new guy - contemplating '16 Platinum or '13 CPO Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new guy - contemplating '16 Platinum or '13 CPO Sport

Toadster

Reaction score
City, State
Folsom, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 E55 AMG
Hey guys - long time Explorer fan, first time buyer...

looking for an upgrade in years and downsize a bit in size coming from our 2001 Denali XL

new Platinum Explorers X-Plan are ~$50k
CPO 2013 Sports are ~$37k

Obviously there's the interior difference between the two modes, and the 2016 has the refreshing facelift on the outside, but I'm ok with the '13 Sport look as well...

both same motors which will hopefully hold a candle to the 6.0L LQ4 motor in the Denali @ 340HP

we're tired of 12MPG all day long - and hoping to come to the TT 3.5 darkside :)

what other things may we me missing by choosing one or the other? (other than $13k off the top!) LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looking for an upgrade in years and downsize a bit in size coming from our 2001 Denali XL

Obviously there's the interior difference between the two modes, and the 2016 has the refreshing facelift on the outside, but I'm ok with the '13 Sport look as well...

both same motors which will hopefully hold a candle to the 6.0L LQ4 motor in the Denali @ 340HP

we're tired of 12MPG all day long - and hoping to come to the TT 3.5 darkside :)

what other things may we me missing by choosing one or the other? (other than $13k off the top!) LOL

These options aren't available on the sport model for 2013 (according to brochure):
active park assist- may or may not being worth it
lane keeping assist - pretty cool but I could live without it
hid headlamps auto high beams - 2016 has LED lights and the auto high beam is great on paper but isn't perfect. After seeing the LED lights on a 2016 I would go for those in a heart beat.
rain sensing wipers - I love this option.

Now if you really want to be a badass you could buy a 2013 and do a front end swap and replace the grille, bumper, fenders, and headlights to give it a 2016 look.

Don't forget the massaging front seats.

Get the 2013 and in a year or 2 you can upgrade if you like it, if not you can go back to GM.

Don't forget the massaging front seats.

I checked them out in the MKZ. They were a little firmer than the standard seats, less comfortable when not using the massaging feature. Go check them out yourself, but do not assume they will be as good or better than the standard seats.

These options aren't available on the sport model for 2013 (according to brochure):
active park assist- may or may not being worth it
lane keeping assist - pretty cool but I could live without it
hid headlamps auto high beams - 2016 has LED lights and the auto high beam is great on paper but isn't perfect. After seeing the LED lights on a 2016 I would go for those in a heart beat.
rain sensing wipers - I love this option.

Now if you really want to be a badass you could buy a 2013 and do a front end swap and replace the grille, bumper, fenders, and headlights to give it a 2016 look.

lots of newer safety features each year, they're good (and inevitable over time) - active park assist would be cool to try out though

a front end swap would be pretty pricey - I can imagine the LED headlights alone are spendy just on their own :)

So just keep in mind that the Sport was introduced halfway through 2013 and it was the first year of production for the Sport model.

Many have had no issues but some have had lots with the first year of the Sport.

Even my 14 Sport has had some issues that I thought were resolved in 2013.

I had to turn in my 2011 first year production Explorer using Lemon Law and get a 2013 Limited that had fewer issues.

Not to say you will have issues but be careful, know EXACTLY what you're buying. Run the VIN, get build date, make sure it was not early production.

Then read the TSB Thread on this forum and go through it so you can check the used Sport out.

So just keep in mind that the Sport was introduced halfway through 2013 and it was the first year of production for the Sport model.

Many have had no issues but some have had lots with the first year of the Sport.

Even my 14 Sport has had some issues that I thought were resolved in 2013.

I had to turn in my 2011 first year production Explorer using Lemon Law and get a 2013 Limited that had fewer issues.

Not to say you will have issues but be careful, know EXACTLY what you're buying. Run the VIN, get build date, make sure it was not early production.

Then read the TSB Thread on this forum and go through it so you can check the used Sport out.

yep - the ones I'm looking at are CPO from a dealer, so they should be gone over decently well... also would do an extended warranty on any CPO

yep - the ones I'm looking at are CPO from a dealer, so they should be gone over decently well... also would do an extended warranty on any CPO

It would be nice if you could count on it being CPO to cover all the issues everyone has been having. I bought my 2012 as a CPO and in the year and half I've had it, I've had issues with:

1. Dragging rear brakes causing premature pad and rotor wear (the dealer would not cover) which there is a thread for here.

2. Stabilizer end link went bad (was repaired under warranty) which there is a thread for on here.

3. Driver seat base cover cracking (was repaired under warranty) which there is a thread for on here.

4. I now am experiencing the "Shift to Park" message that many have complained about on here, so I expect I will be changing the shifter mechanism soon.

Don't get me wrong, it really is a nice SUV to own and drive despite the issue I've dealt with, just saying, don't think the CPO is going to make things trouble free for you down the road.

The CPO is only as good as the person inspecting it. Yes you get a limited 1yr/12k bumper to bumper but there are many things that are not covered. IF you don't spot them prior to purchasing, you will have no leg to stand on if it falls outside the CPO.

There have been several instances where owners have found things wrong that were not covered unlike a new vehicle bumper to bumper.

Just be careful and inspect thoroughly.

Also, check out the spare tire well for signs of rust or moisture. Water leaks are not covered and hate to have you find this out after the purchase if you go with the 2013.

If you're coming from a Denali and you got the money for it, I personally would have gone for the Platinum to be comparable in luxury.

Depends on if you're going to buy it or lease it too. If you're buying it and driving it for a long time, I think the Platinum would be much more livable with the softer suspension, and the smaller steering ratio. You would also break in the engine how you want to as well.

Plus, if you're a huge tech fan like me, the smart charging USB ports on the 2016 allows for much more amperage so you can charge an iPad or iPhone (any smartphone really) fast (2000 mA). The amperage on 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer USB ports are low and you'll barely get a charge out of them (500 mA only).

Positives about the Sport is that it has a tighter suspension but if there a lot of potholes in your area, you'll regret that.

Small details like the 2016 has the horn position moved to the top of the grill so the sound gets out better. 2016 has real buttons for controls (2013 Sport has capacitive touch, I personally liked it). 2016 has old style turn signal lever (1 step) vs the 2 step turn signal lever they have in the 2013.

The CPO is only as good as the person inspecting it. Yes you get a limited 1yr/12k bumper to bumper but there are many things that are not covered. IF you don't spot them prior to purchasing, you will have no leg to stand on if it falls outside the CPO.

There have been several instances where owners have found things wrong that were not covered unlike a new vehicle bumper to bumper.

Just be careful and inspect thoroughly.

Also, check out the spare tire well for signs of rust or moisture. Water leaks are not covered and hate to have you find this out after the purchase if you go with the 2013.
CPO honestly means nothing to me, have had plenty of friends buy "CPO'd" BMWs, Porsches, Benz etc... that ended up having issue after issue after issue most of which is not covered under the limited warranties given.

went and checked out the '16 Platinums tonight, no test drive just checking the space, size, options - overall very impressed with the build quality :)

now to figure out potential colors :)

In a. choice of a brand new Explorer or a 3 year old one, it's a no brainer. New all the way.

Back