New guy here with a bagged 1st gen and lots of pics | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New guy here with a bagged 1st gen and lots of pics

Xplowdr

Reaction score
City, State
Lawton Ok
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 bagged 4dr
Well I picked this thing up off an old member on here(racinjason68). Its a bagged and shaved 1st gen 4 door. When I bought it the rear was not bagged and there was a gaping hole in the rear for the notch. I have since bagged the back with a triangulated 4-link with bag on upper bar. The floor has been closed in and im in the process of undercoating it. The x rides on some chrome 20inch American Racing wheels with 255/35/20 rubber. The whole x has been shaved except for the key hole in the drivers door( in case the popper fails or battery dies) All 4 door handles have been shaved the everything off of the rear hatch, the corners have also been radiused. The previous owner hand built the roll pan and side shavers and also installed some caddy lights. The wiper cowl is also shaved as well as the stock antenna(has power antenna frenched in). X has 4 wheel disc brakes. Cowl hood, billet grill and diamond cut headlights. I'm sure that I'm leaving some stuff out.
This is my 3rd X and I've also had 3 rangers. My first x was a bagged 91 four door(never should have sold it). My second X was the ever so elusive 2 door 2wd first gen. My ranger have been an 89 single cab, 92 ext cab, and a bagged 93 single cab.
I live in Oklahoma and am a member of Vertically Challenged car club.
0406101950-00.jpg

0406101951-01.jpg

0406102115-00.jpg

0406102115-01.jpg

0406102115-02.jpg

0331102258-00.jpg

0406101951-00-1.jpg

0327101357-00.jpg

0327101357-02.jpg

0327101357-01.jpg

0327100952-00.jpg

0327101356-00.jpg

0319102145-00.jpg

0315101630-00.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow! I see you did a lot of nice welding :) I like those wheels too!!

you make that hood?

you make that hood?

nope, it was on the X when I bought it. The previous owner said that it was made to order and was like $640 bucks.(500 for the hood and 140 for shipping)

Wow! I see you did a lot of nice welding :) I like those wheels too!!

I wish that I could weld. I had a buddy of mine fab up the rear floor and weld it in. We just got done undercoating the bottom and we did the "do it yourself" truck bed coating(line-x) on the inside.

I scored the wheels for $500 off of Craigslist. They were on an 05 mustang.

And in case anybody is wondering. The hole in the top of new floor is an access panel for the relocated stock fuel tank sender/pump.

Wow, I can't believe he let it go! Does he still have the other two? I think it was two other explorers, a red first gen and a blue second gen if memory serves. How is his daughter?

I dont care for the rear end with those caddy lights, however amazing work, I love the front end, reminds me of my 92.

Quick question though you said the drivers door lock isnt shaved, in case the popper fails, but all the handles are shaved...How would you open it? lol maybe im just retarted, very nice ride though:thumbsup:

hell yeah man. all my buddys have bagged rangers and bagged s-10's. never thought id see a bagged 1st gen X. makes me want to change my mind about liftin mine and just tear mine apart now and lower and bag it.

is yurs bodydroped or just taht damn low. f-in sweet tho

welcome and nice x u got there

I dont care for the rear end with those caddy lights, however amazing work, I love the front end, reminds me of my 92.

Quick question though you said the drivers door lock isnt shaved, in case the popper fails, but all the handles are shaved...How would you open it? lol maybe im just retarted, very nice ride though:thumbsup:

everyone is entitled to their opinions about it. I like it and that's all that really matters to me.

As far as the key hole. You attatch a rod from the lock mechanism to the door latch release. So when you turn the key in the door it pulls on the latch and opens the door.

hell yeah man. all my buddys have bagged rangers and bagged s-10's. never thought id see a bagged 1st gen X. makes me want to change my mind about liftin mine and just tear mine apart now and lower and bag it.

is yurs bodydroped or just taht damn low. f-in sweet tho

Its not body dropped, just laying frame front to back. It is probably gonna go a little lower once I swap out the tranny cross member for the raised one. That and when I drag off the rest of the stock leaf spring perches.

yeah man good work. keep us all posted about the progress. cant wait to see the whole thing done. what color are you going to go with? only looks like a guide coat for now. cant wait to see it done. great build

Here are some new pics for everyone. I got the new rear floor coated and carpeted. I got my new air tank and compressor setup in and working. I got my rear seats installed. Also established a good ride height down the highway.

0427101947-00.jpg

0427101947-01.jpg

The blue color that the tank is painted is the color that I will be painting the entire X. The rear seats are two of the smaller stock rear seats. It did take some heavy modifications to make this work. I will be building a fiberglass console from the dash to just behind the rear seats.

0427101842-00.jpg

This is how low that I roll down the highway. 45psi in the front and 40 in the rear.

Could you post a close up picture of the hydraulic set up (shocks, lines, compressor, valves, air gauge, etc)? I saw the pump & tank in the above picture, but I can't see what the label says on the compressor. It looks like there are 2 compressors.

hey man I love your explorer ..... only one question you have installed a ranger crosmember and djm dream beams? because I will convert to 2wd my truck and is a bit difficult to find a 2wd explorer and I have seen several ranger in the junkyard ... what other ranger parts are installed on it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back