New here. Parts lists or parts links sticky for 2nd Gen Explorers? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New here. Parts lists or parts links sticky for 2nd Gen Explorers?

PopsRage

Reaction score
City, State
Des Moines, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer 5.0L AWD
I have a 97 Explorer XLT and a 98 Mercury Mountaineer, both 5.0L, Automatic, AWD. They were farm trucks and in rough shape with lots of rust and other problems. These will be first cars for my older two boys.

Both will need all new brakes (hubs, rotors, calipers, pads, hoses, drums, shoes, drum parts kit, etc.) Is there a good list of replacement parts or recommendation for a good online source that will have most of it?

Suspension needs replaced also, and I was considering a mild lift, like plus or minus 2". Is there a parts list out there somewhere? I've watched a few YouTube videos and have searched this forum, but would just like a list or lists if someone has made one. I figured there would be a "sticky" about that already but couldn't find it.

I apologize for breaking rules. Can't figure out how to delete this and repost in the correct forum.
Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I apologize for breaking rules. Can't figure out how to delete this and repost in the correct forum.
Thank you.
Simply ask :)
@Rick or any staff

Welcome to the forum's

Looking forward to seeing pictures
Lots of helpful folks here

welcome to EF!! i get alot of my parts from Rockauto. just look for what you want, and then post what you want here and we shall critique! for brakes i went with the powerstop drillslot rotors and the pads, however for the price, next im going to use the ford sueprduty pads. for hoses i used raybestos iirc, mater cyl was wagner, parking brake might have been poerstop too, hubs i used SKF, and iirc powerstop makes caliper, but dont remeber. for suspension, bushings i use MOOG or energy suspension for poly ones. if youre doing the control arms, imo replce the passenger side with the 1 piece design (or was it driver... brain fried) , they can be purchased with the bushigns already installed, and ive learned it aint worth pressing new bushings in when you can get a new one, but it is an option too. for the lift, if its only 2" you can do a torsion bar crank, and in the rear use shackles or OME lift springs, then throw some 31" tires on. i should make one of those! hopefully i'll remember this summer! ive probably forgotten something in this list. I've done lots of suspension work over time, and redid all the braking relted stuff last summer, so feel free to ask me anything on that stuff, still a bit fresh in the memory! happy to help if you need anything!

Got something quickly written up!!! this is what i usually use for all different kinds of stuff, so its not just suspension!

Sites: RockAuto, TousleyFordParts, Amazon, EBay, ExplorerForum, CarSuppliesWarehouse, Levittown Ford Parts, Ford Racing, LMC truck

Sources:

Bushings: Energy Suspension, Moog
Seals/Gaskets: FelPro, Victor Reinz
Tires: Toyo, BFG, General, Falken
Audio: Kicker, Rockford Fosgate, Pioneer
Transmission: TransTec, Raybestos, Borg Warner, Sonnax
Engine: Melling, Motorcraft
Filters: Purolator, Wix, Motorcraft
Springs: ARB, Deaver, Ford,
Shocks: KYB, ARB, Fox, Bilstien, Rancho
Brakes: raybestos, wagner, powerstop, ford sueprduty
Driveline: Spicer, SKF, Ford Racing

I have a 97 Explorer XLT and a 98 Mercury Mountaineer, both 5.0L, Automatic, AWD. They were farm trucks and in rough shape with lots of rust and other problems. These will be first cars for my older two boys.

Both will need all new brakes (hubs, rotors, calipers, pads, hoses, drums, shoes, drum parts kit, etc.) Is there a good list of replacement parts or recommendation for a good online source that will have most of it?

Suspension needs replaced also, and I was considering a mild lift, like plus or minus 2". Is there a parts list out there somewhere? I've watched a few YouTube videos and have searched this forum, but would just like a list or lists if someone has made one. I figured there would be a "sticky" about that already but couldn't find it.

Thank you.
Welcome. Many folks here think I'm Crazy, but I SWEAR BY DETROIT AXLE. For front end parts, and others. My 99 Explorer was a total Rustbucket, but Runs and Rides like a Champ. The PROS on here use some name brand stuff, but MOOG and many others all come from China just like Detroit Axle.
My Ex is the 5th vehicle I've used Detroit Axle as The main suspension source through Amazon, and so far, Not ONE Issue.
They are 02, and 06 PT Cruiser, 90 GMC Sierra, 01 GMC Jimmy, now 99 Explorer. Shop around, but I've saved Thousands with D.A.

interesting that you like DA! i had some parts from them, and ended up having to get replacements for em. brake pads wore really quickly, faded, dusted after one drive. bushings cracked easily (granted i went to poly after, so cant compare to moog) and a hub that ate itself rather quicjly. imo, the chinese made moog stuff aint too good, but the american moog stuff is where its at. i notice that the chinese moog aint as good as american moog. maybe jsuy my experience though. for me DA is a mixed bag, great pricing wise and if you plan to flip the vehicle to sell, but not long term imo, but thats just my experience.

Back