New Guy Here | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Guy Here

Black92LX

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
I just picked up a 2003 XLT with 73,000 miles. I got rid of my 2001 Audi A4 Quattro for it.
And all I can say is man I am glad I made the switch.
I have been a Ford guy since I got my first car a 1992 Ford Mustang, also have a 1996 Mustang GT (gets most of my attention), and a 1931 Model A.
So I am no stranger to the Ford family.
Don't really plan on doing much modifying as it is my main personal vehicle, and honestly I prefer the go fast parts for the Mustang. A Supercharger install is next on the list for her next winter. My daily driver is a company car (which happens to be a Ford)so the Explorer will get about 250 miles a months, unless I travel.
So far from doing some reading on here plans for the Explorer are:
Tow Hooks (just need to get to the junkyard)
I just got done reading thru the coilsprings.com thread. Thinking about going with the smallest lift possible to accommodate the largest tires possible on the stock wheels. And I figure while I am in there I will go ahead and replace the shocks and struts with some Bilsteins.
Then I will be doing a custom Mac Mini Computer install.

So far all I have added is a Remington Pet Barrier. So my German Shepherd and Pitbull can have their spot in the back.
I also removed all my headlights and taillights and resealed them since I had a little condensation after I washed the car.

Looking forward to reading and asking a few questions from you folks!

First thing I haven't been able to figure out is what size bulb is used in the outside mirror courtesy lights?? I would like to get some LEDs in there for a little more light output.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome 2 the forum and congrads on ur 03 xlt u got pics of it

Welcome to the forum.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think Bilstein made shocks for the Gen III Explorer?

Welcome to the forum.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think Bilstein made shocks for the Gen III Explorer?

Looks like you are correct. I hadn't gone over their entire application guide yet.
Guess I will e-mail them to see if they are in development.
Would hate to have to go with someone other than Bilstein.

As for pics I'll get some up if it ever stops raining here.

Monroe makes a couple nice shocks for these. The Sensa-Trac, and the Reflex. The Reflex series are a little "tighter" than the Sensa-Tracs, and will probably ride more like a Bilstein shock.

I wish KYB made some for these...I like them very much too.
(Edit: I just checked at Carquest, and KYB does make rear shocks for the Gen III, but nothing listed for the fronts....Yet.)

These shocks do seem to last a good long while though...My OEMs are still performing just fine at close to 100,000 miles.

Welcome

I don't know if Bilstein will ever make struts for the X but you do have a few options. KYB GR2, Rancho RSX 1700, Sensatrac, if you want a lift (2"ish) Rancho Quick Lift.

I went with the RSX and am very happy, it was down to them or GR2. I have the KYBs on my S80 and really like them but have the RSX on the F150 and really like them too.

On an 03 you have more options then if you had an 04/05 I don't know what the difference is with the front but there must have been a change but the rears are the same 02-05.

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/index.cfm?mode=results&selected_model=3991&selected_year=2003

My '04 sales brochure mentioned a re-tuned suspension. Might have something to do with it?

Back