• Register Today It's free!

New guy new car new problems. ugh

Mxracer532

Reaction score
City, State
kennewick, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
New guy here, just traded in our murano for a 2012 Limited Explorer with 24k and got some issues already. Will post in diff area also but upon take off it has a really weird wobble/shake that goes through the drive train that goes away after about 20mph. Also had loud pop/bang while making right hand turn and accelerating. I hope this wasnt a 35k mistake buying this rig.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The occasional "waddle" during acceleration from a stop thru 20 MPH is normal on the 4WD models. I believe it's attributed to power transfer to the real wheels thru the PTU. You can search the threads for further explanation.

The occasional "waddle" during acceleration from a stop thru 20 MPH is normal on the 4WD models. I believe it's attributed to power transfer to the real wheels thru the PTU.

Is this just while in 4WD?

Also, these models are FWD when not in 4WD, correct (vs. RWD like you'd see in trucks)?

Technically, these vehicles are AWD. There is no selection for 2WD vs 4WD. They are FWD biased under normal conditions. The system automatically transfers power to the rear wheels in a variety of conditions by measuring acceleration, wheel slip, and based on the setting you have selected.

The occasional "waddle" during acceleration from a stop thru 20 MPH is normal on the 4WD models. I believe it's attributed to power transfer to the real wheels thru the PTU. You can search the threads for further explanation.

I have read that before but also seen where guys had both drive axles replaced and helped the problem. Also I have drove several others through our search for the right Explorer that did not have the wobble. (They also were 4wd). Now what about the clunk it made while turning right and accelerating??

New guy here, just traded in our murano for a 2012 Limited Explorer with 24k and got some issues already. Will post in diff area also but upon take off it has a really weird wobble/shake that goes through the drive train that goes away after about 20mph. Also had loud pop/bang while making right hand turn and accelerating. I hope this wasnt a 35k mistake buying this rig.

I have a two month old 2011 I bought with 31k on it. Don't have these problems. Sounds like your Ex may have some suspension/steering issues that one would not expect at your low miles. I'd look into that pop while turning as the source for the wobble/shake. Ball joint? Power steering linkage - rack or gearbox? I'd get it looked at. Power steering came to mind since you said it only happens at slow speeds. Ball joint also comes to mind.

Technically, these vehicles are AWD. There is no selection for 2WD vs 4WD. They are FWD biased under normal conditions. The system automatically transfers power to the rear wheels in a variety of conditions by measuring acceleration, wheel slip, and based on the setting you have selected.

So even if you have it set to the sand setting, lets say, it will only activate the back wheels if it senses the need to?

Don't know about a pulling a boat out, but I wonder if the sand mode is even needed on the beach. I would expect "normal" mode would be fine with tires aired down. I have an Escape that does not have anything but regular AWD that is front wheel until needed, and it is great on the beach. Also lighter than the Ex, which helps. I have a feeling the Escape will be better on the beach even without these modes on the Ex since it is so much lighter and more so rolls over the sand with aired down tires. Will find out in May. I have seen Ex's driving on the beach no prob, just curious how it compares to my Escape. Will report on how the different modes work in sand and mud come May.

I have a two month old 2011 I bought with 31k on it. Don't have these problems. Sounds like your Ex may have some suspension/steering issues that one would not expect at your low miles. I'd look into that pop while turning as the source for the wobble/shake. Ball joint? Power steering linkage - rack or gearbox? I'd get it looked at. Power steering came to mind since you said it only happens at slow speeds. Ball joint also comes to mind.

I believe I may have experienced that "pop bang" when turning right and left. I did bring it up and the service techs attributed this to aggressive driving. Who knowsss...I am trying to replicate and see what happens

When you experience this does your traction control light flash on your dash?

I do not drive my Ex fast or aggressively. My Saab is another story. Just had a cop give me a huge break lowering a speeding ticket below the insurance points threshold.

Thus, with the Ex and mellow driving I have only had the TC light flash in snow. Never in rain or dry conditions.

I do not drive my Ex fast or aggressively. My Saab is another story. Just had a cop give me a huge break lowering a speeding ticket below the insurance points threshold.

Thus, with the Ex and mellow driving I have only had the TC light flash in snow. Never in rain or dry conditions.

Bring it up to your service dept and see if they come back with the following codes

C1B00
U0415

http://www.justanswer.com/ford/565x2-ford-explorer-limited-terrain-system-fault-lights-abs.html

I believe I may have experienced that "pop bang" when turning right and left. I did bring it up and the service techs attributed this to aggressive driving. Who knowsss...I am trying to replicate and see what happens

No, no lights come on at all.
I dont understand how some people say the shimmy/wobble is normal yet sooo many others say they have no issues like with theirs so how is it normal??

No, no lights come on at all.
I dont understand how some people say the shimmy/wobble is normal yet sooo many others say they have no issues like with theirs so how is it normal??

A shimmy or wobble accelerating is not normal, unless it is barely noticeable - and I really don't notice one. I went with the assumption yours was relatively noticeable at the slow speeds you mentioned. I would actually expect more of a "normal" wobble (and not much of one) at higher speeds. Heck, a strong and persistent crosswind can cause your car to wobble on the highway.

All I can suggest outside of what I mentioned as possible causes if having your Ex looked at.

A shimmy/wobble is not normal, thats something that should be checked out by the dealer. I test drove a couple explorers, granted they were newer and had less miles before i purchased a new sport, but don't have the problem with mine.
also contributing that to aggressive driving is a load of sh..

I drive my explorer fairly hard sometimes and it is great. No problems with towing two jetskis either.

A shimmy/wobble is not normal, thats something that should be checked out by the dealer. I test drove a couple explorers, granted they were newer and had less miles before i purchased a new sport, but don't have the problem with mine.
also contributing that to aggressive driving is a load of sh..

I drive my explorer fairly hard sometimes and it is great. No problems with towing two jetskis either.

I agree, you should have no wobble or shimmy at any speed and regardless of how you drive it.

If you are speaking of the occasional wobble/waddle/vibration from dead stop thru 20 MPH on 4WD Ex's felt through the seat/floor, not so much in the steering wheel, here are a few threads. I can't find the thread (it's on here somewhere), where it was determined to be the PTU transferring power to the rear wheels on acceleration causing the "waddle". No one has indicated a fix.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319681&highlight=waddle

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358418&page=4&highlight=waddle

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324050&highlight=shimmy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New guy here, just traded in our murano for a 2012 Limited Explorer with 24k and got some issues already...

Have you returned to the dealership so they can inspect, Mxracer532? Let me know what you hear and I'll do what I can to help, if needed. Following your appointment, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Back