detail vehicle, so it's a real creampuff. 128K easy miles.
Will invest in some state of art scanners and programming gear for all this CAN technology. My electrical engineerig background will make this a rewarding effort.
Need info on the best cat back pipes for a start. I see there is a ton of good reading here on this site. I hope to contribute lots of tips and solutions as time passes.

Been a Ford guy since my college days first driving a 1966 Galaxie 500 with the guts of a 69 Mach1 stuffed into it ....

cheers ~David

Thanks, Peter. I will be busy here soon. I worked for Ford and Lincoln dealers for many years in the bayarea and Chicago before that.
Most of the past years I've been restoring and customizing the scarcely seen supercharged Thunderbirds made between 89 & 95. Had six of them during the gold rush and kept only one after 15 years. The 1989 five speed is an amazing machine and was worthy of all the hours of labor and re-design that I and my fellow engineers put into this chassis. I actually posted tons of stuff on the Super Coupe Forum going back to 2003. [sccoa.com]. But parts are nearly impossible to source now with even the aftermarket parts companies dropping the ball on critical components, like crank sensors. So I am just going to hang on to this 1 of 2213 manual trans SC models and drive it on special occasions.

My 2nd gen Explorer survived 236K mi. in the nine years I've owned it. It is still a great looking rig with lots of upgrades, but the 5R55E has finally lost reverse and I see a small stream of coolant oozing out between the head and block on the pass side. I won't junk it, but will try to someone who wants a project to work on. I still drive it, but am careful to park where I don't have to back up :oops:

I want to get going on this '16 PIU. I was hoping to find out what was on the original build sheet for this rig. It was the governor's personal security detail vehicle, so it's a real creampuff. 128K easy miles.
Will invest in some state of art scanners and programming gear for all this CAN technology. My electrical engineerig background will make this a rewarding effort.
Need info on the best cat back pipes for a start. I see there is a ton of good reading here on this site. I hope to contribute lots of tips and solutions as time passes.

Been a Ford guy since my college days first driving a 1966 Galaxie 500 with the guts of a 69 Mach1 stuffed into it ....

cheers ~David
Let's have your VIN, I'll see what I can do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back