New guy looking for Part numbers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New guy looking for Part numbers

LSUPIU

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer PIU
Hey all,

I just scooped up my first PIU its a 2014 with fairly low mileage (46k) and a clean carfax. So I'm pretty happy with it. I have been lurking for a few weeks and this forum has been very helpful. Thanks to you guys I am well on my way to upfitting (that's the correct term right?) so far I have the following: Hood switch, new key fobs, aftermarket backup camera, center console out of a XLT, and a few other small trinkets I wanted to add like a USB outlet in place of one of the 12v outlets on the dash etc. I am also probably going to buy the OEM center console panel to replace that hole where the shifter is. A few questions though mainly related to the center console which seems to be a popular topic around here.

1)In the console there is a media box that has a 12v ,an SD card slot, and video inputs, by in I mean under the spring loaded cover where the change goes. I obviously cant use these. Is there a replacement piece I can order that will allow a 110v outlet, 12v, or even a USB charging port?

2) on the back part of the console where the rear AC controls are I would like to replace that trim piece with ..you guessed it more outlets. Hss anyone tried this? What part number trim piece did you use?

3) What are you guys doing for overhead consoles? I don't have a garage door or anything like that so for me it would just be storage. I don't care if its OEM or not.

4) Anyone tried a throttle body spacer? Results?

5) On the dash where the the AUX input normally is I have a blank trim piece. Ive found the factory piece that contains a USB opening and AUX opening . Any idea with regards to part numbers for the actual USB and AUX ports and associated wiring?

Thanks in advance. I'll post progress pictures next week.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Here is a site that I use most of the time to find parts and numbers. You can select many Ford vehicles. There are also other sites but I find that one the handiest for OEM parts. There is also a handy 'Search' feature you can use to find existing threads/post. Familiarizing yourself to get the proper Search results can take a bit of getting used to. Good luck.

Peter

To get Aux and USB inputs, you'll need more than a couple of pigtails. Your PIU almost certainly doesn't have SYNC if you have the blank, and SYNC involves a different under-dash wiring harness and a number of additional modules, including the ACIM at the center. Without it, there's nothing to plug the inputs in to. You'd probably be better off picking-up some USB charging ports from a radio console manufacturer, and install them into the blank faceplate.

To get Aux and USB inputs, you'll need more than a couple of pigtails. Your PIU almost certainly doesn't have SYNC if you have the blank, and SYNC involves a different under-dash wiring harness and a number of additional modules, including the ACIM at the center. Without it, there's nothing to plug the inputs in to. You'd probably be better off picking-up some USB charging ports from a radio console manufacturer, and install them into the blank faceplate.

I probably should have clarified. I don't want the USB inputs to do anything other than charge .I already have the aux input for audio. It's a simple panel replacement and then running it to the head unit. After that its a simple thing to get the dealer to turn it on. The part I am having questions about are all the inputs that are inside the console where the coins would go. I am wondering if there is a replacement that has more charging ports and none of the extra inputs I can't use. That way I can turn that into usable space.

Any blanks you can locate would be your best bets for getting more charging ports, something like this would fit nicely: Havis Products | C-USB-2 Dual USB Charge Module

That list price from Havis is the sucker price, you can get almost all their stuff at around half their list prices from resellers, and it might be even more inexpensive to find that particular charging port from a Kussmaul reseller rather than Havis.

Any blanks you can locate would be your best bets for getting more charging ports, something like this would fit nicely: Havis Products | C-USB-2 Dual USB Charge Module

That list price from Havis is the sucker price, you can get almost all their stuff at around half their list prices from resellers, and it might be even more inexpensive to find that particular charging port from a Kussmaul reseller rather than Havis.

Awesome. And this will replace that panel where the SD card slot and all that jazz is? If so this is exactly what I needed. Thank you.

I don't know the dimensions on it, I think it's likely that it's smaller than the faceplate, in which case you'd have to use a Dremel type rotary tool to cut a window in the faceplate.

I don't know the dimensions on it, I think it's likely that it's smaller than the faceplate, in which case you'd have to use a Dremel type rotary tool to cut a window in the faceplate.

Roger. I think I can make it work. Thanks!

I know the plate on your front facia has a blank in it that I used in place of plate with aux and usb on it on the console I purchased.

Back