New here with a question. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New here with a question.

Bsmalls2

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 chrysler sebring
Guys I've always been a ford man, owned mustangs and such. Now I'm looking for something bigger. I 1st wanted an excursion until I saw how screwed you are if you roll one. Then I wanted a expedition cause I want something with good amount of leg room in the front and back. Never really looked at an explorer cause I just expected them to be smaller. Well my buddy just got a 2014 explorer and man that thing is roomy! My question is, is there any other year explorer before the 2011-2015 with this much interior space? I'm not really looking for a 600 car payment right now ha. Thanks guys in advance, and hopefully someone out there will be able to chime in!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Bsmalls2.:wavey:
Not having owned a pre 2011 Explorer, I don't really know the answer but I'm guessing the new 5th generation Explorers have more room.

Peter

I can only think of one
A6892075-EDC5-4C90-BD55-427DB2FC459C_zpskkrhngqk.jpg

We have owned 4 explorers and the 2011 on up do feel much larger inside than the pervious years. Most everything before those was nearly the same style and size since the beginning.

I Owned a 2005 XLT 4x4. I think it had about the same space but it was a bit longer and had a lower ceiling as it was a body on frame which cut into the ceiling/head space. The new Explorers look roomier because it has a high ceiling (due to the unibody design) and the seats are moved inboard causing it to appear to have more space lateral to the seat.

The 2005 Explorer XLT lists standard cargo interior capacity (rear seat folded) at 87.8 Cu. feet and the 2014 only list 80.7 with the rear seats folded down.

So the new style is about 7.8 Cu feet smaller but it "feels" roomier due to the higher ceiling and the space between where you sit and the door!

I Owned a 2005 XLT 4x4. I think it had about the same space but it was a bit longer and shorter as it was a body on frame ......
Now there's a neat trick.:scratch: I assume you meant longer and lower?;)

Peter

LOL Thanks Peter. I changed it!

Back