New guy needs some help: 331 vs 351? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New guy needs some help: 331 vs 351?

Well guys I'm 19 & just picked up a 98 expo 2wd 4door. I'm the second owner, has 218k & all major maintenance done. What a buy...Anyway I plan to build a prerunner out of it.
I had a jeep xj previous to this & we built in into a jeepspeed, straight axle prerunner. Did good but I want something that has IFS & the expo is it. Anyway we built the tired 4.0 into a long rod 4.6L stroker. It was a torque monster & had a powerband from 800-4700rpm.
With the build will come 33x12.5's & a full cage front-rear. Truck has 4.10's but I may regear to 4.56's incase I go 35's later! The truck will not be lightweight at all, probably close to 5500+-lbs.
So I was thinking why not stroke it a little, then I saw that some people swapped in a 351. I'm curious about both, what kind of issues will I run into with a 351 swap into a 2wd expo? And if I don't go that route, can someone help me get a build list together for a 331. I plan to run on 87oct either way and am hoping for a powerband of 500-5500rpm! The motors got to keep me going 65-80mph through silt, sand & whoops!

So which would be better, swap a 351 or stroke to 331?
What all is required to swap the 351 into a 2wd expo?
If I choose to do the stroker, can you guys help me put a parts list together that will suit my needs?
Please help out the new guy lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

5.8L vs 331 stroker

A 5.8L will require using the Explorer 5.0L front dress, custom exhaust, custom oil pan, custom harmonic balancer with trigger wheel, custom synchronizer, and modified motor mounts. Because the 5.8L deck height is greater than the 5.0L there will be little clearance between the valve covers and the firewall.

A 331 stroker kit will be set up for the Mustang external balance. If you use an Explorer engine then you'll need a Mustang flexplate and a custom harmonic balancer with trigger wheel.

From what I understand the 351w is heavier by 75-100lbs, has a taller deck height & is a little wider. So some issues may occur when trying to install it into a explorer. I don't like the fact of adding even more weight, especially up front but I do like the fact that it makes power where I want it & will move the weight easier!

The 331 is lighter & a perfect fit but alot of people claim it feels sluggish below 3500-ish rpms & needs to be revved to 6000+rpm to make any real power. I see the dyno graphs for these motors & torque peak is usually around 4200-4500rpm, but that depends on the cam & such.
I don't want to rev past 5500rpm so maybe the bigger block is better for me? Unless there is a torque type of cam.

I was thinking maybe run a 331 stoker & run a torque cam? The engine will be run in a daily driver so it needs torque down low & will spend most of its time at 3800-5000rpm. I'd perfer the stroker but wouldn't mind doing the 351.

My expo already has a 5.0..but what else does it take to have a 331 in a expo?
Is there anything needed for a 306?

I may do a 306, with HCIE

Why not a 347 stroker? It's been done.

There are a lot of write-ups on here about 5.0 performance mods and builds. IIRC turdle did a write up on his 347 stroker build.

347 is too big for me, the biggest I'd go is a 331.

Any links for those write ups, maybe links to a 331/347 build? I'm searching the site, just new & learning!

Get in touch with a guy that goes by the name of TMsoko on this board. He was working on doing a 351W into his Ranger or Explorer a while ago and probably would have some good gouge. I would personally do the 351W swap but then again what route you go depends on what sort of work you can do in your own shop. If you can custom make some parts yourself, are handy with a metal bandsaw, a MIG welder and so on then perhaps the 351W swap is within your ability. Speaking from pure performance you will have quite a bit more power/torque making ability with the 351W due to it having almost 50 more cubes than a 302. Also the bigger engine will tend to "swallow" a bigger cam which means that you can run a more aggressive one without it lumping around all over the place and having idle or surge issues. 331 is not as hard to do as the 351W but it will probably be more expensive because you aren't going to find 331's in the junkyard. 351's can be found and in great shape while used; and for dirt cheap too! I guess it depends on how much time you want to invest and how serious you will get with the truck.

My expo already has a 5.0..but what else does it take to have a 331 in a expo?
Is there anything needed for a 306?

I may do a 306, with HCIE
306 is just a bored 302....

Any links for those write ups, maybe links to a 331/347 build? I'm searching the site, just new & learning!

If your going to stroke it, youll get alot more out of the 331. The only difference between the 331 and the 347 is the bore... You leave more material with the 331 hence more strength and durability....
FOR ALL YOUR BUILDUPS for the 331/347 hit up the mustang websites!!!! They are ALL over the place!!! Countless ways to do it.

But for cost- dropping a 351 windsor would be the easiest. If you choose to go 351, keep your eyes out for the "football" rods. These are the stoutest of stock 351s. But if your planning to rebuild with new internals-Stroke it!

Noticed in the 3rd post you said a daily driver and you are in CA. Interesting, how will you register a 351? Personally, for off-road use Id go with the 351 but the stroker will be easier to get past inspection in licensed for street use.

PS- Here is a quick buildup for either the 331/347- ITs the same 302 block for them. Stay forged over hyper pistons....
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2002/04/331/
Here is some info on stroking a 351
http://www.alternativeauto.com/waterbox/wb_archives/351W_strokers.html
and some 351w info
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/367882-351w-fox.html
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/692838-351w-build-what-reuse.html
The big think is when using the stock rods and what not with the 351 windsor, is the football rods (these things are quite tuff). Again, youll get more durability out of a 351w or 302 stock engine vs the stresses of a stroker.

All in all, have fun and if you need any more help feel free to message me.

bore & stroke

If your going to stroke it, youll get alot more out of the 331. The only difference between the 331 and the 347 is the bore... You leave more material with the 331 hence more strength and durability....

cu in. bore stroke
302 4.00 3.00
331 4.00 3.235
347 4.030 3.400
351 4.00 3.500

The rod length is different for all of the above

still statement holds true.. :) I was getting it crossed with the 302/306 difference.

Do a stroked 351W. You can pack as much as 482 inches inside a windsor block!

don't understand the hangup with limiting your stroker to 331, but if your really want a 351w, its doable, but not for the average joe. requires lots of time, fabrication skills or tons of money to have it done professionally. the level of difficulty varies, depending upon what your intentions are for your vehicle. for example: going 2 wheel drive makes the oil pan and driver side exhaust a bit easier. going without a/c eliminates the need for custom lines and you can remove the a/c box, which gains clearance to get to the spark plugs and valvecover.

do some searching. there's plenty of info out there to make a well informed decision.

Um, a 351 is larger yet. :rolleyes:

Build a 331. It will save you a lot of time over trying to install a 351w and will make plenty of horsepower and torque. Hyperutectic pistons are fine in a naturally aspirated engine so if you're on a tight budget look at them. If you want to run 87 you're going to need to keep the compression below 9:1. Running the truck under load for a while in deep sand and silt builds a lot of heat in the combustion chambers.

For a little over a grand you could pick up a CHP stroker kit with forged pistons. Go with the -20.1cc dished pistons if you want to run 87 or the -14.2 if you don't mind running 91 when you take it in the dirt. With a good valve job and the right cam you can make a nice 300-320 horsepower engine that will last a long time.

Back