• Register Today It's free!

New Guy with ?? on HID kits

FEARLE5S

Reaction score
City, State
Chandler az
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited Eco
Hey guys new to the forum had a couple of questions.

For all you guys buying HID kits are you getting them dual beam or just single beam? Ive been looking around and cant really find any kit that will do the dual beam and is an HB3 kit. are you using 9006 kits? if so any kit you would recommend? thanks everyone been getting on here since we got our explorer just decided to sign up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 9005 bulb only has one filament, no high/low beam. The high beams are activated when a flap in the projector housing moves and allows the light to cover a much bigger area. I have the same kit posted above and the low beams and high beams are more than bright enough.

thanks guys. i was researching but wasnt sure if the kits everyone was talking about were bi-xolon kits or just regular kits. thanks for the replys guys.

We have a 9006 kit that's a dual purpose low/high beam bulb. 1 bulb does both. We got our kit from coolbulbs.com

Sorry it's the 9005 kit not 9006!

Hey guys new to the forum had a couple of questions.

For all you guys buying HID kits are you getting them dual beam or just single beam? Ive been looking around and cant really find any kit that will do the dual beam and is an HB3 kit. are you using 9006 kits? if so any kit you would recommend? thanks everyone been getting on here since we got our explorer just decided to sign up.
Welcome to the Forum FEARLESS.:wavey:
Whichever kit you decide upon, remember that the higher the "k" (Kelvin) number is, the less light it puts out. The number 4300k HID's are as close to actual daylight as you can get. As that number goes up, the light becomes bluer and the actual light output (lumens) decreases.

Peter

Does this affect the warranty?

Does this affect the warranty?

the only time an aftermarket part will effect the warranty is if the part can be directly linked to whatever problem/part failure you have. check out the magnuson-moss act.

In other words, it will affect the warranty on the light bulbs (possibly the light assembly, or wiring if the bulbs cause some other issue such as discoloration or melting, but this is highly unlikely).

Welcome to the Forum FEARLESS.:wavey:
Whichever kit you decide upon, remember that the higher the "k" (Kelvin) number is, the less light it puts out. The number 4300k HID's are as close to actual daylight as you can get. As that number goes up, the light becomes bluer and the actual light output (lumens) decreases.

Peter

thanks for the welcome peterk9 i went with 6ks i like the more output but with a hint of blue. im never gone over that in any of my vehicles. not a fan of the purple lights. i also went with H11 LED fog lights that matched the HIDs because ive had problems with my other vehicles in cracked housings because of the heat the HIDs produce and the heat out here in Phoenix

267885_615979148428172_1518101966_n.jpg

fearless, what brand kit did you go with and did you install it yourself? ive installed a set on my avalanche but its kind of turning me off buying some for my wifes ex since people are saying you have to drill a hole in the dust cap.

thanks for the welcome peterk9 i went with 6ks i like the more output but with a hint of blue. im never gone over that in any of my vehicles. not a fan of the purple lights. i also went with H11 LED fog lights that matched the HIDs because ive had problems with my other vehicles in cracked housings because of the heat the HIDs produce and the heat out here in Phoenix
I have the OEM HID lamps and I find that they do have a very light blue colour to them. I heard a golf tournament was delayed a day due to snow in Arizona! I suppose it is gone now but if you want any, I have plenty here.;)
Happy motoring.

Peter

fearless, what brand kit did you go with and did you install it yourself? ive installed a set on my avalanche but its kind of turning me off buying some for my wifes ex since people are saying you have to drill a hole in the dust cap.

Not drill, poke or cut (it's a rubber cap). It's a 3-5$ part, you should have no concerns mangling it. If you're concerned, but a new set to poke the holes in.

i bought them off a local store here in the phx metro area. ive used them before and have not had a problem with them. they are German HID kits.
I mounted it myself and yes i did cut the dust cap. the kit had the rubber gromet built into the wires so it would seal the cap hole u cut into. I dont ever plan to remove them so im not to concerned with the hole or gettin new caps.

I have the OEM HID lamps and I find that they do have a very light blue colour to them. I heard a golf tournament was delayed a day due to snow in Arizona! I suppose it is gone now but if you want any, I have plenty here.;)
Happy motoring.

Peter

Yes there was some snow here. i was concerned for a while since people in phx are not the best drivers when its dry, even worse when its wet and i didnt want to imagine when it snowed. its all gone now and its 65* outside now, now we will be going from snow to extreme heat in a couple months time.

In other words, it will affect the warranty on the light bulbs (possibly the light assembly, or wiring if the bulbs cause some other issue such as discoloration or melting, but this is highly unlikely).
Thanks guys. I was going to get the dealer to upgrade my Sports with the HID lamps. My Ltd has awesome Headlamps. The Sport ones are disappointing for sure.

Thanks guys. I was going to get the dealer to upgrade my Sports with the HID lamps. My Ltd has awesome Headlamps. The Sport ones are disappointing for sure.
I have been told that the HID lamps on the 2013 models have been improved over previous ones. I have a 2011 and in my opinion, the HID lamps in it are no better than the upgraded halogen bulbs I installed in my previous Highlander.

Peter

Back