New Guy Here!!! '08 Explorer V6 Limited 4WD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Guy Here!!! '08 Explorer V6 Limited 4WD

Itchy33

Reaction score
City, State
Richfield, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer Limited V6
Like the title says. Bought her a year ago with 130k and a few issues. Have most of them sorted out except a driveline whirring that starts at 30mph. looking forward to sharing what knowledge I've acquired and look forward to learning some things from you all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've replaced the serp belt tensioner but nothing with the timing chain. The noise seems driveline related because it's speed dependent and not engine RPM dependent.

Yes it is 4WD.

So far I've replaced both front hubs with OEM.

Right now, I've got the front driveshaft out to replace the u-joint but I can't get it back in properly. The roller ball-bearing that is at the connection of the driveshaft and the transfer case is giving me a hard time. It must have to go in a certain way because when I put it back together I was getting a popping sound(Only drove it a few blocks and removed again). I'm thinking I have to flip it around the other way, but now I don't know what way I had it in because the whole damn thing is covered in grease and fell apart when I pulled it back out.

Even so, that u-joint wasn't the culprit because the whirring is there even without the driveshaft in.

I will be doing more research on this site to see what other tests I can do as it relates to the front axle/diff because that seems to be where the noise is emanating from.

Thanks BrooklynBay, I will look into that as I search this site that I'm sure is a wealth of knowledge.

Welcome. There is also a possibly that it be a rear axle bearing.

Welcome. There is also a possibly that it be a rear axle bearing.

It turned out to be the rear passenger wheel bearing. I had been making attempts to get rid of that rumble for 8 months and finally the fourth and final wheel bearing was the one- go figure. Two mechanics and myself were 100% convinced that the noise was coming from the front. I plan to do a separate post outlining the battle for others who are struggling in a similar situation.

Back