New here, seriously looking at buying. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New here, seriously looking at buying.

my3peas

Reaction score
City, State
Houston
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer
I don't now how I ended up here. Monday morning we set out to look at new vehicles and the 2012 Ford Explorer was nowhere on my radar. I'd had two ford vehicles 15ish years ago and both had issues that left a bad Ford taste in my mouth...anyhow, Monday morning, with intentions of going to Toyota, I somehow landed in a ford dealership.

Test drove an XLT with options and found myself very pleased. But the sticker price left me feeling doubtful and we still had Toyota to look at. Crunched a few numbers with the salesmen, but he knew we weren't going to commit that day. So we left there, went next door to Mazda and test drove the mid-level cx9. After being in the explorer, the cx9, even at mid-level options, felt...disposable? You know, the way a disposable camera feels, plastic-y and pieced together. The ride seemed rougher and it seemed less responsive...on to Toyota to drive the highlander. The highlander was a louder drive than the Mazda, and the seats were not comfortable at all. The interior seemed to be somewhere between the explorer and the Mazda, but...I think I knew in my heart that I wanted the explorer...ok, so that's how I got here ;-)

I've been researching online, trying to find the best bang for my buck, but also trying to find the options I want as we tend to keep our vehicles for a long time. Up until now, my husband has always done the shopping/negotiating and, me...well, I just take what he brings home...But this time, I'm ready to be more involved. So, I'm trying to get some info and see how I am doing as far as that bottom dollar deal.

Right now I have a salesmen who found a 2012 XLT w/ pkg 205a, power lift gate and navigation. He's quoting me 33,860 without even going into the dealership. I'm sure that includes the $1000 incentive. I want to be fair to the salesmen, but I also want to get the best deal I can. In your, more educated opinions, how do you feel about this and how much more room do you think I have to negotiate?

Whew, long post! Sorry about that, I can be wordy :) loving the info on this forum!

ETA: truecar.com is saying the great deal is around the price I am currently quoted with the average sales in my area being appx 34,5-35,5.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We love our '11 XLT with 202A and do not regret our purchase.
However, if I was buying now, I would go for a MY'13, which can already be ordered.
If you are leaseing, then I would go with the MY'12 you mentioned.

Welcome to the Forum my3peas. :wavey: Nice to have you aboard.
If you lean toward getting the 2013, which is just around the corner, make sure you can get the same deal as on the 2012. The deal on the 2012 may be just a good one in an effort to clear them off the lot.
I had an '09 Highlander on a 4 year lease and a friend took over the remaining 2 1/2 years remaining on the lease. I found the Explorer's ride just a little stiffer and didn't notice any difference in the seats. You will sit a little higher in the Explorer. I've attached a side by side picture of both. I think the new Highlander is still much the same as the '09.

Peter

Attachments

• DSC_0244a.jpg
    DSC_0244a.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 435

The new highlanders are more "squinty" and "bug-eyed" on the front grille and headlights than that picture. It was a real turn-off for me.

My 25 year old sister thinks the back seats of the explorer are 100 times more comfortable than the Highlander. She's rode 2+ hours in the 3rd row of each, and the Explorer wins hands down! I love my Explorer and don't regret buying it for a second!

I've noticed that 'bug eyed' look on a few of the newer vehicles. I agree, it doesn't appeal to me. As for the 3rd row seat, they have never been used in my case. In the Highlander, I never even pulled them up. There is only myself and one dog now, so the 3rd row stays folded.

Right now I have a salesmen who found a 2012 XLT w/ pkg 205a, power lift gate and navigation. He's quoting me 33,860 without even going into the dealership. I'm sure that includes the $1000 incentive. I want to be fair to the salesmen, but I also want to get the best deal I can. In your, more educated opinions, how do you feel about this and how much more room do you think I have to negotiate?

Whew, long post! Sorry about that, I can be wordy :) loving the info on this forum!

ETA: truecar.com is saying the great deal is around the price I am currently quoted with the average sales in my area being appx 34,5-35,5.

I was just above $34k on mine. '12, XLT Ecoboost, 205A with Nav and 5 year/60k extended warranty/ maint. plan.

I don't now how I ended up here. Monday morning we set out to look at new vehicles and the 2012 Ford Explorer was nowhere on my radar. I'd had two ford vehicles 15ish years ago and both had issues that left a bad Ford taste in my mouth...anyhow, Monday morning, with intentions of going to Toyota, I somehow landed in a ford dealership.

Test drove an XLT with options and found myself very pleased. But the sticker price left me feeling doubtful and we still had Toyota to look at. Crunched a few numbers with the salesmen, but he knew we weren't going to commit that day. So we left there, went next door to Mazda and test drove the mid-level cx9. After being in the explorer, the cx9, even at mid-level options, felt...disposable? You know, the way a disposable camera feels, plastic-y and pieced together. The ride seemed rougher and it seemed less responsive...on to Toyota to drive the highlander. The highlander was a louder drive than the Mazda, and the seats were not comfortable at all. The interior seemed to be somewhere between the explorer and the Mazda, but...I think I knew in my heart that I wanted the explorer...ok, so that's how I got here ;-)

I've been researching online, trying to find the best bang for my buck, but also trying to find the options I want as we tend to keep our vehicles for a long time. Up until now, my husband has always done the shopping/negotiating and, me...well, I just take what he brings home...But this time, I'm ready to be more involved. So, I'm trying to get some info and see how I am doing as far as that bottom dollar deal.

I just purchased a 12 205A pkg power liftgate and nav for 34000 plus additional 1000 rebate. Hope this helps.

I just bought (12/4/11) a 2012 Wht Suede XLT with 205a, 20" chrome rims, nav, BLIS, Premium 5/yr 75k warranty, mudflaps, floor mats, cargo shade, hood deflector, and roof racks for $36,000. Looks like you are getting a pretty good deal. And I don't think you really have much more room to work with. Maybe have them give you a good deal on the warranty or something...my warranty was $925 which is close to cost.

I've only had the car since Monday but I'm loving it so far. I haven't had any issues at all with the car or MFT. I'm eagerly awaiting the MFT update though...the voice commands don't get recognized all the time, especially with the NAV. I've already got a lot of compliments on the car.

I test drove the highlander and preferred the Explorer in almost every category.

EDIT: Mine is a V6 4x4

Thanks so much everyone! I appreciate everyone's insight! I'll be sure to update once I land on a deal and take ownership!

You didn't mention if it was a V6, Ecoboost, FWD or 4WD. Those things affect price. Assuming a V6 with FWD, 205a with Nav & Power Lift Gate, the X-plan price is $35,094 not counting incentives ($1000 incentive right now). You should be able to get that price or a little lower. You should also register on the Ford website to have them send you a brochure. You may be eligible for a $750 coupon that they'll include in the brochure (have them email it to you for faster response).

...Whew, long post! Sorry about that, I can be wordy :) loving the info on this forum!

Welcome to the forum, my3peas! You can see from all the replies here that this is an awesome community to be part of. Let me know if there’s anything I can do to make your shopping experience a better one. :D

BTW, thanks to everyone who took the time to help! :)

Cory

Back